The Villages Musicians

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2015, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default The Villages Musicians

I thought I'd start a thread where musicians in The Villages could communicate with each other. We can exchange ideas, post resumes and let each other know if we're available for gigs or bands or if there are openings in bands for various players. I'm hoping that the administrator will make this a sticky.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:46 AM
Sage

I'll start. I play drums and rhythm guitar. I also do a bit of singing. I played drums in a band for about twelve years back in the 60s and 70s. We were a pop, rock, psych band called Dry Ice. We did an album that never went anywhere but you can find some of our stuff on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Iw...IsN8uD&index=1

We actually still have some fans.

Anyroad, after quitting the band I went on to a normal career and raised a family. I picked up guitar along the way and tried to sing. I loved the Beatles and would learn the chords to their songs. One day a friend told me that I sound a bit like John Lennon when I sing so I started focusing on John's Beatles material.

Then one day someone suggested that I start a Beatles band so I did. We went through several incarnations over the years and played a few gigs in the Boston area.

When I got to The Villages, I figured that there must be other Beatles fans here so I started a club called The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages. It's been a lot of fun and I've met a lot of great people including a lot of fantastic musicians. A few bands have been formed by people that met at our meetings including a band called Vinyl Recall in which I play drums, rhythm guitar and sing. (No, not all at the same time)

Although I love playing in Vinyl Recall. We rehearse once a week and only play out about once a month. I'd like to play out more. I have no intention of leaving Vinyl Recall but would like to have another working band to play in. It would have to be either a Beatles band or an oldies band. I'm not into too much newer music.

Ideally, I would like to play out eight to ten times a month.

So if you have a band or are interesting in starting a project, PM me and we can get together and see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:16 PM
Veteran member

Good idea, Doc!
Old 05-11-2015, 10:54 AM

I'm a "soon to be Villager from the Cleveland, Ohio area. If all goes as planned we'll be making the move by September.

I'm a keyboard player and Have played in numerous bands as either a member or a hired gun for over 40 years. I toured from 1975 until 1988 when my daughter was born and I decided being a dad trumped being on the road.

I'm hoping once we make the move I'll either be able to join or form a working oldies/classic rock group.

Doc- the name of your band caught my attention since my last rock band was named Vinyl Approach. Looking forward to attending the Beatlemaniacs when we make the move!
Old 05-11-2015, 11:15 AM

Great idea as someone who is looking for a band to sing with this will be a must read for me
Old 05-12-2015, 01:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Keys View Post
I'm a "soon to be Villager from the Cleveland, Ohio area. If all goes as planned we'll be making the move by September.

I'm a keyboard player and Have played in numerous bands as either a member or a hired gun for over 40 years. I toured from 1975 until 1988 when my daughter was born and I decided being a dad trumped being on the road.

I'm hoping once we make the move I'll either be able to join or form a working oldies/classic rock group.

Doc- the name of your band caught my attention since my last rock band was named Vinyl Approach. Looking forward to attending the Beatlemaniacs when we make the move!
That's funny. The singer from my old band in the 60s is now in Las Vegas playing in a tribute band called Vinyl Tattoo.

Get in touch with me when you get down here.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroglass View Post
Great idea as someone who is looking for a band to sing with this will be a must read for me
Come on by a Beatlemaniacs meeting on Friday and sing a couple of songs. You'll meet a lot of great people and excellent musicians there.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Doc B, I seem to recall that you were suggesting a group of random musicians get together for a jam session at one of the pools or centers and people could come and listen. Did I make that up? Was it wishful thinking on my part?
Old 05-12-2015, 04:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
Doc B, I seem to recall that you were suggesting a group of random musicians get together for a jam session at one of the pools or centers and people could come and listen. Did I make that up? Was it wishful thinking on my part?
We'll be having an informal gather with acoustic instruments at Paradise Park at the east end of the golf cart bridge under the trees near the lake at 12:00 noon on Sunday May 17.

Bring a chair, lunch, snacks and/or beverages of your choice.

Completely acoustic, no electricity is available.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:01 PM

Dan..vocals and Keys.. currently keyboards for Flipside.. Still works full Time..If you need a hand and I may be of assistance.. Let me know... Thanks for the post DR.... Not a whole lot of time before 5..
Old 05-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
We'll be having an informal gather with acoustic instruments at Paradise Park at the east end of the golf cart bridge under the trees near the lake at 12:00 noon on Sunday May 17.

Bring a chair, lunch, snacks and/or beverages of your choice.

Completely acoustic, no electricity is available.
Is the jam session still happening today?
Old 05-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
Is the jam session still happening today?
Yup, 12:00 noon Paradise Park under the spreading Live Oaks.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.