Pops Chorus Folk Quartet Driveway Concerts for the rest of 2020

Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2020, 05:23 PM
Veteran member
Default Pops Chorus Folk Quartet Driveway Concerts for the rest of 2020

Hi everyone. I have been asked to post the concert schedule for the Pops Chorus Folk Quartet for the rest of the year, so I will list dates and locations below. If you are not familiar with us, we are 4 members of the Pops Chorus who perform primarily folk music and similar popular songs from the great folk music era of the late 50's and 60's. It's all music you can sing along to. Our 2 December dates will include some of your favorite Holiday songs as well. We do not charge for our performances, instead we have a donation box for anyone so moved with 100% of donations going to charity. All of our remaining concerts this year will benefit the Friends of SoZo Kids. Hope you can come out and enjoy! Be sure to wear a mask and socially distance! Thanks!

Date Location and Time
11/17 1606 Travelers Rest Ct., Village of Mallory Square, 4:00 PM
11/20 17045 SE 76th, Creekside Cir, Village of Calumet Grove, 4:00 PM
12/7 629 Little River Path, Village of Mallory Square, 4:00 PM
12/12 1871 Upland Pl, Village of Pennecamp, 4:00 PM
Old 11-12-2020, 11:45 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for keeping music from the Great Folk Scare alive. See you soon.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsdavis View Post
Hi everyone. I have been asked to post the concert schedule for the Pops Chorus Folk Quartet for the rest of the year, so I will list dates and locations below. If you are not familiar with us, we are 4 members of the Pops Chorus who perform primarily folk music and similar popular songs from the great folk music era of the late 50's and 60's. It's all music you can sing along to. Our 2 December dates will include some of your favorite Holiday songs as well. We do not charge for our performances, instead we have a donation box for anyone so moved with 100% of donations going to charity. All of our remaining concerts this year will benefit the Friends of SoZo Kids. Hope you can come out and enjoy! Be sure to wear a mask and socially distance! Thanks!

Date Location and Time
11/17 1606 Travelers Rest Ct., Village of Mallory Square, 4:00 PM
11/20 17045 SE 76th, Creekside Cir, Village of Calumet Grove, 4:00 PM
12/7 629 Little River Path, Village of Mallory Square, 4:00 PM
12/12 1871 Upland Pl, Village of Pennecamp, 4:00 PM
Any hootenannies coming up? I didn't see anything on the Chorus' homepage or Facebook. Also, where can I find out more about the Pops Chorus Folksingers as mentioned on the Chorus homepage? How are they different from the Folk Quartet?

"Hard Times Come Again No More" Mavis Staples - YouTube
Old 01-17-2021, 03:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Thanks for keeping music from the Great Folk Scare alive. See you soon.
Please don't call this very serious thing a "Great Folk Scare". Yesterday had FAR more deaths from Covid-19 in Sumter County than any other day by far. Thirty people died in Sumter County yesterday. One of them was someone we had known for ten years. The virus is now much more contagious. We are planning to stay away from gatherings until we have both shots. I hope all of you will realize that the hospital here and in Leesburg are maxed out. Seventy people hospitalized with Covid-19. PLEASE all be careful. This is deadly serious.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Any hootenannies coming up? I didn't see anything on the Chorus' homepage or Facebook. Also, where can I find out more about the Pops Chorus Folksingers as mentioned on the Chorus homepage? How are they different from the Folk Quartet?

"Hard Times Come Again No More" Mavis Staples - YouTube
Nothing until we can have a venue available, I'm hoping for next Fall. Don't know if the Quartet will get out and playing again until the weather and temperature are more consistent, depends greatly on the status on the pandemic. The Folksingers are made up of the Folk Quartet plus another 10 people, both men and women. We play many of the same songs plus a much wider repertoire, including New Christy Minstrels and others. Lots more options with that large a group and both guys and gals.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:48 PM
Veteran member
Default "Great Folk Scare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Please don't call this very serious thing a "Great Folk Scare". Yesterday had FAR more deaths from Covid-19 in Sumter County than any other day by far. Thirty people died in Sumter County yesterday. One of them was someone we had known for ten years. The virus is now much more contagious. We are planning to stay away from gatherings until we have both shots. I hope all of you will realize that the hospital here and in Leesburg are maxed out. Seventy people hospitalized with Covid-19. PLEASE all be careful. This is deadly serious.
Hi Gracie. Very sorry to hear of your loss. We, too, have lost people we knew well. One note, please if I may. The OP was not referring to Covid as "The Great Folk Scare". In her 2012 memoir, “Sweet Judy Blue Eyes: My Life in Music,” Judy Collins whimsically refers to the era of her emergence as “the great folk scare.” In the 1960s, on the heels of Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger and The Weavers, a flood of folk artists broke into the musical mainstream. I would be surprised if that was not his reference in the post. Hope you and yours are doing OK.

B.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsdavis View Post
Hi Gracie. Very sorry to hear of your loss. We, too, have lost people we knew well. One note, please if I may. The OP was not referring to Covid as "The Great Folk Scare". In her 2012 memoir, “Sweet Judy Blue Eyes: My Life in Music,” Judy Collins whimsically refers to the era of her emergence as “the great folk scare.” In the 1960s, on the heels of Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger and The Weavers, a flood of folk artists broke into the musical mainstream. I would be surprised if that was not his reference in the post. Hope you and yours are doing OK.

B.
Bandsdavis, you most certainly got it right. Thanks for clarifying for Gracie. Gracie, sorry for your loss and the confusion about this wonderful music from the late ‘50s to the early’60s.

Not sure if Dave Van Ronk or Judy Collins coined the phrase, but in either case I’m glad the subject matter back then sometimes made people a little uncomfortable (or “scared”) and encouraged them to do some critical thinking. It was the birth of modern social activism.

The Great Folk Scare

Cruel War - YouTube

Tags
folk, village, pops, chorus, music

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.