NEW!! Talk Of The Music Forum

Old 04-28-2015, 05:04 PM
Send a message via ICQ to Biancarose Send a message via Yahoo to Biancarose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Should be interesting. Let's get some threads going
I contacted Harold Melvins Blue Notes "The Love I Lost" and asked if he would come to entertain us in TV and replied would love to. He contacted TV Entertainment Dept.did the paper work and is waiting for them to reply to him. I will be the first one to buy a ticket!
Old 01-09-2017, 01:29 PM

My husband and I will be moving into TV in February and would love to hear everyone's recommendations for bands/music to hear for the happy hours at the Town Squares. We both love the music from our era (we were both born in the 1950's) but enjoy all kinds of music.
Also, is there a good jazz club around the villages? what about a piano bar? my husband plays the piano so we love to listen to pianists.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobima View Post
My husband and I will be moving into TV in February and would love to hear everyone's recommendations for bands/music to hear for the happy hours at the Town Squares. We both love the music from our era (we were both born in the 1950's) but enjoy all kinds of music.
Also, is there a good jazz club around the villages? what about a piano bar? my husband plays the piano so we love to listen to pianists.
There are three bands that are what I would call showcase bands and draw huge crowds, they almost always play on market night or at Brownwood on a Friday or Saturday. Rocky & the Rollers is the most famous, they've been here for years, one of their singers was with the Platters, they have a horn section and the crowds for them are huge. There travel all around the country to perform and even have special cruises they book.

The second band is fairly new, having just started performing here last spring and they come from Orlando. That would be Johnny D and the Starlights. They perform the more rocking songs from the 50's and 60's, especially Buddy Holly. The singer has performed in the play the Buddy Holly Story and even was picked to lead the national version but had to turn it down due to time commitments.

The third band might be a little too new for you. I would say they were the second fiddle until Johnny D arrived on the scene. That is Uncle Bob's Rock Shop. They perform mostly 70's rock and late 60's. Anything from the Beatles to the Eagles, Tom Petty to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.

Another band that's in that same vein and had appeared here many times but were absent for a year or more, but I now see they are back at the squares. That would be Cactus Jack and the Cadillacs. They are similar to Uncle Bob but also do a lot of late 60's psych-rock, one hit wonders, etc.

I believe Jazz and or Blues is mostly performed at McCalls Tavern, which is at Spanish Springs next to one of the bowling alleys about a block off the square. If you go on youtube.com and search these names, or just music at The Villages you'll find video of almost every band performing here.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Veteran member
Default Piano Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobima View Post
Welcome! You can join my wife and I in our efforts to get somebody at a restaurant to understand the benefits of a piano bar! So far, no luck. The closest thing we've gotten is a Dueling Piano act which is not our idea of a piano bar. It seems that most of the restaurants that provide music think everyone wants to dance or listen to people sing. While that's fine, a nice quiet piano bar would be most welcome, by us anyway!
Old 02-06-2017, 06:30 PM

If you like jazz I think you will appreciate a cut by Ricardo Silviera titled Tango Carioca. Cool groove, very articulate playing. In this case, be sure to listen to the studio cut, NOT the youtube live version. The live version is a little sluggish and misses a key element to the "hauntingness" of this song: an accordion!!
Old 02-06-2017, 06:42 PM

A good jazz piano experience occurs, sporadically, at Garvino's. I play drums in a trio with pianist Dave Flanagan and bassist John Huber. We are at Garvino's on February 16 from 7-10!
Old 01-09-2018, 05:15 PM
Default Listening to music

I still listen to records and I still buy records. I just picked up some great albums by Phil Woods, CSN & Y, Robert Fripp and selected pieces by Tchaikovsky. CD's and Tidal streaming also occupy my collection. Anyone think a music listening group would garner interest in The Villages? There is a classical music lovers club and I think there was a jazz lovers club. Anyone like to talk about stereo equipment and check out various stereo systems? Maybe there would be interest in an audiophile club. Your thoughts, please!!!
Old 01-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Platinum member

I am always looking for new sheet music for piano, classical and pop. I play at the hospital lobby. I have found a few books online. Would like to hear if anyone has suggestions for finding piano music.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:15 AM

For me, "Oldies" means 50's, 60's, 70's, doo wop and music. I am so happy that I have found people who want to keep this music alive and we are all able to dance and sing along with it. Oldies make me feel happy. Is it the simplicity of the lyrics and the joy of harmony?
Old 01-31-2018, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I am always looking for new sheet music for piano, classical and pop. I play at the hospital lobby. I have found a few books online. Would like to hear if anyone has suggestions for finding piano music.
Are you looking for full score sheets I.E. right and left hand parts. I have thousands of fake sheets in various forms. Example I have a folder of 6000 + songs for muse score. But these are in the form of melody and chords - no left hand rhythm.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:23 AM

Hello all!
I'm a new violinist in town. Do any or all of the orchestras (Villages String Orchestra or Villages Philharmonic) require an audition, and how big are these groups?
My current favorite is Barber's Violin Concerto, preferably played by Gil Shaham - wonderful musician and human being.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:29 AM
Smile Violin / fiddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by striveforhealth View Post
Hi all - great forum!! Was wondering if anyone on here plays fiddle and could play some Irish tunes at an assisted living on St. Patrick's Day? It would be a noon-time event. Let me know if you are interested and/or if you know of anyone. Thanks! Becky
Hi strivforhealth,
I play Irish and Bluegrass fiddle as well as popular classics on violin. Let me know if you need a violinist / fiddle player in the future!
Call me at 865-406-8211.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Terrific

What a great new thread!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:01 AM

Lovers of beautiful music: check out the Philharmonic at the Sharon Center Pops Concert Sun Sept 2. All pro musicians and singers from US and international. Much loved and revered Italian Maestro Valerio has conducted world class orchestras including for André Bocelli. Monthly performances at The Sharon vary from pops to classical to opera highlights. Newcomers are always amazed at the excellence. Call the Sharon directly for tickets to avoid the online charges. Yer gonna love it!
Old 06-07-2020, 08:05 AM

Great idea for a new Forum. We enjoy listening to and dancing to all kinds of music. My wife had Lady Antebellum's "You Look Good" stuck in her brain so we just listened to that. It's also one of our favorite songs to dance to. Jonny Lang's "Lie to Me" is a good tune. Anything Aretha!! Anybody know Keb Mo? His rendition of America the Beautiful is beautiful and his tune "I Remember You" is a good tune. Our taste in music wonders all over...as does life, right? We are learning to play the spoons ( google Spoon Lady...amazing). OK that's enough...lol

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.