Local musical performers in TV

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2021, 11:36 AM
Default Local musical performers in TV

There seem to be an impressive number of very good musical acts performing in and around The Villages. I thought that I'd list a few of mine, and hope that others will pitch in with a few of theirs, particularly the lesser well known acts. I'll start with...

* Jeff Jarrett: an excellent singer and guitarist performing mostly classic rock and folk songs.

* The Mudds: a husband and wife duo who have recently started performing rock with several other talented musicians. I understand that they also perform as a jazz duo, which is something that I look forward to hearing.

* Johnny Wild and the Delights: while I'm not usually a big fan of the music from the 50's, they do such a great job of selecting material, performing it so well, while putting on an excellent and engaging performance that I really enjoy their shows.

* Gilly and the Girl: a really excellent singer and guitarist performing rock, folk, oldies, and most everything else, including a few songs that I hadn't heard before and really enjoyed.

That's the start of my list, but I'm always on the outlook for any of the other great performers who frequently play here in The Villages.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:01 PM
Thumbs up Some of my musical choices...

* Gilly and the Girl: a really excellent singer and guitarist performing rock, folk, oldies, and most everything else, including a few songs that I hadn't heard before and really enjoyed.

That's the start of my list, but I'm always on the outlook for any of the other great performers who frequently play here in The Villages.[/QUOTE]

I agree about Gilly And The Girl. Johnny Wild is a good one too whether 3 piece or 5 piece.

*One we just saw tonight was Anita Drink Band. Fabulous 3 piece doing mostly classic rock. Two girls (mother on guitar & daughter on bass) and guy on drums. Band did well, sound system not as well.

*Swing Theory - I am also a jazz fan. These guys did great. I'd like to see more like this. I don't think they are on the schedule very often.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.q.pankow View Post
There seem to be an impressive number of very good musical acts performing in and around The Villages. I thought that I'd list a few of mine, and hope that others will pitch in with a few of theirs, particularly the lesser well known acts. I'll start with...

* Jeff Jarrett: an excellent singer and guitarist performing mostly classic rock and folk songs.

* The Mudds: a husband and wife duo who have recently started performing rock with several other talented musicians. I understand that they also perform as a jazz duo, which is something that I look forward to hearing.

* Johnny Wild and the Delights: while I'm not usually a big fan of the music from the 50's, they do such a great job of selecting material, performing it so well, while putting on an excellent and engaging performance that I really enjoy their shows.

That's the start of my list, but I'm always on the outlook for any of the other great performers who frequently play here in The Villages.
My faves so far are the Hooligans, Spazmatics, Johnny Wild, Anita Drink and Uncle Bob’s Rock Shop, with the first three being the most outstanding.

By the way, Stephen, Johnny Wild does lots of songs from the ‘60s as well as the ‘50s and I agree they do an excellent job on all of them.

P.S. Paisley Craze are good too, but not "paisley" enough, imo. Kinda false advertising. I was expecting a psych/garage band. They might do Incense and Peppermints but that's about it.

Last edited by LiverpoolWalrus; 03-29-2021 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Paisley
Old 03-29-2021, 11:24 AM

Hello? Is there anybody out there? I've tried multiple times to reply to this thread and they seem to go to outer space.

Edit: Success!!! Finally.

*Anita Drink Band is my current fave. Did an outstanding version of "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" by Led Zep and it morphed into 25 or 6 to 4 and then back. Three piece band. Mother on guitar, daughter on bass, guy on drums.

*Gilly and the Girl - also very good.

*Yes. Johnny Wild - good as 3 piece and 5 piece.

*Swing Theory - for those who like Jazz, very good. I would like to see more of them and bands like them.

Last edited by tgeckenrode; 03-29-2021 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Tried to post multiple times and wasn't sure original post was going to go through.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeckenrode View Post
Hello? ...
*Anita Drink Band is my current fave. Did an outstanding version of "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" by Led Zep and it morphed into 25 or 6 to 4 and then back. Three piece band. Mother on guitar, daughter on bass, guy on drums...
I guess I am missing something. What is "morphed into 25 or 6 to 4 and then back."?
Old 03-29-2021, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-01-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-01-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyLee View Post
I guess I am missing something. What is "morphed into 25 or 6 to 4 and then back."?

"25 or 6 to 4". Well known song from Chicago's early years, about 1972? And then went back into "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You".
Old 03-29-2021, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Clark Barrios and Rocky and The Rollers are favorites of ours

lots of really good talent around here

Gilly and the gal did a driveway party for neighbors a few months back...they did a nice job, Clark Barrios came and did a driveway concert for us, we have him coming back
Old 03-29-2021, 06:46 PM

Clark Barrios does driveway parties? How much does he charge?
Old 03-29-2021, 06:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
Clark Barrios and Rocky and The Rollers are favorites of ours

lots of really good talent around here

Gilly and the gal did a driveway party for neighbors a few months back...they did a nice job, Clark Barrios came and did a driveway concert for us, we have him coming back
Was wondering why it took so long to get Rocky and the Rollers on the list. Also we like Audio Exchange and MPire.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
You'll find most of the bands play the same songs and the same set every month
That is so true. I wish someone would get the word out to them to mix up the set list a little more. Don’t they realize a lot of people see them multiple times and presumably would like a little variety?

Personally I can’t see myself going to hear my 4 or 5 favorite bands month after month only to witness the same old songs over and over and over. I can understand why you got tired of Johnny Wild, John. And it’s a shame because he and his band are top notch.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
That is so true. I wish someone would get the word out to them to mix up the set list a little more. Don’t they realize a lot of people see them multiple times and presumably would like a little variety?...
Wow. You want bands to play four hour gigs and not repeat songs from previous shows?!?

I think you’re the one who doesn’t realize the work that goes into being a successful band and playing for four hours every show at the squares.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Wow. You want bands to play four hour gigs and not repeat songs from previous shows?!?

I think you’re the one who doesn’t realize the work that goes into being a successful band and playing for four hours every show at the squares.
Hi Polar and thanks for reading my post and commenting. "Mix up the set list a little more" does not mean not playing songs from previous shows. But thanks for your input and interesting perspective. I appreciate it.

No problem with some, or even a lot, of repetition but let's not forget, for whatever it's worth, that the The Dead played for 3 hours a night and Bob Dylan for 2 hours a night for years and played a different set list each night.

Last edited by LiverpoolWalrus; 03-29-2021 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:46 PM

Joe Hand is our favorite solo act. He also plays occasionally with “The Beautiful Bobby Blackmon”, and they’re great together. Joe is a real-deal musician. Has his own studio and creates all his own backing tracks for a huge song list, and they are truly excellent. His guitar talent is among the best we’ve heard, doing a wide range of covers and some very nice originals. We see him often at Edna’s’ and at Sip in Leesburg. Garvino’s and Lakeridge Winery are some of his other frequent gigs.

Yes, I’m a fan!
Closed Thread

Tags
performing, excellent, rock, start, duo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.