Grateful Dead/Allman Brothers/Jambands

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2020, 09:13 AM

Marshal Tucker band was here
Old 02-09-2020, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

i havent heard ANY Dead since ive been here, & some songs are just perfect for the squares. us blues, sugar magnolia are great dance songs. the closest to allman bros you will get is uncle bob's rock shop, if you havent seen them yet, give them a chance, they're pretty good. but yes, we DO need some Dark Star like-stuff down here
Old 02-09-2020, 11:02 AM

You missed a good one at the Savanna Center a few months back. The band was called Tribute, an Allman Brothers cover band. They rocked that place!
Old 02-09-2020, 11:07 AM

If you mean line dance, I agree 100%. The closest non dance rock band that plays the squares are The Hooligans. They're pretty good. As far as a Tull cover band playing here , as much as I'd like to see one, it will never happen here.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:08 PM

Use Google as they have everything. Also great entertainment as Old Osprey in Weirsdale.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
By far the best jamming guitarist that I ever saw play in the town squares is Todd Fulcher of the band "He Said, She Said". They were the one band I would schedule my time around so I wouldn't miss a show. Unfortunately, the band no longer appears to be part of the town square band rotation. I don't know this for certain, but I suspect they were dropped because the band was more appreciated by people who like good music then dancers? I will never understand why such a great band was dropped from the rotation while Scotter the DJ and a terrible disco band (I forgot the name, but I think it's Studio 77) continue to get regular gigs?
First, I agree with the original post. There is a lot of great 70’, 80’s and 90’s music that is not being played. The 501(don’t call us Blues) Band plays a little deeper rock and blues than the average dance band and will “jam” a song or two each set.

I disagree with this post in that I think Studio 77 is a very good group. They do play disco/dance music which is not my cup of tea, but they are very good musicians. The lead singer, Jana (from Indiana) sings in a couple of different groups. She is very talented and probably has the best female voice of all the performers on the square. We will go to hear this group because of her.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:09 PM

Well it's good to see I'm not alone. We'll be "shipping up to Boston" at the end of March but we just bought a place down here so I guess I'll have a little project to get into when we get back and get all set up with the house.

Perhaps if we can show them there is enough interest, the powers that be might be willing to give us a night once a month to see how it goes.

Keep throwing out any local bands that you think might be a fit (and feel free to link any youtube/audio, I'm always interested in hearing something new)

Might I suggest checking this out on youtube

Ryan Montbleau Band: Pacing Like Prince - Gathering of the Vibes

(Killer xylophone solo)
Old 02-09-2020, 06:51 PM
Veteran member

Funkman: "we just bought a place down here so I guess I'll have a little project to get into when we get back and get all set up with the house.

Perhaps if we can show them there is enough interest, the powers that be might be willing to give us a night once a month to see how it goes.

Keep throwing out any local bands that you think might be a fit (and feel free to link any youtube/audio, I'm always interested in hearing something new)"

Me: Thumbs up on all three counts. And to the poster that said a Tull tribute band would never play here, never say never!
Old 02-09-2020, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,456 Times in 3,087 Posts

I can't imagine any band that could do Ian Anderson justice by focusing on J.Tull music exclusively. A couple or three tunes, maybe. But I just won't ever "feel" right watching anyone but him and his band do Thick as a Brick or Songs from the Wood.

A band that is able to represent the prog rock genre overall - a few Tull, a few Moody Blues, a couple of Yes tunes, an ELP or three, King Crimson, Utopia, maybe even toss in a little Rush for whimsy. And generously scattered with the Dead and CSNY just to make sure everyone is still paying attention

You'd need drop-dead gorgeous harmony and killer keyboards (and a moog) to pull all of this off. It'd have to be just a once every few months show, there's no way they'd want to set up a moog every week on one of those town square stages.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to watch this:
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Fanfare For The Common Man - YouTube
Old 02-10-2020, 12:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

All of us that want to hear some of the music discussed in this thread are, unfortunately, barking up the wrong tree. It is all about gathering the most possible dancers, and people gawking at the dancers, as possible. It is simple economics, the more people, the more the local retail businesses paying rent will benefit. And the Villages business plan is about catering to home buyers and commercial business rental customers. Us old farts that enjoy the good old tunes are considered dinasoures. It's NOT about making existing homeowners happy, it's about selling new homes and bringing in crowds to spend money at the squares retail businesses. I understand the business model, the focus is catering to both the next generation of potential homeowners as well as attracting non-Villagers to come to the squares (who are younger crowds). I personally don't like it, but it is a reality that no one on TOV can change.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:54 AM
Default Dead, Allman Bros.

Check the schedule for The Sharon, Savannah Center and Orange Blossom Opry in Weirsdale. Saw an Allman Bros tribute band not long ago and they occasionally bring in tribute bands. I doubt you'll find any at the squares. Sat the 15th a Guns n Roses tribute band is playing in Leesburg for the Mardi Gras celebration and they will probably have bands at Bike Fest in April that would be what you're looking for.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I have never heard of the term "prog rock", but I googled it and Jethro Tull, ELO, ELP, and Yes all came up in my search. All bands I like a lot, other bands I don't really know or never listened to also came up. But I can say that any band that plays Tull or ELO in the squares would definitely get my attention.
Since the Hooligans from Orlando started playing, I go to the squares when are here, they all British Rock except time before they did Free Bird and the crowd at Brownwood went crazy, so they played it again.

The Villages Florida

Hooligans fans often wear their T-shirts to the shows, I got mine.

The Villages Florida

My previous favorite is Uncle Bob's Rock Shop, they been here about ten years but their set is getting a little stale. Last time I saw them about a year go they did add two Jethro Tull songs. The bass player who can also play keyboards on his guitar, sort of the Psychedelic Furs, also now plays the flute.

I've seen Jethro Tull twice. First time was 1972, they were probably the #1 band at time and it's is still the best show I've ever seen. Second time was 1995 and ELP was the opening act, it was somewhat boring. Ian Anderson lost some of that magic, I guess age will do that.

The Villages Florida

The closest you'll see around here to anything jamming, will be the tribute bands. Classic Rock Shows comes 2 or 3 times a year and plays an entire album followed by the hits. They're doing Fleetwood Mac coming up soon. I saw them do Pink Floyd last year, really good.

Orange Blossom Opry is a sort of country music hall on Rt 42 in Weirsdale. They have some rock, Marshall Tucker was there two Saturday's ago. Most of the stuff is the same as TV, oldies in pop and country, but keep your eye on the place.

I happen to catch the Allman Brothers in 1969 at a bar in St. Petersburg. At the time they hadn't released their debut album and I was blown away. Two drummers, blonde hair guy on a red guitar and the keyboard player singing. I never forgot that show. It was at a club called The Electric Zoo, which is long gone.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:25 AM
Platinum member

Uncle John's Band - Calendar

Uncle John's Band The Music Never Stopped at 2nd Annual Maddox Ranch HomeTeam Rally - YouTube

HOME | Unlimited Devotion

UNLIMITED DEVOTION 2016 - YouTube
Old 02-10-2020, 09:37 AM
Default Uncle Bob's Rock Shop is the best

One night at Sumter Landing, I watched in amazement as line dancers hoofed it to "Cross-Eyed Mary." I even took a video to send to friends up north. Uncle Bob's Rock Shop has a nice set of Tull, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd that is unmatched by any other local band.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:42 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Don't forget Penta
Steve
Closed Thread

Tags
grateful, wrong, and/or, point, direction

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.