Type of music in the Town Squares

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2020, 08:01 AM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I heard a rumor, that coming to the LSL square in the near future...are Jay-Z and Beyoncé.

They're being paid by the new Costco...going up on 44.

😂 if only

Old 01-14-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
What?!? A band that does punk and post-punk like the Clash and the Cure playing to Villagers? Wow. Looking back at the audiences I saw when I visited the squares, I just can't wrap my brain around this one. But I'm not complainin'! When I asked about reggae and prog above, I had punk/new wave in the back of my mind, but never ever would have thought it would go over in the Villages. Not yet anyway. The Cure's Disintegration album is my second favorite album of all time (after the Beatles White Album). I will be checking out the Hooligans for sure! Thanks John!

The Cure - "Disintegration" | Live at Sydney Opera House - YouTube
I think you will like the Hooligans. I am waiting for a little more alternative but it might come.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGoldberg View Post
They are moving more towards 80’s and 90’s music. There is a great Rockabilly band, Sherry and the Rockefellas, that plays often.
So grunge is right around the corner?
Old 01-14-2020, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Love the Lennon handle, Winston. Like you, my favorite band is also the Beatles. No one else comes close. And I also love music from the middle '60s and am glad it's a "thing" in the Villages. But if there are three shows a day in the squares, every day, I'm just hoping for some variety. (Um, and not Duran Duran covers by the way, but that's just me. I'd prefer Echo and the Bunnymen - also from that Mersey city)

On another note...how do you thank people for their post? Do you just click the thumbs up button? I'm seeing a lot of great posts, here, there and everywhere, as Paul might say. Thanks all.

Last edited by LiverpoolWalrus; 01-14-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMM View Post
I think you will like the Hooligans. I am waiting for a little more alternative but it might come.
Hooligans will be at LSL tomorrow (Wednesday the 15th) I've seen them at BW about 5 times and they have huge crowds. It will be different seeing them at LSL, I do have my colorized Hooligans T-shirt, they should be out in full force. The Spazmatics will be at LSL on Saturday the 25th.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-14-2020, 09:33 AM
Thumbs down Polka bands

Just thought I would bring it up yet again....Whatever happened to the Polka bands that used to play at the Villages entertainment venues? ANYONE know? Do they only play INSIDE now? We would really like to know.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadalberts View Post
Just thought I would bring it up yet again....Whatever happened to the Polka bands that used to play at the Villages entertainment venues? ANYONE know? Do they only play INSIDE now? We would really like to know.
As noted before, the music at the squares is becoming younger and more contemporary. Your best shot would be at Orange Blossom Opry off 42. They've got acts there that are better than we have. Check their website:

Orange Blossom Opry Home
Old 01-14-2020, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

P.S. To Winston: it goes without saying that every time I visited the Villages, I went to your Friday morning Fab 4 celebration and loved it. Villagers are so lucky to have stuff like that. Thanks for putting it together.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:05 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
I'm looking forward to my move to the Villages in a couple of weeks. When I visited the Villages in the past, I always made it a point to listen to the live music on the squares. I think I've been to all three of them at least twice. I was wondering how varied the music and performers get. For instance, is reggae ever featured? How about prog or "art rock" - you know, music like Yes, Genesis, Emerson Lake & Palmer, etc.?

I've noticed the shows seem to find the lowest common denominator. The performers play the biggest smash hits of the '60s and '70s that can't possibly fail to please the majority of the crowd. Either that or R&B/disco that gets people dancing.

I have nothing against any type of music. I love it all (heck, I'll even admit to liking the Carpenters). But I'm curious to hear from the regular attendees if they ever mix up the music...or is it all Brown Eyed Girl and Stand By Me all the time every night at every square? (Exaggerating of course to make the point. )
Karen Carpenter probably was the best female vocalist in rock/pop history. And she was an accomplished drummer to boot.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:20 AM
Sage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I heard a rumor, that coming to the LSL square in the near future...are Jay-Z and Beyoncé.
They're being paid by the new Costco...going up on 44.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
Karen Carpenter probably was the best female vocalist in rock/pop history. And she was an accomplished drummer to boot.
Did you see the Karen Carpenter tribute Saturday night at SC? I would of gone since she's my wife's favorite, but NFL Football playoffs, playoffs!! I looked her up on youtube, and she is really good.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-14-2020, 11:34 AM

I have heard country, recently Caribbean music, oldies and newer songs. More dancers for 60's and 70's music I believe,
Old 01-14-2020, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadalberts View Post
Rumor has it that The Happy Wanderers are coming to town.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2020, 11:53 AM

At Brownwood I have heard Penta, more of a rock group and there is also Paisley Craze something that is more 80’s and 90’s. The Houligans are good too
Old 01-14-2020, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Did you see the Karen Carpenter tribute Saturday night at SC? I would of gone since she's my wife's favorite, but NFL Football playoffs, playoffs!! I looked her up on youtube, and she is really good.
We saw the 5 pm show. Excellent!

kathy
Closed Thread

Tags
music, type, point, squares, performers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.