Type of music in the Town Squares

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
I'm looking forward to my move to the Villages in a couple of weeks. When I visited the Villages in the past, I always made it a point to listen to the live music on the squares. I think I've been to all three of them at least twice. I was wondering how varied the music and performers get. For instance, is reggae ever featured? How about prog or "art rock" - you know, music like Yes, Genesis, Emerson Lake & Palmer, etc.?

I've noticed the shows seem to find the lowest common denominator. The performers play the biggest smash hits of the '60s and '70s that can't possibly fail to please the majority of the crowd. Either that or R&B/disco that gets people dancing.

I have nothing against any type of music. I love it all (heck, I'll even admit to liking the Carpenters). But I'm curious to hear from the regular attendees if they ever mix up the music...or is it all Brown Eyed Girl and Stand By Me all the time every night at every square? (Exaggerating of course to make the point. )
They do have Studio77 which is disco and couple of others that are OK but basically the same every time they come
Old 01-15-2020, 10:23 AM

My husband always jokes that they won't hire a band unless they can play Brickhouse & Mustang Sally
Old 01-15-2020, 10:28 AM

Saw the Carpenter Tribute band last year they were really good!
Old 01-15-2020, 02:05 PM

There's a band that plays the City Fires and many clubs in the Villages called The Core. Great mix of new and classic - and they're constantly changing their sets to keep things fresh and different. Haven't seen them play the squares yet. I wish they would.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

The problem with prog-rock is lack of danceability. Rush, Yes, King Crimson, Tull, Pink Floyd, all known for "other than standard 4/4 or cut-time" rhythms. You have people trying to line dance in octuplets. Can't do that in 7/4 time (Pink Floyd's "Money"). Those of us who embraced prog-rock can dance to it but we were a niche demographic even when Roundabout (Yes) made it to the top 20.

Would be pretty cool to see one of the bands take a GOOD stab at Spirit of Radio though (Rush). That one's danceable, and anyone who tries to line dance to it can justifiably be shamed forever. A win-win!
Old 01-15-2020, 03:25 PM
Veteran member

So glad to see I'll have prog and alternative brothers and sisters in the Villages! I'm seeing that the Villages isn't as mainstream (or "normal") as I thought! Now just direct me to the nearest Goth dance club. I'm sure there's one in the Villages, right?
Old 01-15-2020, 03:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl0217 View Post
My husband always jokes that they won't hire a band unless they can play Brickhouse & Mustang Sally
It's probably not a joke and it's what my original question was all about. But on second thought, maybe there is no truth to it as I'm hearing that there is quite a bit of variety after all.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
It's probably not a joke and it's what my original question was all about. But on second thought, maybe there is no truth to it as I'm hearing that there is quite a bit of variety after all.
It's a little of both really. Mustang Sally is a good example. First of all - the line dancers do the Electric Slide to it, which makes me want to cartwheel my overweight self into the bunch of them as if they were bowling pins and I was the ball. It's an insult to the song and an insult to the dance.

Second, there's an R&B band that turns the song into this awesome bluesy sultry thing and I absolutely love their arrangement. I don't remember which band it is though.

Third, pretty much EVERY band that plays, includes this one in their nightly repertoire. Why? Because everyone loves it. It is danceable, singable, foot-tappable, and tolerable when you're walking from one end of the square to the other in search of the decent ice cream cone (Kilwin's in Spanish Springs, otherwise just suck it up and take the 20-minute drive to Cold Stone Creamery in Ocala).

Fourth - for every 20 old folks who decide they're too old to hang out at the squares, or stop going because they've "been there done that got the tee shirt" and are just totally over the experience, there are 20 old folks who just moved in, and want to hear Mustang Sally.

I'm okay with the song, but just once I'd like to see a band that normally plays it, decide not to play it.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl0217 View Post
Exactly as it should be!
Old 01-15-2020, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I just got back from seeing the Hooligans at LSL, it was refreshing that I didn't see one line dancer, not one. They're usually on the side of the stage at LSL. I looked on webcam a minute ago and they were all at SS and BW. I guess they don't like British Rock. The crowd at LSL was huge, probably 5,000 or more, it was market night and the band was smokin'. Last song I heard was Rock N' Roll by Led Zeppelin, did two Cure Songs, Billy Idol White Wedding & Rebel Yell, Bowie Rebel Rebel, the only surprise was they did the Verve "Bitter Street Symphony" the keyboards were recorded but sounded good.

The Villages Webcams
Old 01-15-2020, 09:52 PM
Veteran member

What a great choice of Zeppelin song! Probably my fave of theirs. I used to DJ at a post-punk/alternative club in DC in the '80s and I used to sneak Zep's Rock and Roll into the set and it worked perfectly! So glad the Hooligans is well attended in TV. That bodes well for good music in the Town Squares. Fricken Verve at TV! Unbelievable! I gotta see that band!
Old 01-16-2020, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Was a beautiful night at LSL with a large appreciative crowd but not overcrowded by any means.. The Hooligans never disappoint.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
music, type, point, squares, performers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.