Sounds of Silence cover

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2021, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I posted because I assume most people our age are not familiar with Metal groups.

I am happily surprised to see many are.
Here's a cover of Ennio Morricone's classic Ecstacy of Gold by Metallica. Different from the original also but still excellent

Disturbed "The Sound Of Silence" 03/28/16 - YouTube
Old 07-01-2021, 10:24 AM

The only thing upsetting about the video is the thing embedded in his chin.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRealms View Post
The only thing upsetting about the video is the thing embedded in his chin.
He decided to remove them awhile after this release. He felt as he was aging they had become inappropriate.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:12 AM

The live version done on Conan is what caused Paul Simon to reach out to the band, who were blown away by his words.

Simon was around 20 years old, give or take a year or so in either direction, when he wrote this. Just a timeless classic.

Here's the live version:
Old 07-01-2021, 11:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post
The live version done on Conan is what caused Paul Simon to reach out to the band, who were blown away by his words.

Simon was around 20 years old, give or take a year or so in either direction, when he wrote this. Just a timeless classic.

Here's the live version:
I have seen interviews of David (lead singer) when asked about Simons response, and it is obvious he was very moved and humble. Simon was one of this countries great song writers, and to have him appreciate a cover they did was a very special moment.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post

Here's the live version:
The orchestration is amazing and those kettle drums. Just a perfect cover.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:22 AM
Default Inspiration for “Sounds of Silence”

I heard on a radio show that the lyrics were inspired by Garfunkel’s friend in college, who was losing his sight.
Reference: Travel Industry Today:
“ In his memoir, “Hello Darkness, My Old Friend: How Daring Dreams and Unyielding Friendship Turned One Man’s Blindness into an Extraordinary Vision for Life,” Garfunkel’s best friend Sanford “Sandy” Greenberg explained how he suddenly lost his sight in college and how he overcame the tragedy and subsequently went on to great success in life due in large part to the support of his pal, Garfunkel.
Art – who in a show of empathy called himself “Darkness” – would talk about the situation with his musical partner, Paul Simon, who went on to write the song.”

Or, there may be other explanation….
Old 07-01-2021, 11:48 AM
Default Sounds of Silence cover

Wow! That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:41 PM
Default Best Version Yet!!Di

Quote:
This is not new, it was recorded in 1963 by Simon and Garfunkel ( I am sure most if not everyone has heard the original). Simon summed up the song's lyrics as an ode about people not being able to communicate with each other and the growing divide that was resulting.

It seems to resonate with me today.

The original was a very lovely melodic almost melancholy performance, but if you listen closely to the words, they express anger and frustration.

This cover from 2016 is a reimagining of the original. A very emotional and disturbing expression of that anger and frustration. The lead singer has an amazing voice and his control is just stunning.

While Disturbed is a Metal band, I believe this performance goes beyond genre and is a masterpiece. Simon seems to have agreed since he posted this to his own social media, in 2016, when it came out and praised the interpretation.

This is posted as an expression of my own frustration and anger. It so accurately represents my own feeling at the lack of our ability to communicate with each other.

This is absolutely NOT a political statement/post. This is a post about the state of our society. Our obsession with social media where people talk without saying anything, read without understanding anything. And our bowing down to (obsession with) the "neon god we made" - technology/social media.

Warning, this is a very powerful and emotional performance, it may not be suitable for everyone.

Disturbed - The Sound Of Silence [Official Music Video] - YouTube
The Disturbed version is awesome!! A great band! 😎
Old 07-01-2021, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,177 Times in 4,234 Posts

Quote:
I posted because I assume most people our age are not familiar with Metal groups.

We're not ALL Grumpy old Men...

Me? I'm just Grumpy...

I can still sing "When I'm 64" looking into the future!

-Tom Petty

Last edited by JMintzer; 07-01-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:

BTW I used to hang out at a club called the Twilight Zone, in New Haven. It's not there anymore. But it was a metal club. Live bands doing covers and some original stuff.

Mostly Dio/Black Sabbath, Motörhead, Megadeth, Iron Maiden. With generous scatterings of "big hair" bands like Whitesnake.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
This is not new, it was recorded in 1963 by Simon and Garfunkel ( I am sure most if not everyone has heard the original). Simon summed up the song's lyrics as an ode about people not being able to communicate with each other and the growing divide that was resulting.

It seems to resonate with me today.

The original was a very lovely melodic almost melancholy performance, but if you listen closely to the words, they express anger and frustration.

This cover from 2016 is a reimagining of the original. A very emotional and disturbing expression of that anger and frustration. The lead singer has an amazing voice and his control is just stunning.

While Disturbed is a Metal band, I believe this performance goes beyond genre and is a masterpiece. Simon seems to have agreed since he posted this to his own social media, in 2016, when it came out and praised the interpretation.

This is posted as an expression of my own frustration and anger. It so accurately represents my own feeling at the lack of our ability to communicate with each other.

This is absolutely NOT a political statement/post. This is a post about the state of our society. Our obsession with social media where people talk without saying anything, read without understanding anything. And our bowing down to (obsession with) the "neon god we made" - technology/social media.

Warning, this is a very powerful and emotional performance, it may not be suitable for everyone.

Disturbed - The Sound Of Silence [Official Music Video] - YouTube

Wow!
I did not expect such an operatic performance.
It gave me goose pimples. He has an epic voice. truly haunting.

Thanks for sharing
Closed Thread

Tags
frustration, performance, anger, original, simon

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.