ROCK MUSIC

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: ROCK MUSIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24
Wow Judy, I forgot how cute that lead singer was! woooo hoooo. But wasn't Manfred Man the guy with the glasses and goatee? I seem to remember that. :dontknow:
Chels, um, I duuno. :dontknow: I can't remember! LOL I think the guy with the goatee was Manfred? ALL the singers in ALL the bands were cute back then, weren't they?
(I sing Do Wah Diddy to my tomato & pepper plants. The plants are in big pots on my patio. I kick the pots in rhythm to the song while I water them, and I always have bumper crops of wonderful tomatoes and peppers. I think they like rock music, and they like to have their pots kicked. Once we move to TV I will try this on Hibiscus plants and report back)

And, I agree with kyblue... Rock music should ROCK. People go to the squares to dance! Maybe 1 or 2 snoozer songs a night is OK, but IMHO it's all about the dancing -- like American Bandstand, "I give it a 95 because I really like the beat." :hot:
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

ZXLBB,

As I type this The Duchess (Fergie) is playing on my computer. When my Grands visit, they have all the latest music and truthfully, I love most of it.............go Rhianna!

Shirleevee

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 07-27-2008, 11:55 PM

Bonnie Raitt---"Let's Give Them Something to Talk About" Great song. :bigthumbsup:
Old 07-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Her, "Nick of Time", 1989 album of the year is one of my all time favorites..

:bigthumbsup:

Shirleevee

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 07-29-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Villager
Sorry, not me! I'm only in my late 50's and I love the 50's, 60's music. We go to every show at the Savannah Center that Rocky and The Rollers have booked there.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:31 AM

Rocky and the Rollers are sooooooo boring! They play the same songs over and over. They seem as bored playing their stuff as we are hearing it! There are 20 other bands who play on the squares that are better entertainers.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Platinum member

I will never be bored with them. I have seen them do many different sets. I think the entertainment dept. requires that certain songs are played as all the bands tend to do many of the same songs. They always start off softly and slowly and get louder as the night progresses. Every 3rd song is a slow song. (all bands do this) The last set of the evening is switched at times and they love to get requests. (I guess they are allowed to do occasional requests.) These guys back many well known and respected artists and can play a wide variety of 50's-80's music. I think their songs are chosen by the powers that be. :dontknow:
Old 07-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

All the bands play the same songs since they are playing hits from the 50's and 60's. There are only so many. These songs are 40-50 years old! Rock has come a long way since then but you would never know it around here.

Check Rocky's web site, they have played with a few artists who had some hits, but none of their songs were hits in recent history. (The Drifters, The Shirelles, Lou Christie, Danny and the Juniors).

Yesterday in the Sun Times there is an advertisement for "Jay Siegel & The Tolkens" playing with Rocky and The Rollers for 2 shows a night for 4 days. It states "The Tokens are best known for everyone's favorite song, "the Lion Sleeps Tonight". That song was a hit in 1961!!! So name two other "hits" from the Token's. In addition, they'll be playing there with "The Teenagers" and "The Elegants". WOW!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Platinum member

Bim, May I ask how young you are?? Are you a Villager? Do you not appreciate the FREE entertainment here?? I'm 52, kinda young for TV yet I enjoy all the bands. I LOVE to dance. I hear the music will update as younger retirees move in and request it. For now my favorite is Rocky and the Rollers. I really like The Spectors and Sensation, Earthbeat, Radio Flyer (aka Doc Holiday) Margo and Rodeo Drive, Cactus Jack. Yes there are others that are ok, also. There are some excellent country and jazz bands, and I'm learning to appreciate them! I am not overly interested in Karaoke type shows even though Scooter is a big hit with Villagers as well as others. I like to watch musicians, just my personal opinion. International music shows are amazing! I have been to hundreds of music concerts in my life. When I dance I want to feel the bass and drums, swing my hips to the guitar and let the horns and pianos touch my soul! I even like SOME new rock, but I doubt many retirees do. Remember these are just my personal opinions! :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:
Old 07-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Veteran member

One of the current Tokens is Jay Traynor, who was the origional "Jay" of Jay and the Americans. This was pre-Jay Black, who is the best known Jay.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Veteran member

RR

Rocky, Cactus, and the Spectors are all good bands. However, check their web sites, they all state they play all the classics from the 50's and 60's. So they all play the same stuff. You hear one, you hear them all.

Rock didn't stop evolving in the 60's. I have 500 songs on my i pod and none of them are hits from the 50's and 60's.

Plenty of great groups listed as favorites by posters on this issue, yet few of theses groups hits were from the 50's.

It's not a quality issue, just variety. Update the song list at least into the 70's and 80's.

Then of course there is the play list on the Villages radio station. Was in Sumter Landing with some friends two weeks ago listening to "Volare" being played over the speakers. (1958 record of the year, I was 11) That sums it up.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Veteran member

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact."
-Homer J. Simpson
Old 08-01-2008, 03:49 AM

I guess I'm going to be the stone in everyone's shoe here. I am also in the 60s age group but really never did care for R/R all that much. My Mom told me I was born 10 years to late. I digress.I am a musician and also have preferences. BTW, if your sick of the same music they play on the 640 station, may I suggest an alternative. The city of Hernando broadcasts their WRZN at 720AM. It's an eclectic mix of 40s-70s music. And you can usually pick it up until late in the evening. (lots of big band and swing)
Anyway, while I understand and accept R/R as a part of my growing up right-of-passage,
I found Glenn Miller, Harry James, Count Basie, Artie Shaw et al much more to my liking. It also has a "beat" that you can dance to. The big difference being I feel, is the musicianship involved. R/R people play for 3-5 years and think they're pretty good. That music does not compare the the music of the 30s-40s. Most of those musicians had been playing for 10-20 years before they got good enough to play with a truly professional group. Such as Basie, Ellington, etc.
I play trumpet and am in the Villages Concert Band, Swing Band and Big Band. And you will usually only see me at the square when jazz or swing music is involved (which isn't very often).
I do like R/R but prefer 30s-40s much more.

Jerry Jackson (Calumet Grove)

Jerry Jackson (Summerhill)

Neat bumper sticker. Went like this: "It's God's job to judge terrorists. Our job is to arrange the meeting!"

Be a gentleman, remove your hat/cap when entering a building and dining out!
Old 08-01-2008, 05:31 AM
Sage

Al Bowlly fan here
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-12-2008, 04:59 PM

I've weighed in on this topic early on, but after reading some of this recent stuff I feel compelled to respond again. No one is saying that 50's & 60's music or the other genres played here should be disposed of, just let's add some music of recent vintage. I don't like to go to the squares that much any more because every group seems to have the same play list. It doesn't matter how good they are. The 'Sounds of Time' are now ripping off music from Scooter and the Karackter(sp?) Band does mostly disco which is right up there with cRAP, and I really don't need to hear the Macarena every night.

When I think of Rock n Roll I think of Clapton, Tom Petty, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, GnR, Motley Crue, AC/DC, 80's hair bands, etc. in addition to all the pop groups previously mentioned. Good songs with kick ass guitar riffs, power ballads. How about some Blues, the absolute prime origin of ALL RnR. Bobby Tate did a blues and jazz gig at Katy Belles the other night I would have paid money to see.

The other day the local rag had an article about the changing age demographics here, that being we are much younger. Yet the music doesn't respond to that. I think we can all agree that the really older group tends towards Spanish Springs, so maybe keep what we currently have there and update/upgrade at Lake Sumter.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.