Isolate this. The Doobie Brothers - Black Water (Live in Isolation)

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2020, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
To say the Doobie Bros were nothing before Michael McDonald joined only meant you don't have a grasp of early to mid 70's rock music and what was played on rock and top 40 radio. The songs Listen to the Music, Black Water and China Grove were played non-stop when were released new. Michael McDonald has a catchy voice, and was asked to join, which he jumped at when Tom Johnston left to pursue a solo career. Tom after having just the one hit in '79 Savannah Nights, the Doobie Bros gladly took him back.

Before Michael McDonald joined in 1976 they had the hits with Tom Johnston and Patrick Simmons on vocals including Jesus is Just Alright, Listen to the Music, Long Train Runnin', China Grove, Rockin Down the Highway, South City Midnight Lady, Black Water, Another Park Another Sunday, Without You, Take me in your Arms and I Cheat the Hangman.

I bought the following albums when they were new, I don't own any that had Michael McDonald as a band member, I no longer considered them Doobie Bros. Michael McDonald as a solo act, I would probably go see him, but as part of the Doobie Bros, he turned them into a pop machine.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
you took the words right out of my mouth. major dittos
Old 05-21-2020, 10:46 AM
Default doobies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodi70 View Post
We just can't appreciate anything for it's own value, can we? EVERYTHING must be cause for controversy?
pretty damn cool !
Old 05-21-2020, 03:12 PM

"The Doobie Brothers Behind The Music - YouTube"

Carl, that is a GREAT documentary video.

And, I moved "Listen To The Music" to the top of https://thevillagerockers.com/theme-song/
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
[B]

I bought the following albums when they were new
I lost interest after the first album. Shifted my attention to the really exceptional stuff being produced that decade by Genesis, Pink Floyd, Van Der Graaf Generator, Gong, David Bowie, Caravan, Neil Young, King Crimson, Dead, etc. Competition was stiff.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
I lost interest after the first album. Shifted my attention to the really exceptional stuff being produced that decade by Genesis, Pink Floyd, Van Der Graaf Generator, Gong, David Bowie, Caravan, Neil Young, King Crimson, Dead, etc. Competition was stiff.
I had a much wider music taste. The album The Captain & Me by the Doobie Bros almost every song was great. On Stampede listen to the song I Cheat the Hangman.

I had the prog-rock stuff. I had every Gensis with Peter Gabriel and beyond until about '85. I had Peter Gabriel solo albums up to 2005, even his two albums sung in Deutsch I had the imports. I had every Kate Bush album and every picture sleeve 45 of hers and her Live at Hammersmith VHS video. David Bowie I had every album, Neil Young all of them, King Crimson all of them plus Adrian Belew instructional guitar VHS. I bought Dark Side of the Moon the month it was released.

I would add music to my listening enjoyment, I tried never to shut things out. When I sold off all my albums in 2011, I had 4,000 albums. I still have about 500 CD's, but I don't play them. I only get the videos, I still have over 300 concert DVD's but I don't play them, everything you can think is available on youtube for free and on my smart 75" TV with surround sound.

The Villages Florida

The Doobie Bros I Cheat the Hangman
Old 05-21-2020, 10:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I had a much wider music taste. The album The Captain & Me by the Doobie Bros almost every song was great. On Stampede listen to the song I Cheat the Hangman.

I had the prog-rock stuff. I had every Gensis with Peter Gabriel and beyond until about '85. I had Peter Gabriel solo albums up to 2005, even his two albums sung in Deutsch I had the imports. I had every Kate Bush album and every picture sleeve 45 of hers and her Live at Hammersmith VHS video. David Bowie I had every album, Neil Young all of them, King Crimson all of them plus Adrian Belew instructional guitar VHS. I bought Dark Side of the Moon the month it was released.

I would add music to my listening enjoyment, I tried never to shut things out. When I sold off all my albums in 2011, I had 4,000 albums. I still have about 500 CD's, but I don't play them. I only get the videos, I still have over 300 concert DVD's but I don't play them, everything you can think is available on youtube for free and on my smart 75" TV with surround sound.

The Villages Florida

The Doobie Bros I Cheat the Hangman
Glad to see a fellow Gabriel fan. The two Genesis albums after he left when Steve Hackett was still on board are phenomenal, too. Thanks for the Cheat the Hangman suggestion. Like a proggy CSN. Good stuff. I'm sure the Doobies were decent. I just got distracted like I said because there was so much competition. Even more now. I don't know how current bands survive. It's really gonna be a problem for them if they can't do concerts pretty soon.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Cheat the Hangman supports my theory that the best music is the stuff that's not a hit. I can't think of one band that's not true for. One of my favorite quotes in all of rockdom is from our man Peter Gabriel (paraphrasing): "I purposely put one crappy song on all my albums because I know that will be the hit."
Old 05-22-2020, 07:41 AM
Sage

Here's another hidden gem, Loneliness by Grand Funk from the album E Pluribus Funk.

Grand Funk Railroad - Loneliness - YouTube
Old 05-22-2020, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

I'll actually admit to liking Grand Funk (all my friends used to make fun of me). The Survival album itself is one hidden gem! Ya, I agree Loneliness is a great song. And they even have a hit that I like a lot, besides Closer to Home - from their ultra commercial period - Bad Time - the song with Leslie Gore influence all over it, of all people.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:21 PM

It's fun to debate, Tom Johnston vs. Micheal McDonald.

Yet, how about McDonald's piano playing?

Sweet Maxine
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:00 PM
Sage

Doobie Bros 2018 Live What a Fool Believes
Old 05-22-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Geez Michael, too many Big Macs?
Closed Thread

Tags
isolate, sound, smiles, big, video

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.