Honest question from an uninformed old person.

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2018, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
...Elvis was not music to your parents’ ears. Swing was once considered obscene. The waltz was risqué. And so on and so forth. Like it or not, rap is here to stay and, like most art forms, evolves as time goes on.
My dad must of been ahead of his time, he was a huge Elvis fan. He was no youngster, he born in 1928. When he was filming 'Follow that Dream' in Yankeetown, Elvis made an appearance at Weeki Wachee Springs and we drove 60 miles to see him.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post

I refer to it as crap.
No worse than the music piped into the Town Squares.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
No worse than the music piped into the Town Squares.
Is that profiling?
Old 06-19-2018, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Is that profiling?
No. Just bad, outdated music

Last edited by photo1902; 06-19-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,563 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Rap performers compose their "songs" in advance and then perform them or record them.

Most are counter-culture and anti-police. They sometimes call for the murder of police officers.

Much of it is beyond racy. It is obscene.

Successful rappers can become quite wealthy. Some die from overdoses of drugs. Others from shooting each other.

I have no use for them.

totally! They are the scum of the music entertainment world. I'm not a prude that listens to classical music or piano (I like all kinds of rock); just can't stand rap.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:45 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
This is an excellent post. It points to the damage profiling can do.
True that!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Many things said here remind me of what was said about The Beatles, Elvis, and others. "That's not music". "They're all on drugs". "They have dirty, greasy long hair". "Kids should not be allowed to listen to that stuff". "The words are obscene" (Remember Louis, Louis?).

One generation need not enjoy or understand the music of the next generation. It has always, It will always be.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:12 PM
Platinum member

You can find real music if you look hard enough

Old 06-19-2018, 09:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
True that!
Isn't profiling when you group all together and judge against ? Wouldn't it be profiling to summarily dismiss the kind of music played on our Villages radio station as old and outdated?

Maybe profiling is sometimes good and beneficial? As a way of categorizing what we like and don't like? I don't like dirty looking houses and unkempt lawns. I don't think well of the inhabitants. It makes me think they are lazy, but they could be sick. We all sometimes come to conclusions based on appearances. It is human. It probably helps keep us safe and alive. It is sometimes intuitive and protects us against harmful situations.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:00 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Rap is crap. It is not music in any sense.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-19-2018, 10:36 PM
Sage

Taking out the emotion is the bottom line. Is it music, yes. Do you have like it, no. Is it different from other forms of music, yes. Do the people who like rap music care what others think of rap, no. Will it destroy our society, no. Will this also pass, yes.

“Rapping is a musical form of vocal delivery that incorporates "rhyme, rhythmic speech, and street vernacular", which is performed or chanted in a variety of ways, usually over a backbeat or musical accompaniment. “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2018, 04:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

My kids used a Hip-Hop barberShop in Elizabeth N.J. I decided to take them there one day. They seemed to be happy that I was interested in what goes on in their lives. Once inside the Barbershop the rules of the road were posted and enforced. One of the rules was no cursing. The place was neat and clean. I'll be honest even though I didn't understand one word they were singing my foot was tapping because whatever was on was a catchy tune. My kids interpreted some things for me and they liked that I was cool in front of their friends. Just like on here my opinion wasn't going to change anything so I kept it to myself.

Rap is a thing. Our like or dislike isn't going to change it being there or will our dislike change the opinion of those who listen to it. It is here to stay.

I have turned into someone like my dad, 640 AM and some talk radio suite me just fine as long as the talk radio isn't set to the enemy station. I know 80% of you know what I mean. Was up wit dat Homey! Lol.

They even had a guy who watches your car for you while you are getting a shape up. They don't call it a haircut. How nice!
Old 06-20-2018, 05:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
My kids used a Hip-Hop barberShop in Elizabeth N.J. I decided to take them there one day. They seemed to be happy that I was interested in what goes on in their lives. Once inside the Barbershop the rules of the road were posted and enforced. One of the rules was no cursing. The place was neat and clean. I'll be honest even though I didn't understand one word they were singing my foot was tapping because whatever was on was a catchy tune. My kids interpreted some things for me and they liked that I was cool in front of their friends. Just like on here my opinion wasn't going to change anything so I kept it to myself.

Rap is a thing. Our like or dislike isn't going to change it being there or will our dislike change the opinion of those who listen to it. It is here to stay.

I have turned into someone like my dad, 640 AM and some talk radio suite me just fine as long as the talk radio isn't set to the enemy station. I know 80% of you know what I mean. Was up wit dat Homey! Lol.

They even had a guy who watches your car for you while you are getting a shape up. They don't call it a haircut. How nice!
IMHO best line in this discussion - Just like on here my opinion wasn't going to change anything so I kept it to myself.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-20-2018, 06:11 AM
Platinum member

Check out this site -- if you don't consider it hysterical, you lost a few years somewhere:

You've been Rick-Rolled - YouTube

LOL -- Just yesterday had to explain this to my sister.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:27 AM
Sage

I love musicals and I am sure that this song isn't politically correct, but I love it. And the men look handsome to me.

there is nothing like a dame - Bing video

Tags
make, rappers, involved, recordings, music

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.