New Wave Lite for Retirees

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2020, 03:21 PM
Veteran member
Default New Wave Lite for Retirees

So I finally saw the fabled Spazmatics Friday night at Sumter Landing. The Spazmatics' franchise advertises them as the "Ultimate New Wave 80s show" so I had high hopes of hearing Siouxsie and the Banshees, Romeo Void, Altered Images, Talking Heads, the Undertones, Echo and the Bunnymen, maybe a little Depeche Mode for the less serious rock fans.

I arrived about halfway through and my first thought was, this is the hugest crowd I've seen so far in the town squares and it's like a real concert instead of a jitterbug/line dance fest! That was reassuring. And they actually play some half decent songs from the new wave era and are highly competent and tight. I was a bit bewildered by the septuagenarians in the crowd at a supposed new wave show, but I let that go and figured it was actually a positive. It is The Villages after all.

My enthusiasm took a nosedive when I realized the Spazmatics, too, are probably being forced to play lowest common denominator music to please the only casual music fans among the gathered masses. They lost me completely when they broke out the hair metal and songs like "Don't Stop Believing." Simple Minds, on the other hand, was one of the undisputed bright lights of the post-punk era with multiple albums of some of the best music ever. But they, like the Clash and other bands of that time and genre eventually sold out to the mainstream. Simple Minds' most unforgivable example in my opinion was the worldwide smash hit Don't You Forget About Me. Ahem. What Simple Minds song do you think the Spazmatics played? Yup.

Three live music acts to choose from every single day in the Town Centers was one of the reasons I moved to the Villages last month. But as someone for whom music is my life and not just a casual distraction, I gravitate toward the deeper cuts, not the smash hits. In fact those smash hits kinda get on my nerves. (I've seen about ten or so shows so far in the squares, and if I hear Brown Eyed Girl one more time I'm going to gag.)

Is there any hope for people like us? Or should I lower my expectations? I know there are tons of serious rock fans in the Villages. People have cited Uncle Bob's Rock Shop and Penta as potential saviors, but a quick scan of Youtube shows them doing the same-old same-old like Jenny, Slow Ride (really?), Hurt So Good, Two Tickets to Paradise, etc. Should we just write off the Villages and resign ourselves to going to Orlando or Tampa for the good stuff? Maybe if the Villages' music promoters knew there are lots of us who want to hear lesser-known music, they would accommodate us? Hey, we pay our amenities fees too!

romeo void i might like you better - safesearch.norton.com Video Search Results
Old 02-17-2020, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Just a guess on my part but if you are a huge new wave fan you are probably in your 50's - 55 would be my best guess. A few years back the medium age of The Villages was around 70. Probably slightly less today with the surge of new building. Since 2005 I've observed the entertainment migrate very slightly from 50's to pop rock to some more serious rock as you pointed out with Uncle Bob's and Penta. I believe we are in the mixture of all three genres now. Thus is there any hope for you - I doubt it just the occasional throw you a bone once in a blue moon.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
So I finally saw the fabled Spazmatics Friday night at Sumter Landing. The Spazmatics' franchise advertises them as the "Ultimate New Wave 80s show" so I had high hopes of hearing Siouxsie and the Banshees, Romeo Void, Altered Images, Talking Heads, the Undertones, Echo and the Bunnymen, maybe a little Depeche Mode for the less serious rock fans.

I arrived about halfway through and my first thought was, this is the hugest crowd I've seen so far in the town squares and it's like a real concert instead of a jitterbug/line dance fest! That was reassuring. And they actually play some half decent songs from the new wave era and are highly competent and tight. I was a bit bewildered by the septuagenarians in the crowd at a supposed new wave show, but I let that go and figured it was actually a positive. It is The Villages after all.

My enthusiasm took a nosedive when I realized the Spazmatics, too, are probably being forced to play lowest common denominator music to please the only casual music fans among the gathered masses. They lost me completely when they broke out the hair metal and songs like "Don't Stop Believing." Simple Minds, on the other hand, was one of the undisputed bright lights of the post-punk era with multiple albums of some of the best music ever. But they, like the Clash and other bands of that time and genre eventually sold out to the mainstream. Simple Minds' most unforgivable example in my opinion was the worldwide smash hit Don't You Forget About Me. Ahem. What Simple Minds song do you think the Spazmatics played? Yup.

Three live music acts to choose from every single day in the Town Centers was one of the reasons I moved to the Villages last month. But as someone for whom music is my life and not just a casual distraction, I gravitate toward the deeper cuts, not the smash hits. In fact those smash hits kinda get on my nerves. (I've seen about ten or so shows so far in the squares, and if I hear Brown Eyed Girl one more time I'm going to gag.)

Is there any hope for people like us? Or should I lower my expectations? I know there are tons of serious rock fans in the Villages. People have cited Uncle Bob's Rock Shop and Penta as potential saviors, but a quick scan of Youtube shows them doing the same-old same-old like Jenny, Slow Ride (really?), Hurt So Good, Two Tickets to Paradise, etc. Should we just write off the Villages and resign ourselves to going to Orlando or Tampa for the good stuff? Maybe if the Villages' music promoters knew there are lots of us who want to hear lesser-known music, they would accommodate us? Hey, we pay our amenities fees too!

romeo void i might like you better - safesearch.norton.com Video Search Results
Amenity fee has nothing to do with entertainment on the squares...…..
Old 02-17-2020, 04:03 PM

I think the idea is to get a lot of people down to the squares to enjoy the music. And buy drinks. Not just the 17 or so people who only enjoy "deeper cuts". The reason they play "smash hits" is because more people like "smash hits". That's why they were "smash hits".
Old 02-17-2020, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

1. You are a member of a very niche audience. Your expectations are way out of sync for a band playing in public to a crowd of MOSTLY people over 60.
2. As stated in the post above mine, your amenity fees don't pay for this entertainment. The squares are public places, not Villages-exclusive.
3. These bands get paid to deliver whatever will bring the people out to the squares. That means music most of the customers will recognize, and be able to dance to or bounce in place to (whichever the case may be), and mostly - whatever they will open their wallets at the bars for. That means - very little obscure stuff, and a whole lot of top-100 stuff.

If you want to see the more obscure deep stuff then definitely go to one of the private clubs that charge a cover charge or drink minimum to get in, where kids are not allowed, and where you can't go by golf cart.

Regarding Simple Minds, Don't You Forget About Me was the singular song I could name of theirs. For me, new wave is Joe Jackson, Elvis Costello, Cyndi Lauper, Devo, and the Cars. But then, I'm an American, and those performers were representative of New Wave in the USA.

I don't ever expect bands to play much of any of the above in the Villages. But if they do, I'll be glad if it's well played even if it's overplayed. At least it's not another rendition of Mustang Sally.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:09 PM
Veteran member

Interesting. I didn't know the musicians weren't paid from our amenities fees. Who pays them?

I appreciate everyone's input. I do have to lower my expectations, then I'll be okay with the status quo. "Change your thinking, change your life."

OBB, I've heard Brown Eyed Girl more than Mustang Sally.

Last edited by LiverpoolWalrus; 02-17-2020 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Adding more
Old 02-17-2020, 09:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Interesting. I didn't know the musicians weren't paid from our amenities fees. Who pays them?

I appreciate everyone's input. I do have to lower my expectations, then I'll be okay with the status quo. "Change your thinking, change your life."

Support from the businesses, if people don’t like the music the squares would be a ghost town. TV does offer a meeting for all who move here to explain how everything works
Old 02-17-2020, 10:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:

The Square businesses, plus hotel fees have this added tax, and a percentage gets kicked back to promote tourism (pretty sure it's more complicated than that but I don't care enough to check it out, I just know it's a tourism tax thing and the Villages benefits from it).
Old 02-17-2020, 10:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:

The song I seem to hear the most that makes me want to run away from the town square is "Play that Funky Music White Boy". Gag Me!
Old 02-17-2020, 11:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
...I do have to lower my expectations, then I'll be okay with the status quo...
Amazing.

How about “change” your expectations, rather than “lower” them. Your music tastes aren’t superior to others’ here in TV, just different.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:22 AM
Default Good Point but

Since they are your expectations, their level is based singularly on your high and low scale. Therefore your statement is correct.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:51 AM
Default Town square music change

I have been listening to Town Square music for over 30 years. It has been the same for over 25 of those years. The Spazmatics, and the Hooligans (two very popular villages square bands) are pretty much the same band, just different genres. Don't get me wrong, these guys are very good at there craft, and it's good to finally hear a change in the music coming to the Squares. We have been force fead a mixture of doo whop, and early rock and roll for too long.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:59 AM

When “Blonde Ambition” or “Blake Guyre” are playing take time to see them, the Blonde’s have one of the best guitar players and the blonde’s are easy on the eyes and they can sing, in my opinion these 2 bands are superb, Blake Guyre is the only band and singer that attempts Queen’s songs after all Freddy Mercury was a tough act to follow, but Blake nails it, try these two they are GREAT!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2020, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Amazing.

How about “change” your expectations, rather than “lower” them. Your music tastes aren’t superior to others’ here in TV, just different.
Thank you both Polar and Wolf. Fair expression of your view on my choice of words. I chose "lower my expectation" not because I think my taste is superior but because my expectation was "high" as in great or big, referring to the scale of the expectation. Like "high hopes."

And I'll frankly feel a sense of accomplishment if I'm able to do so considering one of the reasons I moved to the Villages was to enjoy free live music in three locations every day of the year *hoping and expecting* that music would be sufficiently satisfying. I realize now that I won't usually be sufficiently satisfied, but I'll settle for decent music (instead of incredible music) oftentimes being played repetitively. For me, any music is better than no music.

And on reflection, I realize now that Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl and Play That Funky Music White Boy are played incessantly because, I'm guessing, most people don't visit the Squares on a regular basis so they don't hear the same music over and over and over again.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com View Post
When “Blonde Ambition” or “Blake Guyre” are playing take time to see them, the Blonde’s have one of the best guitar players and the blonde’s are easy on the eyes and they can sing, in my opinion these 2 bands are superb, Blake Guyre is the only band and singer that attempts Queen’s songs after all Freddy Mercury was a tough act to follow, but Blake nails it, try these two they are GREAT!!!!!!!!
Thanks a ton Pedro, I'll check them out.

...I just did a quick web search and I see Blake Guyre does Sweet Caroline. Uh oh. (But that's ok - I'll go get a drink or something when he plays that one!)

Tags
music, villages, wave, spazmatics, smash

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.