The Hooligans Aren't Not of this Earth

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2021, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Oh I am SO relieved. I thought this was gonna be another political post. I should have known better. Hooligans would have been a euphemism.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
Guess I'm the odd man out. I can't stand them. Too loud and too raucous. I prefer "easier" music......I like Second Slice, Cadillac Jack, Smokin Torpedoes.
We agree, couldn't dance much to them. Not for us.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
Guess I'm the odd man out. I can't stand them. Too loud and too raucous. I prefer "easier" music......I like Second Slice, Cadillac Jack, Smokin Torpedoes.
You might mean Cactus Jack & the Cadillacs who I've seen several times and they're not a whole lot different than the Hooligans, the only real difference is the Hooligans play all British Rock. Cactus Jack plays a lot of late 60's psych rock which is some of my favorites. This is off the Cactus Jack's website of some of the bands they play;

The Beatles, Beach Boys, Rolling Stones, Steppenwolf, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Eagles, Deep Purple, Huey Lewis and the News, Herman's Hermits, Tommy James and the Shondells, Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, Santana, Bachman Turner Overdrive, John Mellancamp, Glenn Frey, Creedence Clearwater Revival and David Bowie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet
We agree, couldn't dance much to them. Not for us.
You must of been a regular on American Bandstand and Dick Clark asks how did you like the band?
Old 01-16-2021, 11:02 PM
Veteran member

Question for Moderator (or anyone): How do you edit the title of a thread? The Hooligans Are Not of this Earth is what I meant to say.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Question for Moderator (or anyone): How do you edit the title of a thread? The Hooligans Are Not of this Earth is what I meant to say.
Go to your original post. Hit edit. Hit "Go Advanced" then edit the title. Not sure if there's a time limit set on this forum for how long the edit function is available though.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-17-2021, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The vocalist of the Hooligans Kurt Frohlich has 3 different gigs going. The Acoustic Edge, The Hooligans and the Spazmatics. He's playing somewhere in Florida just about every night.

Here's a Spazmatics video, which is more 80's new wave and pop.

Spazmatics performing in Sebastian, Florida - YouTube

The Villages Florida

Speaking of local talent, Sarasota is not that far. This guy plays pubs, restaurants and just about anywhere in Sarasota and Bradenton and when he doesn't have a gig you'll find him on St. Armands Key in the circle. He has 624,000 followers on youtube and probably a 100 videos. He plays it solo but it sounds like a band and then other times he'll have real backup. Here's my favorite, outside at St. Armands Key by himself and someone requests Jimi Hendrix and he couldn't be more modest about this talent. This guy came here from the Ukraine about 15 years ago and found his own career and his pretty assistant is his girlfriend.

When Someone Requests a Jimi Hendrix Song - YouTube

The Villages Florida
Kurt was the lead singer and guitarist of The L.A. Guns. While he is the leader of The Hooligans, I wouldn't describe him as the lead singer. The drummer does a most of the Who and Led Zeppelin vocals. He is also an incredible drummer. One of the best I've ever seen including Bonham, Baker and all the rest.

The band is fantastic however, I don't like their versions of some of the earlier British Invasion music. They turn The Beatles and The Stones into heavy metal music. It's not that they don't perform them well, I just prefer the original versions without the heavy drums and distorted guitars. Then again, I play a lot of early British Invasion and especially Beatles and am considered somewhat of an expert on The Beatles so I probably hear things a bot different than the average person.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Kurt was the lead singer and guitarist of The L.A. Guns.
Just for the record, he's a current member according to their website and a recent chat I had with Kurt as mentioned above, and it makes me wonder about the future of the Hooligans:

L.A. GUNS
Old 01-18-2021, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Just for the record, he's a current member according to their website and a recent chat I had with Kurt as mentioned above, and it makes me wonder about the future of the Hooligans:

L.A. GUNS
I spoke with Kurt a few weeks ago and he told me that an upcoming L.A. Guns tour has been canceled.

A lot of these bands sort of semi exist. The members are out doing things like Kurt is doing here and when opportunities for tours or recordings come about, they get together. Steve Riley, the drummer for L.A Guns, grew up in my home town where I played drums in a local rock band. Steve has several projects going on including acting in movies.

Kurt told me that he lived in Las Vegas for fifteen years and he often played with Frank DiMino who was the lead singer with Angel. Frank is also from my home town and was the lead singer in that band that I played drums in for ten years.

I think that The Hooligans and Spazmatics will be around for a while. We won't see them for a bit when Kurt goes on tour. He lives in Oviedo now so I suspect that when those tours are over that he will be back playing in and around The Villages.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Steve Riley, the drummer for L.A Guns, grew up in my home town where I played drums in a local rock band. Steve has several projects going on including acting in movies.

Kurt told me that he lived in Las Vegas for fifteen years and he often played with Frank DiMino who was the lead singer with Angel. Frank is also from my home town and was the lead singer in that band that I played drums in for ten years.
Very cool. So I see good old Revere gave birth to some talented people. I hear Freddy Cannon is from Revere too, which is also the home of the country's first public beach.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:36 PM
Veteran member

Uh oh. The Hooligans lost a couple of points. Now that I've seen them a bunch of times, I'm a little disappointed in the lack of variety in their setlists. For the most part, they seem to play the same songs over and over (albeit still impeccably).

It's kind of like paying $300 to see the Stones every few years only to hear them play the same ten songs they've been doing since the early '70s every time. But not exactly.

Hooligans and Stones in the same breath? Well there's that.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Uh oh. The Hooligans lost a couple of points. Now that I've seen them a bunch of times, I'm a little disappointed in the lack of variety in their setlists. For the most part, they seem to play the same songs over and over (albeit still impeccably).

It's kind of like paying $300 to see the Stones every few years only to hear them play the same ten songs they've been doing since the early '70s every time. But not exactly.

Hooligans and Stones in the same breath? Well there's that.
If you haven't seen Uncle Bob's Rock Shop, they were the only real hard rockers in town until the Hooligans appeared, they did Zeppelin, Floyd and even the Beatles. UBRC were fantastic but after about five years of hearing the same Eagles and Tom Petty songs they too got old. When Bowie died they added a couple of his songs and then they added a couple of Jethro Tull songs, but those have been the only real changes.

Their best number and still worth going to see is when they perform Tom Petty 'Runnin' Down a Dream'.

UNCLE BOB'S ROCK SHOP - RUNNIN' DOWN A DREAM - YouTube

Jethro Tull Locomotive Breath

Uncle Bob's Rock Shop ▶️ Locomotive Breath - YouTube

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 01-31-2021 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:17 PM
Veteran member

I’ve seen Uncle Bob’s once so far. They were great. They did Locomotive Breath, so that alone will send me back for more.

John, the other day I wanted to post that exact Winslow AZ meme but couldn’t figure out how to post pics. You’re the master picture poster. Please let us in on how to do it. Copy and paste doesn’t work and neither did the pic icon because my pics don’t have URLs. Thanks
Old 01-31-2021, 09:30 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

I LOVE the Hooligans and Spazmatics. They are excellent. There are a number of excellent bands that play the squares. How lucky are we to have talent like this in our community.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
...John, the other day I wanted to post that exact Winslow AZ meme but couldn’t figure out how to post pics. You’re the master picture poster. Please let us in on how to do it. Copy and paste doesn’t work and neither did the pic icon because my pics don’t have URLs. Thanks
Go to the website that has the photo you want to post, right click and scroll down to 'copy image address'. Then come back to the site you want to post. In the heading of the message are various tools, click on the one that looks like a post card, it's between the quote and envelope icons. Paste the address in the box, click OK and then you're done.

No picture from the online newspaper villages - news . com can be posted directly, they're blocked. So if I want to post one I post it on my Facebook page or some other third party site and then use that new address on TOTV.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:48 AM
Veteran member

Tags
hooligans, earth, songs, jaw, simply

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.