There are great bands, and then thereโ€™s.......

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2020, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts
Default There are great bands, and then thereโ€™s.......

Kansas!!!! My gosh, what a performance tonight at The Sharon! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Old 02-08-2020, 06:35 PM

Anyone familiar with the Blues Brothers musical next weekend I saw in Style magazine this week?
Old 02-08-2020, 07:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Kansas!!!! My gosh, what a performance tonight at The Sharon! ํ ฝํฑํ ฝํฑํ ฝํฑํ ฝํฑํ ฝํฑํ ฝํฑ
Loved them in the โ€˜70s. Their first four albums are incredible. Iโ€™ll never forget interviewing Kerry Livgren for my college paper in 1976. He turned me onto the greatest Italian prog band, Banco, which he said influenced Kansasโ€™ early sound.Only one original member now I believe.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Loved them in the โ€˜70s. Their first four albums are incredible. Iโ€™ll never forget interviewing Kerry Livgren for my college paper in 1976. He turned me onto the greatest Italian prog band, Banco, which he said influenced Kansasโ€™ early sound.Only one original member now I believe.
I believe Rich Williams the guitarist with the eye patch and Phil Ehart the drummer are pretty much the original members. You know Kerry Livgren turned Kansas into a Christian rock band in the early 80's when singer Steve Walsh left to try a solo career. Like some many other singers, they think they can make it without the band. Kansas then with Kerry as the leader made two Christian rock albums, Vinyl Confessions and Drastic Measures with singer John Elfante. Then Steve Walsh returned to the band and Kerry Livgren left, I don't know how that was worked out. Guitarist Steve Morse of the Dixie Dregs replaced Kerry until he left to join Deep Purple when Ritchie Blackmore quit that band. Richard Williams has carried on as the lone guitarist after Morse left. Kansas is a very unique band, in a category of their own like Rush.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 02-08-2020, 10:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Saw Kansas at a four day Fourth of July Festival my hometown has each year. Watched them from a blanket on the grounds and they were good.

Last edited by Chi-Town; 02-08-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:44 AM
Talking yep Kansas all time favorite band with original members

however their new album did do justice to Kerry's arrangements. Saw them both times at sharon. Have seen them at least 20 times overall....Dead on with the exception of some of the lead parts by Rich. I felt he was little sloppy with the solos but maybe improvising due to boredom of playing them for a thousand years. But what the hell do i know.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:09 AM

Last year, we saw three tribute bands at Savannah; two were great, one, BS&T, was awful. The performance included a former ESPN employee trying to be comedic, appearing before BS&T took the stage. After 15 minutes of crappy jokes, BS&T played some song I don't remember hearing other than on vinyl.
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
Last year, we saw three tribute bands at Savannah; two were great, one, BS&T, was awful. The performance included a former ESPN employee trying to be comedic, appearing before BS&T took the stage. After 15 minutes of crappy jokes, BS&T played some song I don't remember hearing other than on vinyl.
Blood, Sweat & Tears name is owned by the drummer Bobby Colomby, he no longer tours with the band and simply picks out the players. This happens a lot more than you think, Grand Funk Railroad name is owned by the drummer Don Brewer, he and the original bassist perform under the name, but the guitarist and lead vocalist Mark Farner is not in the band anymore, not since 1998. They had a falling out and Mark went his separate way and performs solo.

Blood, Sweat & Tears did have a great following and put on a really good show up until last year. Bo Bice, who was an American Idol runner up to Carrie Underwood sounded just like David Clayton Thomas and was the lead singer of BS&T for five years. They put on a terrific show in TV two years ago. Many people were fooled this last time, but Bo left the group not long before this last appearance. Probaby because this Bobby Colomby doesn't care about the fans, he sold the opening act to Roy Firestone so he could sell his marketing plan, it's all for the money with that band.

Here, check out BS&T with Bo Bice.

Blood, Sweat & Tears featuring Bo Bice - YouTube

The Villages Florida
Old 02-28-2020, 03:11 PM

Click link below to listen to the original Blood Sweat & Tears, from the great album "Father is Child to Man". Saw them several times at the Filmore East.
They always put on a fantastic concert.

Blood Sweat & Tears - "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know" - YouTube

Al Kooper, Jim Fielder, Fred Lipsius, Randy Brecker, Jerry Weiss, Dick Halligan, Steve Katz and Bobby Colomby formed the original band.[2] The creation of the group was inspired by the "brass-rock" ideas of the Buckinghams and its producer, James William Guercio, as well as the early 1960s Roulette-era Maynard Ferguson Orchestra (according to Kooper's autobiography).

Al Kooper was the group's initial bandleader, having insisted on that position based on his experiences with the Blues Project, his previous band with Steve Katz,[2] which had been organized as an egalitarian collective. Jim Fielder was from Frank Zappa's the Mothers of Invention and had played briefly with Buffalo Springfield. Kooper's fame as a high-profile contributor to various historic sessions of Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix and others was a catalyst for the prominent debut of Blood, Sweat & Tears in the musical counterculture of the mid-sixties.[citation needed]

Blood,Sweat&TearsChildIsFathertotheMan.jpg
Kooper, Colomby, Katz and Fielder did a show as a quartet at the Village Theatre (soon to rename as Fillmore East) in New York City on September 16, 1967, with James Cotton Blues Band opening. Fred Lipsius then joined the others a month later. A few more shows were played as a quintet. Lipsius then recruited the other three, Dick Halligan, Randy Brecker and Jerry Weiss, who were New York jazz horn players Lipsius knew. The final lineup debuted at the Cafe Au Go Go on November 17โ€“19, 1967, then moved over to play The Scene the following week. The band was a hit with the audience, who liked the innovative fusion of jazz with acid rock and psychedelia.

After signing to Columbia Records, the group released Child Is Father to the Man. The album cover was considered quite innovative showing the band members sitting and standing with child-sized versions of themselves. The album slowly picked up in sales despite growing artistic differences among the founding members which resulted in several personnel changes for the second album. Colomby and Katz wanted to move Kooper exclusively to keyboard and composing duties, while hiring a stronger vocalist for the group, causing Kooper's departure in April 1968.[3] He became a record producer for the Columbia label, but not before arranging some songs that would be on the next BS&T album.[4][5] The group's trumpeters, Randy Brecker and Jerry Weiss, also left and were replaced by Lew Soloff and Chuck Winfield.[2] Brecker joined Horace Silver's band with his brother Michael, and together they eventually formed their own horn-dominated musical outfits, Dreams and the Brecker Brothers. Jerry Weiss went on to start the similarly styled group Ambergris.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:48 PM

Saw them, sitting on the playing field, in front of the stage, Kenan Stadium, Chapel Hill, NC. At least, think I saw them as it was my first taste of weed, everyone was toking, passing around joints.
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Closed Thread

Tags
sharon, tonight, performance, gosh, kansas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.