Local musical performers in TV

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2021, 09:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Hi Polar and thanks for reading my post and commenting. "Mix up the set list a little more" does not mean not playing songs from previous shows. But thanks for your input and interesting perspective. I appreciate it.

No problem with some, or even a lot, of repetition but let's not forget, for whatever it's worth, that the The Dead played for 3 hours a night and Bob Dylan for 2 hours a night for years and played a different set list each night.
I can appreciate where you're coming from Walrus. I like to hear new songs too. And mixing up the sets is of course a good thing. You're right...I think our differences probably are in interpretation as much as anything. Heheh. Your last sentence almost makes it sound like Dylan and The Dead never played the same song twice. I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean.

But I do think playing for four hours makes it more difficult. Most concert shows a band plays for an hour-and-a-half or maybe two hours. Filling four hours is a different beast. I'm not sure how many bands have enough songs...really good songs...in their repertoire to fill four hour shows without using most of the same songs. But of course they should jumble up the order to avoid too much repetition.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Hi Polar and thanks for reading my post and commenting. "Mix up the set list a little more" does not mean not playing songs from previous shows. But thanks for your input and interesting perspective. I appreciate it.

No problem with some, or even a lot, of repetition but let's not forget, for whatever it's worth, that the The Dead played for 3 hours a night and Bob Dylan for 2 hours a night for years and played a different set list each night.
Man, I'd sure like to hear somebody play some Dead down here
Old 04-05-2021, 12:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

So many of the bands that play in the squares are great. And I've noticed the talent has gotten a lot better recently. I was told that this is because a lot fo these great bands usually work in Orland bu because of Covid many of the venues that they usually play are closed so they come here.

What's disappointing to me is that there are a lot of great bands that are comprised of Villagers. I wish that The Villages Entertainment Dept would utilize more of the local talent.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkman View Post
Man, I'd sure like to hear somebody play some Dead down here
I heard Ripple once at the square. I forget who it was. Maybe Uncle Bob's Rock Shop?
Old 04-05-2021, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

What's disappointing to me is that there are a lot of great bands that are comprised of Villagers. I wish that The Villages Entertainment Dept would utilize more of the local talent.
Great idea and we don't even have to wait for the Villages management to get on board. Nothing is stopping any of the Squares' restaurants/bars from having a weekly local showcase. Or Edna's.

It would probably be a smash.

No brainer if you ask me.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Great idea and we don't even have to wait for the Villages management to get on board. Nothing is stopping any of the Squares' restaurants/bars from having a weekly local showcase. Or Edna's.

It would probably be a smash.

No brainer if you ask me.
Many of them do have local talent playing. Unfortunately, most don't want to pay for a band, they pay for one person singing to tracks. It's a shame that so many Villagers accept that are great entertainment.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
performing, excellent, rock, start, duo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.