Honest question from an uninformed old person.

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2018, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Rap/hip hop has been around since at least the 1920’s. It was frequently used to give news that affected black communities but would not be covered by local media.

Some is made up on the spot, especially if a battle. Some is carefully crafted. If you can’t understand the words, find and read the lyrics. Not all is obscene, sexist and violent. Some speak to loving their family, their children, how they’ve changed, social issues, past history. Some advocate violence and spew nothing but obscenities. Enimem started with rap of childhood abuse and dreams of revenge to his mother. Now, his rap waxes poetic about his daughter and his hopes and dreams for her. 50 Cent started as a thug, tats and bullet holes. Today, he is a successful businessman, has had tats removed, raps about non-violent ways to be a man. The 20 YO murdered in Miami was a complete and total punk. Yet, his rap was a message of hope that he was changing, that he would grow into a man proud of his actions.

It may not be music to your ears, but it is to many. Elvis was not music to your parents’ ears. Swing was once considered obscene. The waltz was risqué. And so on and so forth. Like it or not, rap is here to stay and, like most art forms, evolves as time goes on.
Very good answer Red. Rapping - Wikipedia
Old 06-20-2018, 11:21 AM
Veteran member

I don't get the appeal of Rap/Hip-Hop, but then I don't get the appeal of Polka or Country, for that matter. That doesn't mean that they aren't all legitimate music or that I don't like music. A lot of what I like to listen to doesn't appeal to many other people, including some industrial metal (like Rammstein), some techno/electronic dance music (like Crystal Method), some electronic (like Tangerine Dream), some Avent Garde (like Talking Heads), some experimental (like Frank Zappa), some classical, some jazz and some rock & roll. And there are artists in each of those types of music that have met horrible ends and artists that led wonderful and inspiring lives.

A friend of mine who was an artist define art as "Whatever you can get away with." I think a definition of music would be much the same.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Rap/hip hop has been around since at least the 1920’s. It was frequently used to give news that affected black communities but would not be covered by local media.

Some is made up on the spot, especially if a battle. Some is carefully crafted. If you can’t understand the words, find and read the lyrics. Not all is obscene, sexist and violent. Some speak to loving their family, their children, how they’ve changed, social issues, past history. Some advocate violence and spew nothing but obscenities. Enimem started with rap of childhood abuse and dreams of revenge to his mother. Now, his rap waxes poetic about his daughter and his hopes and dreams for her. 50 Cent started as a thug, tats and bullet holes. Today, he is a successful businessman, has had tats removed, raps about non-violent ways to be a man. The 20 YO murdered in Miami was a complete and total punk. Yet, his rap was a message of hope that he was changing, that he would grow into a man proud of his actions.

It may not be music to your ears, but it is to many. Elvis was not music to your parents’ ears. Swing was once considered obscene. The waltz was risqué. And so on and so forth. Like it or not, rap is here to stay and, like most art forms, evolves as time goes on.
Red...how did the highlighted part, above work? Where did they gather back then? In church? What kind of news, exactly? I don't understand that part at all?
Old 06-20-2018, 12:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Many things said here remind me of what was said about The Beatles, Elvis, and others. "That's not music". "They're all on drugs". "They have dirty, greasy long hair". "Kids should not be allowed to listen to that stuff". "The words are obscene" (Remember Louis, Louis?). One generation need not enjoy or understand the music of the next generation. It has always, It will always be.
I like your post.

Last edited by Barefoot; 06-20-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
Rap has many poetry elements,
Most rappers cannot sing, like elephants.
Folk songwriters with attitudes,
Who think their words are platitudes.
Some are written, others not.
Often listeners say, "What?"
Are they songs without a beat?
Because, wouldn't that be neat?
Most rhyming skills are capable,
But never one to be memorable.

"Peace and Love, Man," frowning with arms crossed.
Excellent!
Old 06-20-2018, 12:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Check out this site -- if you don't consider it hysterical, you lost a few years somewhere:

You've been Rick-Rolled - YouTube

LOL -- Just yesterday had to explain this to my sister.
Uh,... could you explain it to me? I don't get what's so funny.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Excellent!
Thank you!

I was beginning to wonder if anyone here appreciated sarcasm. I tried to show that anyone, even a senior citizen, can rap. But, that doesn't make it music.

(I also don't get the Rick-Rolled video.)
Old 06-20-2018, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Can't understand the words? Also true of a great many songs from the 50's and 60's. It doesn't have a melody so it's not music. Then toss away Gene Krupa. As a bastion of my community I find it offense. That is exactly what art often should do. It should annoy you, challenge your assumptions, speak truth to power, show your least attractive attributes, A glamour shot is not art. Art can celebrate beauty but in its most powerful form it does not. Think Guernica.

Quote:
Seize the moment try to freeze it and own it, squeeze it and hold it. ‘Cause we consider these minutes golden. Sing for the moment
Old 06-20-2018, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorage View Post
Just think: in 40 years, there will be rappers on the squares!

Ohhh the horror!

AWESOME (and very accurate) point!
Old 06-20-2018, 02:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
This is an excellent post. It points to the damage profiling can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
True that!
YEP!
Old 06-20-2018, 02:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Check out this site -- if you don't consider it hysterical, you lost a few years somewhere:

You've been Rick-Rolled - YouTube

LOL -- Just yesterday had to explain this to my sister.
I was a moderator on one truck site, and a member of a few others, and it became a big joke to constantly 'Rick-Roll' someone...with what was being touted as a 'technical' or a 'how to' link.

ABC News Rick Rolls 4 Million Americans - YouTube
Old 06-20-2018, 03:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Can't understand the words? Also true of a great many songs from the 50's and 60's. It doesn't have a melody so it's not music. Then toss away Gene Krupa. As a bastion of my community I find it offense. That is exactly what art often should do. It should annoy you, challenge your assumptions, speak truth to power, show your least attractive attributes, A glamour shot is not art. Art can celebrate beauty but in its most powerful form it does not. Think Guernica.

Interesting commentary. Although your segue from rap to art is confusing.

I disagree with your singular viewpoint on art. Guernica - Is a famous piece of artwork. Why is it considered art? Because of the artist? Because of the artistic themes or unique artistic style of the artist? Would it be art if you did not know what the images represented? I believe it is the beauty of all those forms of expression together not of the challenges it creates. The challenge should be of the creator, not to challenge one to interpret it. Think: "The Mona Lisa," "The Starry Night."

Definition google:
art - "the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power."

Re: Your quote: Eminem – Sing for the Moment Lyrics | Genius Lyrics
Poetic? - No doubt about it.
Social Commentary - Absolutely
Artistic - Sure
Art? - Only time will tell.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:14 PM
Sage

I have read some VERY interesting comments on this thread but still think I like Night on Bald Mountain better than;

I see you standin' there and know you cool.

You ain't no rapper and you ain't no fool.

You talkin sweet baby and I hear you mama

You ringin' my chimes and makin me warmah

Howm I doin????
Old 06-20-2018, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have read some VERY interesting comments on this thread but still think I like Night on Bald Mountain better than;

I see you standin' there and know you cool.

You ain't no rapper and you ain't no fool.

You talkin sweet baby and I hear you mama

You ringin' my chimes and makin me warmah

Howm I doin????
Well then I would say you do know what rap is.

I like Night on Bald Mountain. I dislike jazz. I like oldies rock and up to the '90s. I love classical music. I don't like country.

I don't care if I don't know what they are. To each his own.

Here's Mozart done on a banjo. Watch the musician's face. How can you not love how he's into his music. That can be true with any artist in any form of music.
Rondo Alla Turca - Fast Banjo! - Jamie Dupuis - YouTube
Old 06-20-2018, 04:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Well then I would say you do know what rap is.

I like Night on Bald Mountain. I dislike jazz. I like oldies rock and up to the '90s. I love classical music. I don't like country.

I don't care if I don't know what they are. To each his own.

Here's Mozart done on a banjo. Watch the musician's face. How can you not love how he's into his music. That can be true with any artist in any form of music.
Rondo Alla Turca - Fast Banjo! - Jamie Dupuis - YouTube
Anything is a possibility.

(I just finished a Jonathan Kellerman novel)

Tags
make, rappers, involved, recordings, music

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.