Isolate this. The Doobie Brothers - Black Water (Live in Isolation)

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-18-2020, 05:07 PM
rockandroller's Avatar
rockandroller rockandroller is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 190
Thanks: 2
Thanked 100 Times in 48 Posts
Default Isolate this. The Doobie Brothers - Black Water (Live in Isolation)

turn up the sound, then click here for video

big smiles everyone
__________________
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
  #2  
Old 05-18-2020, 05:21 PM
600th Photo Sq 600th Photo Sq is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 831
Thanks: 1
Thanked 274 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
I honestly believe these guys are terrific musicians, however billing themselves as " The Doobie Brothers " is a stretch at best.

Minus " Michael McDonald the voice and leader of " The Doobie Brothers " who for many, many years is no longer with them.

There are plenty of groups around touting themselves as ….. but the main person(s) are missing. Sad..
  #3  
Old 05-18-2020, 06:27 PM
laryb's Avatar
laryb laryb is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Buttonwood, formerly Dartmouth, Ma
Posts: 729
Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I believe these are the original members. McDonald joined them when lead singer Tom Johnston (the one with the bushy mustache) took ill. He was so popular that they kept him on, and he moved them to more main stream rock and soul. I've seen them several times, with and without McDonald, and they were always great. McDonald has done a lot of solo and studio work, and has been on Steely Dan albums. Saw him at the Melody Tent in Hyannis years ago, and have always been a fan
__________________
"I ain't as good as I once was,
But I'm as good once as I ever was!" Toby Keith
  #4  
Old 05-18-2020, 06:36 PM
rockandroller's Avatar
rockandroller rockandroller is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 190
Thanks: 2
Thanked 100 Times in 48 Posts
Default

"Steely Dan"

One of the most talented R&B groups, ever.

Their musicality is simply stunning.

And, their syncopated beat was an inspiration to many of us drummer.

https://thevillagerockers.com/steely-dan/
__________________
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
  #5  
Old 05-18-2020, 06:49 PM
laryb's Avatar
laryb laryb is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Buttonwood, formerly Dartmouth, Ma
Posts: 729
Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Also think Steely Dan was great, but sadly Walter Becker died, so we'll never have anything new. Probably some of the strangest lyrics ever (or at least I couldn't figure some of them out), yet somehow how it worked, and they had some of rock's finest songs
__________________
"I ain't as good as I once was,
But I'm as good once as I ever was!" Toby Keith
  #6  
Old 05-18-2020, 07:33 PM
600th Photo Sq 600th Photo Sq is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 831
Thanks: 1
Thanked 274 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
I believe these are the original members. McDonald joined them when lead singer Tom Johnston (the one with the bushy mustache) took ill. He was so popular that they kept him on, and he moved them to more main stream rock and soul. I've seen them several times, with and without McDonald, and they were always great. McDonald has done a lot of solo and studio work, and has been on Steely Dan albums. Saw him at the Melody Tent in Hyannis years ago, and have always been a fan
That's fine I associate " The Dooby Brothers with Michael McDonald as most do.

Without his presence and voice they are just another group. Be honest. Just as I mentioned many groups try to carry on without the Main Lead...and fail

I can mention many groups why bother.

Boring
  #7  
Old 05-18-2020, 08:53 PM
John_W's Avatar
John_W John_W is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove
Posts: 5,188
Thanks: 684
Thanked 1,014 Times in 500 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
That's fine I associate " The Dooby Brothers with Michael McDonald as most do.

Without his presence and voice they are just another group. Be honest. Just as I mentioned many groups try to carry on without the Main Lead...and fail

I can mention many groups why bother.

Boring
To say the Doobie Bros were nothing before Michael McDonald joined only meant you don't have a grasp of early to mid 70's rock music and what was played on rock and top 40 radio. The songs Listen to the Music, Black Water and China Grove were played non-stop when were released new. Michael McDonald has a catchy voice, and was asked to join, which he jumped at when Tom Johnston left to pursue a solo career. Tom after having just the one hit in '79 Savannah Nights, the Doobie Bros gladly took him back.

Before Michael McDonald joined in 1976 they had the hits with Tom Johnston and Patrick Simmons on vocals including Jesus is Just Alright, Listen to the Music, Long Train Runnin', China Grove, Rockin Down the Highway, South City Midnight Lady, Black Water, Another Park Another Sunday, Without You, Take me in your Arms and I Cheat the Hangman.

I bought the following albums when they were new, I don't own any that had Michael McDonald as a band member, I no longer considered them Doobie Bros. Michael McDonald as a solo act, I would probably go see him, but as part of the Doobie Bros, he turned them into a pop machine.


The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 05-19-2020 at 08:40 AM.
  #8  
Old 05-19-2020, 07:04 AM
Goodi70 Goodi70 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Default

We just can't appreciate anything for it's own value, can we? EVERYTHING must be cause for controversy?
  #9  
Old 05-19-2020, 08:35 AM
Mel6054 Mel6054 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So we saw Steely Dan in Cleveland sometime in the 70s ......maybe 12th row center. In front of us was an older couple way out of their age group. I spoke to the couple after the concert and told them I really liked the concert and it was good to see people “their age” like them also. She replied.........”I should say we like them ......Donald Fagen is my son”!!
  #10  
Old 05-19-2020, 08:54 AM
Ronlynch@comcast.net Ronlynch@comcast.net is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 25
Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Thank You!
  #11  
Old 05-19-2020, 11:12 AM
symaster symaster is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Best band.. Great sound. Wish the would come to TV.
  #12  
Old 05-19-2020, 11:29 AM
rockandroller's Avatar
rockandroller rockandroller is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 190
Thanks: 2
Thanked 100 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by symaster View Post
Best band.. Great sound. Wish the would come to TV.
Best song

Reeling in the Years

and another favorite, with "dueling" guitars

Hotel Caifornia

but then, I admit to being a huge Joe Walsh fan.
__________________
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
  #13  
Old 05-19-2020, 11:50 AM
jmcote jmcote is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1
Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
To say the Doobie Bros were nothing before Michael McDonald joined only meant you don't have a grasp of early to mid 70's rock music and what was played on rock and top 40 radio. The songs Listen to the Music, Black Water and China Grove were played non-stop when were released new. Michael McDonald has a catchy voice, and was asked to join, which he jumped at when Tom Johnston left to pursue a solo career. Tom after having just the one hit in '79 Savannah Nights, the Doobie Bros gladly took him back.

Before Michael McDonald joined in 1976 they had the hits with Tom Johnston and Patrick Simmons on vocals including Jesus is Just Alright, Listen to the Music, Long Train Runnin', China Grove, Rockin Down the Highway, South City Midnight Lady, Black Water, Another Park Another Sunday, Without You, Take me in your Arms and I Cheat the Hangman.

I bought the following albums when they were new, I don't own any that had Michael McDonald as a band member, I no longer considered them Doobie Bros. Michael McDonald as a solo act, I would probably go see him, but as part of the Doobie Bros, he turned them into a pop machine.


The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Totally agree with John. To me the pre MacDonald era is the true sound of the Doobies. Lost interest after Tom Johnston's departure.
  #14  
Old 05-19-2020, 12:02 PM
NavyVet NavyVet is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 124
Thanks: 296
Thanked 90 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Hey, thanx for posting this link! Black Water happened to be my favorite all time Doobie Brothers song. This was awesome and the video is adorable.
__________________


Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Karma has no menu, you get served what you deserve.
One pair of hardworking hands accomplishes more than a thousand clasped in prayer.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
  #15  
Old 05-20-2020, 06:49 AM
askcarl askcarl is offline
Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default you asked....

The Doobie Brothers Behind The Music - YouTube
Reply

Tags
isolate, sound, smiles, big, video

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.