Music in TV

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2020, 12:03 PM
Default Music in TV

Why is it so difficult for "varied, successful musicians" to get gigs in The Villages? I have played music most of my life with well known bands and I cannot get the powers that be to return my calls or e-mails. Hell, I can't even find out who to contact.
Very frustrating.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddygirl View Post
Why is it so difficult for "varied, successful musicians" to get gigs in The Villages? I have played music most of my life with well known bands and I cannot get the powers that be to return my calls or e-mails. Hell, I can't even find out who to contact.
Very frustrating.
As a solo artist, have you tried City Fire, the country clubs and some of the other local establishments?

Here's a lady that has been here a dozen years and played all the squares as a solo artist. The last couple of years I've only seen her at the country clubs and restaurants. Maybe she can lend advice.

The Villages, Entertainer Entertainment - Petrina
Old 11-29-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddygirl View Post
Very frustrating.
The application is online
Performer Application - The Villages Entertainment : The Villages Entertainment

This is the contact number for the Villages Entertainment Office
Administrative Office
1070 Canal Street, The Villages, FL 32162
By Appointment Only
(352) 750-5411
Old 11-29-2020, 02:37 PM

Just an added Note: Probably 25% of folks retiring to The Villages want to be Entertainers. Every single street, neighborhood and Village has their share of DJ's, Driveway Performers, Magicians, Karaoke Singers, Etc.

I provided music once to one of my social clubs and 20 people said they could do that and some even gave themselves "stage" names.

So I now just stick to home parties and home Karaoke where Everyone is the Star of The Show.

(PS) if you can do something that involves "LINE DANCING" you jump to the HEAD of the List.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:14 PM
Veteran member

When we moved here a little over 8 years ago, it was not at all unusual to see single singers with recording track accompaniment at the Squares quite a few times every week. I don't think that happens at all anymore, or if it does, it's rare. With the exception of Scooter the DJ, all of the acts are live music bands, and for my 2 cents, that's a good thing. Still plenty of opportunity to play at the country clubs and restaurants and parties for social clubs. Remember please that many of the people playing in those venues have been here for years and have established audiences, so it can be hard to break in. But if you are willing to be on the less expensive side as you start out, and build up your own audience, you can succeed. I have some experience with this having been one of the original members of 3 for the Road, although I no longer perform with them. We also had a very hard working booking manager who really helped us get going, and her efforts opened a lot of doors. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2020, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsdavis View Post
When we moved here a little over 8 years ago, it was not at all unusual to see single singers with recording track accompaniment at the Squares quite a few times every week. I don't think that happens at all anymore, or if it does, it's rare. With the exception of Scooter the DJ, all of the acts are live music bands, and for my 2 cents, that's a good thing. Still plenty of opportunity to play at the country clubs and restaurants and parties for social clubs. Remember please that many of the people playing in those venues have been here for years and have established audiences, so it can be hard to break in. But if you are willing to be on the less expensive side as you start out, and build up your own audience, you can succeed. I have some experience with this having been one of the original members of 3 for the Road, although I no longer perform with them. We also had a very hard working booking manager who really helped us get going, and her efforts opened a lot of doors. Good luck!
It seems that most of the people singing to tracks have moved to the restaurants and country clubs Bill. However I did see Carol Ann at one of the squares a few weeks ago.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:36 PM
Default Savannah Center - Show Case of Music

The Savannah Center presents "The Show Case of Music" every year.

This is an all day affair with performances in every room of the center.
Musicians change every hour and the audience is free to roam from room to room.

I don't think you get paid for the performance here as the audience attends for free.

However your performance may lead to bookings, especially from clubs for their entertainment.

Bring business cards or flyers for your contact information.

Contact the Savannah Center for more information.

Here is a link to portions of the show
Variety of acts converge on Savannah Center for ‘Music Lover’s Showcase’ - YouTube
Old 12-03-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqrstar View Post
The application is online
Performer Application - The Villages Entertainment : The Villages Entertainment

This is the contact number for the Villages Entertainment Office
Administrative Office
1070 Canal Street, The Villages, FL 32162
By Appointment Only
(352) 750-5411
And they require a DVD so you have to go out and spend a bunch of money to have a professional video done in order to work here.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqrstar View Post
The Savannah Center presents "The Show Case of Music" every year.

This is an all day affair with performances in every room of the center.
Musicians change every hour and the audience is free to roam from room to room.

I don't think you get paid for the performance here as the audience attends for free.

However your performance may lead to bookings, especially from clubs for their entertainment.

Bring business cards or flyers for your contact information.

Contact the Savannah Center for more information.

Here is a link to portions of the show
Variety of acts converge on Savannah Center for ‘Music Lover’s Showcase’ - YouTube
I've done that we four different bands and never got a gig out of it. Most of the musicians that I know will tell you the same thing.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:22 AM

Off topic, but there seems to be a large turnover in groups at the squares. Certain groups appear three-four times a month, others seem to do a few shows then are never heard from again. Others might be here for a season then disappear. Any ideas why?
Old 12-03-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I've done that we four different bands and never got a gig out of it. Most of the musicians that I know will tell you the same thing.
Were you in any bands around the Brockton area?
Closed Thread

Tags
music, contact, powers, return, calls

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.