An Idea for Entertainment in the Squares

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2020, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,016 Times in 5,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
That hadn't occurred to me, I own a pickup truck so I could just sit in my chair in the bed of the truck, elevated with an adult beverage.
Unless you get there early be prepared to be far away from the music.

Years ago went to a free Simon and Garfunkel concert in Central Park. Heard them thru loudspeakers but never did get to see them.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
A wild guess but I would think when they do open the squares it will be ....bring your own chair
Steve
Other than the folks who could not carry their own chairs would not be a bad idea. Put down something to mark allowable spots and you have social distancing.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:04 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,549 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
I'm thinking that is not such a good idea simply because if you or I (reasonable people) want to go to say a 5pm event we would'nt stand a chance because of the folks that go and "save" their chairs (village style) at 9 a.m. Only because maybe there could be 300 to 400 fairly well spaced apart seats for 50,000 + villagers?

I agree to the outdoor concept for great air circulation but I know that it would be difficult before it would even start. Hey, that's my friends seat, it's taken! What are we 7 years old?
Less than 50 people will get up and go save a space for that kind of music.
Social distancing will not be a problem.
If that kind of music was popular here, it would be played at the squares on a regular basis. It is not.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post

Or a lecturer
I don't see a smile face emoji but this is a joke, right?

kathy
Old 06-16-2020, 06:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I don't see a smile face emoji but this is a joke, right?

kathy
Actually not. Would not draw a big crowd possibly so social distancing would work.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
If that kind of music was popular here, it would be played at the squares on a regular basis. It is not.
True, Shut, and that’s the point. Social distancing will require a fraction of the attendees that went to the big shows. I’m sure there are more than enough fans of mellow rock, folk, jazz, etc to occupy a much smaller, appropriately configured seating area.

The squares will be used, businesses patronized and Villagers entertained again. Win/win.

In 2 to 20 years when there’s a vaccine or cure, TV can return to its regularly scheduled programming <chuckle>
Old 06-16-2020, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,030 Times in 2,727 Posts

Quote:
Unless you get there early be prepared to be far away from the music.

Years ago went to a free Simon and Garfunkel concert in Central Park. Heard them thru loudspeakers but never did get to see them.
I was at that show, if my memory serves me correctly it was in 1980 or 1981. Never have seen so many people in one place in my entire life.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:16 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Steve Hogie Band is always good entertainment and draws small crowds, I like that! Plus it's my kind of music since I play guitar. Smokin Torpedo's also, small crowd, great music
I make it a point to see both whenever they play.
Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 06-16-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

What's to stop people from just picking up chairs and moving them?
And someone also asked about dancing...

I think you could trust attendees at a mellower concert to behave in a responsible way. If they are asked to follow a certain seating configuration, I think they will do so. Remember, it will be a smaller, more intimate crowd. Mature adults tend to go with the pack and would feel self-conscious and out of place if blatantly breaking the rules by moving chairs around, especially if signs are posted all throughout the venue prohibiting it. It would be similar to lighting up a cigarette in a no smoking zone.

I think we should be given the benefit of the doubt. If it turns out people are out of control, we could always put a stop to the shows again.

As for dancing, just put up signs saying something diplomatic about complying with CDC guidelines and therefore prohibiting dancing. Again, if signs are posted conspicuously, peer pressure would keep people from breaking the rules. And all the Karens (and Gladys Kravitzes) in TV would surely yell at them to sit down the moment they start.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:38 PM

I'm so tired of waiting on this hoax to play out, I'm going to live my life and not in fear all the time. If you are sick stay home, very simple
Old 06-16-2020, 09:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Wonder how they get away with allowing that.
Simple, no enforcement. The police aren't in that business and unless the dept of health is called (re Orlando) nothing will be done. Your safety is up to you, there is nobody who will take care of you except you.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-16-2020, 09:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I was at that show, if my memory serves me correctly it was in 1980 or 1981. Never have seen so many people in one place in my entire life.
As I recall about 300,000 or so people.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
The same people who enforce the social distancing at City Fire
City Fire is a private enterprise that can place tables in such a manner to comply with social distancing policies. In the squares people pick up and place the chairs anywhere they want. Is the staff actually going to confront people about where the chairs can go?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I played at a Central Park free concert back in the sixties. I also saw Lou Rawls at one. At that time they were sponsored by Shaefer Beer. I remember not being able to see where the crowd ended.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
music, rock, thought, squares, similar

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.