Song Of The Day, from the 50's, 60's, 70's

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2020, 11:57 AM

If you've never watch the entire Live '00 Running Back Thru Canada movie, do it, here's a taste

The Guess Who - No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature, Albert, Hand Me Down World, Bus Rider

The Guess Who - No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature, Albert, Hand Me Down World, Bus Rider - YouTube
Old 04-24-2020, 07:00 PM
Veteran member

Great great band. Saw them at least twice that I can remember, most recently September 2001 in DC. Burton Cummings opened the show with a little tribute to the United States expressing his sympathy for the horrible incident that month and how he always "looked up" to America. Miss that underrated band. I hear Burt was planning to do a solo tour this year. Guess it's probably called off now. Damn shame.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

I will nominate one of my absolute all time favorites. From The Allman Bros. Album "Eat a Peach", in 1972, the song "Blue Sky".
Old 04-24-2020, 10:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkman View Post
If you've never watch the entire Live '00 Running Back Thru Canada movie, do it, here's a taste
I have the DVD of Running Thru Canada, it was a Canadian import about 2001, never came out down here, I sold them through my online business. It's pretty good show. I was really surprised they played during a thunderstorm. The only other other time I've seen that is Cheap Trick at Red Rocks in Denver playing Gonna Raise Hell while thunder and rain is happening.

I saw the Guess Who twice, first time was Nov 1970 at Loyola College of Baltimore. They were fantastic. I was surprised that Randy Bachman was already gone, Kurt Winter was the guitarist. I remember the last song because Burt said, we've got to go, "We have No Time"......

Cheap Trick - Gonna Raise Hell. Lightning storm at Red Rocks 8/30/2016 - YouTube
Old 04-24-2020, 10:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I will nominate one of my absolute all time favorites. From The Allman Bros. Album "Eat a Peach", in 1972, the song "Blue Sky".
I was out with some friends, I just looked it up, it was Sept 6, 1969. We went to the Bayfront Center in St. Pete to see George Carlin at 8pm. The box office told us, the show is sold out, but come back at 10pm and we have tickets. There was nothing going on in downtown St. Pete at night in '69 for four guys that were 19.

We decided to go to the Electric Zoo, I had never been, but I heard a lot about the place. It was out by Sunshine Drag Strip, about 10 miles away. We got there about 9pm and I remember some girl said, do you guys have some money, I need $3.50 to get in. So we gave some change.

We go inside and there is a band that first thing I notice is they have two drummers, one white and one black. A guy on a red guitar with long blonde hair just wailing away. Some guy sitting down playing keyboards and singing. I never seen nothing like it, but then again, at 19 I had not seen that many bands, in fact Vanilla Fudge was the only concert I had seen at that point.

Anyway, it was fantastic and after they played for it seems like a couple of hours, the singer said, our first album comes out in 2 months and we hope you buy it, we're the Allman Brothers.

Three months later I'm in the Army and all of '70 and '71 I'm out of circulation, basic training, school, Korea 13 months. Finally 1972 I'm stationed in Savannah and I'm at this girl's house, in fact I took her to the Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick Concert, it was fantastic, best concert I've ever seen. Anyway, I'm flipping through her albums and I see these guys that look familiar, and I say, hey I've seen these guys a couple of years ago, and then I realized they made it.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Added it here https://thevillagerockers.com/allman-brothers/

Thanks
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:48 AM

04-25-20 James Gang “Funk #49”, Joe Walsh
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

We go inside and there is a band that first thing I notice is they have two drummers, one white and one black. A guy on a red guitar with long blonde hair just wailing away. Some guy sitting down playing keyboards and singing. I never seen nothing like it, but then again, at 19 I had not seen that many bands, in fact Vanilla Fudge was the only concert I had seen at that point.
Wow, cool story, seeing the Allman Brothers back when they were still a local Florida band. I saw them many times but never with Dwayne unfortunately. They are surely in the top 10 of my fave bands of all time. It was a sad day when Greg died not too long ago and I came to the conclusion there will never be any more Allman Brothers ever.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Wow, cool story, seeing the Allman Brothers back when they were still a local Florida band. I saw them many times but never with Dwayne unfortunately. They are surely in the top 10 of my fave bands of all time. It was a sad day when Greg died not too long ago and I came to the conclusion there will never be any more Allman Brothers ever.
...and the bass player Berry Oakley died almost one year exactly also on a motorcycle and within a couple of blocks of where Duane was killed. I remember watching In Concert on TV and at the bottom of the screen it said, killed last week in a motorcycle accident. I think that was a Friday night show for a few years, really good, unlike Midnight Special, it would be just one band for the entire hour. I remember seeing Jim Groce on In Concert and the same thing, he died after the show was already recorded.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:59 AM

Wow. Loved that Allman Brothers story. Getting back to the Rascals -- "Beautiful Morning" has been a been a favorite of mine, and makes me feel good every time I hear it.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

Right. I remember both. In Concert was the cooler Midnight Special. Then there was Don Kirshner's Rock Concert too. Nostalgia. What a time!

Last edited by LiverpoolWalrus; 04-25-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:24 PM

Makes me smile

ABBA on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert (1977)
Old 04-25-2020, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

Shanty, Johnathon Edwards, 1971.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:50 AM

04-26-20 Allman Brothers, Whipping Post - Fillmore East 09/23/1970
Old 04-26-2020, 09:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Right. I remember both. In Concert was the cooler Midnight Special. Then there was Don Kirshner's Rock Concert too. Nostalgia. What a time!
There is very little live Uriah Heep with the late David Byron on vocals. Much of what you'll see is Japanese shows with the music from another source. We can thank Don Kirschner's Rock Concert for Uriah Heep Live '74. I saw Heep August 8, 1975 at the Bayfront Center in St. Petersburg with Manfred Mann's Earth Band. David Byron was a one-of-a-kind frontman.

Uriah Heep - Live at Shepperton Film Studios 1974 (Remastered) - YouTube
Closed Thread

Tags
song, rascals, day, page, submit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.