NEW!! Talk Of The Music Forum

Old 06-07-2020, 08:09 AM

We would go to a piano bar or a good jazz club...
Old 06-07-2020, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages are doing a driveway meeting every Friday morning that is streamed on Facebook Live.
There is a huge grassed area next to driveway where we do it. You can bring a chair and sit under the live oaks.

Or, you can go to The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages - Home | Facebook and watch. You can even request Beatles songs by typing them in.

Unfortunately, because of social distancing we have had to limit the number of musicians to nine. So please don't show up with an instrument or expect to sing a song.

It's not as good as the live meetings, but it's the next best thing.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Over the years my taste in music has evolved. In the early 60's it was whatever was playing on American Band Stand because that's what would be played at the school dances...by the mid 60's I was really into the folk music scene, played the guitar and had a few paying gigs before going into the service. In 'boot camp' one guy had a small stereo system in our barracks and he only had one record "Johnny Rivers' Golden Hits"...after 9 weeks I became a fan of Johnny Rivers LOL.

Today we like anything but rap and hip hop

Last edited by davem4616; 06-07-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani & Bill View Post

we've enjoyed those venues too...as well as the huge concerts that Rod Stewart and Tony Bennet put on.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by marle View Post
For me, "Oldies" means 50's, 60's, 70's, doo wop and music. I am so happy that I have found people who want to keep this music alive and we are all able to dance and sing along with it. Oldies make me feel happy. Is it the simplicity of the lyrics and the joy of harmony?

ditto...loved the PBS specials with all the artists coming back to perform. So glad that we been able to see many of them live here in TV
Old 06-07-2020, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
For a jazz club, McCall's Tavern at Spanish Springs has blues night with live entertainment, it will probably resume when we get back to normal. It's at the square next to the bowling alley.

The Villages Florida

It may not look like it on the outside, but it's a big place. For NFL fans, it's a Buffalo Bills hangout and several college fan groups will met for games on Saturdays on the big screen TV's.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

For staying around the neighborhood, many of the country clubs have music out on the patio on weekend nights. Billy Buchanan does a good mix of 60's and 70's pop and rock.

Billy Buchanan | Facebook

The Villages Florida

For more contemporary dance music such as Adele, Lady Gaga and oldies, there is Petrina at the country clubs.

The Villages, Entertainer Entertainment - Petrina

The Villages Florida
Old 06-07-2020, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
ditto...loved the PBS specials with all the artists coming back to perform. So glad that we been able to see many of them live here in TV
The best PBS Show I've seen for doo wop, was a 1998 show from Pittsburgh. I actually found it on DVD at Best Buy in 2000 when it was released. It's has both volumes on one DVD. Since that's been a while, many of those artist have died and it's probably the best collection of live performances from that era with full band backup and great sound that you'll find.

It's still available, I just saw new copies on eBay for $28 with free shipping and used copies for less than $10.

https://www.ebay.com/p/3342663

The Villages Florida

Before I moved to TV in 2011 I had 4,000 record albums, 800 CD's and 300 Concert DVD's. I only have the DVD's now, everything else I liquidated. However, with a smart TV and WIFI you watch just about anything on youtube. I've got over 8,000 live videos saved into 42 music folders on youtube. With a 5.1 surround sound system, it's almost better than going to a show.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Great idea for a new Forum. We enjoy listening to and dancing to all kinds of music. My wife had Lady Antebellum's "You Look Good" stuck in her brain so we just listened to that. It's also one of our favorite songs to dance to. Jonny Lang's "Lie to Me" is a good tune. Anything Aretha!! Anybody know Keb Mo? His rendition of America the Beautiful is beautiful and his tune "I Remember You" is a good tune. Our taste in music wonders all over...as does life, right? We are learning to play the spoons ( google Spoon Lady...amazing). OK that's enough...lol
I've seen videos of Bonnie Raitt with Keb Mo accompanying her and her band. Awesome combination.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post

Today we like anything but rap and hip hop
I'm with you on the rap and hip hop. I could do without opera...just sayin. I have no problems with any kind of music. There's just a few genre's I don't care for.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.