Sounds of Silence cover

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2021, 09:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts
Default Sounds of Silence cover

This is not new, it was recorded in 1963 by Simon and Garfunkel ( I am sure most if not everyone has heard the original). Simon summed up the song's lyrics as an ode about people not being able to communicate with each other and the growing divide that was resulting.

It seems to resonate with me today.

The original was a very lovely melodic almost melancholy performance, but if you listen closely to the words, they express anger and frustration.

This cover from 2016 is a reimagining of the original. A very emotional and disturbing expression of that anger and frustration. The lead singer has an amazing voice and his control is just stunning.

While Disturbed is a Metal band, I believe this performance goes beyond genre and is a masterpiece. Simon seems to have agreed since he posted this to his own social media, in 2016, when it came out and praised the interpretation.

This is posted as an expression of my own frustration and anger. It so accurately represents my own feeling at the lack of our ability to communicate with each other.

This is absolutely NOT a political statement/post. This is a post about the state of our society. Our obsession with social media where people talk without saying anything, read without understanding anything. And our bowing down to (obsession with) the "neon god we made" - technology/social media.

Warning, this is a very powerful and emotional performance, it may not be suitable for everyone.

Disturbed - The Sound Of Silence [Official Music Video] - YouTube

Last edited by GrumpyOldMan; 06-30-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Best version out there Love Disturbs rendition of this classic

Last edited by karostay; 06-30-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

It's an amazing song, and Disturbed does an amazing job of it. You can add some amazing movement by watching Nyle Marco (who is completely deaf) and Peta Murgatroyd doing freestyle dance to the song on Dancing With the Stars.
Nyle & Peta's Freestyle - Dancing with the Stars - YouTube
Old 06-30-2021, 11:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It's an amazing song, and Disturbed does an amazing job of it. You can add some amazing movement by watching Nyle Marco (who is completely deaf) and Peta Murgatroyd doing freestyle dance to the song on Dancing With the Stars.
Nyle & Peta's Freestyle - Dancing with the Stars - YouTube
Thank you!
Old 06-30-2021, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,176 Times in 4,233 Posts

I first heard this version several years ago. Blew my socks off!

Thanks for reminding me of it!

-Tom Petty
Old 06-30-2021, 06:45 PM

Thanks to both posters who put up the links. Both videos are fabulous.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Live with no distractions. This was the first time I heard it or saw it. Unbelievably good.

Disturbed "The Sound Of Silence" 03/28/16 - YouTube
Old 06-30-2021, 10:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I first heard this version several years ago. Blew my socks off!

Thanks for reminding me of it!
Totally agree My first time I was literally stunned. Blew my socks off is a very appropriate description.

I love all things done well and this is way beyond done well.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
This is not new, it was recorded in 1963 by Simon and Garfunkel ( I am sure most if not everyone has heard the original). Simon summed up the song's lyrics as an ode about people not being able to communicate with each other and the growing divide that was resulting.

The original was a very lovely melodic almost melancholy performance, but if you listen closely to the words, they express anger and frustration.

This cover from 2016 is a reimagining of the original. A very emotional and disturbing expression of that anger and frustration. The lead singer has an amazing voice and his control is just stunning.

While Disturbed is a Metal band, I believe this performance goes beyond genre and is a masterpiece. Simon seems to have agreed since he posted this to his own social media, in 2016, when it came out and praised the interpretation.

This is posted as an expression of my own frustration and anger. It so accurately represents my own feeling at the lack of our ability to communicate with each other.

This is absolutely NOT a political statement/post. This is a post about the state of our society. Our obsession with social media where people talk without saying anything, read without understanding anything. And our bowing down to (obsession with) the "neon god we made" - technology/social media.

Warning, this is a very powerful and emotional performance, it may not be suitable for everyone.

Awesome version by Disturbed. “Stricken “ also by Disturbed is excellent. Another couple good remakes are “Turn the page” by Metallica and “Bad Company “ by Five Finger Death Punch. Almost forgot “Whiskey in the Jar “by Metallica
Old 07-01-2021, 05:27 AM

Fell in love with disturbed after watching this .. renewed my interest in metal started watching rammstein as well amazing sound and visuals
Old 07-01-2021, 05:43 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,237 Times in 446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post

Love this one ……I shared it a lot over the years. Watch his “If a ever lost my faith in you” an other powerful reminder where we are in today’s society
Thank you for sharing
Old 07-01-2021, 05:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnlaura View Post
Fell in love with disturbed after watching this .. renewed my interest in metal started watching rammstein as well amazing sound and visuals
Ah wahahah aah. Most won’t understand but sure you will
Old 07-01-2021, 06:32 AM

This is fantastic!
Old 07-01-2021, 06:42 AM

Whew, that was powerful...thanks.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:48 AM

I agree the new version is strong moving and passionate
Closed Thread

Tags
frustration, performance, anger, original, simon

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.