West Side Story at Savannah

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2019, 12:21 AM
Default West Side Story at Savannah

My husband and I attended the Bernstein show Thursday evening. We walked out at intermission and did not return.
There had to be an audition before these people were hired. How could anybody agree to let these people perform on stage with the selections they chose.
In August of this past year we attended the production of "Something Wonderful". This was outstanding and very enjoyable. We thought "West Side Story - and More" would follow in the same light. In no way did it. It was extremely loud and the high notes were
extremely shrill and hurt the ears. Not everyone is deaf! The selections were not memorable when sung - Candide suffered once and again this evening.
This production has made us think more than twice to buy tickets to any more of your presentations.

Sincerely,
Sandra Bondar
Old 01-04-2019, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbondar View Post
My husband and I attended the Bernstein show Thursday evening. We walked out at intermission and did not return.
There had to be an audition before these people were hired. How could anybody agree to let these people perform on stage with the selections they chose.
In August of this past year we attended the production of "Something Wonderful". This was outstanding and very enjoyable. We thought "West Side Story - and More" would follow in the same light. In no way did it. It was extremely loud and the high notes were
extremely shrill and hurt the ears. Not everyone is deaf! The selections were not memorable when sung - Candide suffered once and again this evening.
This production has made us think more than twice to buy tickets to any more of your presentations.

Sincerely,
Sandra Bondar
How much did the tickets cost?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

We went with friends- Bernstein's 100 birthday with Bill Doherty and part of the Central FL Lyric Opera performers. The evening and performances did not quite meet past perf of Doherty and Lyric Opera at Savanna:

- Bill on piano and a 4 piece...'band'. bass, violin, guitar, drums. They tried their best...but still a band attempting to play 'orchestra music' by Bernstein.

- 6 singers, all did their best for sure - but timing and pitch issues along the way. Impressed by a new performer, Devin Eatmon - a wonderful young tenor talent with superb voice.

- Song selection was a bit questionable, esp the first half...'Candide' music. Last half, all 'West Side Story', which fit the bill. Personally I was hoping/expecting more popular Bernstein classics - so the first part of the show was a bit odd.

- We were 6 rows back from stage, and the sound from the singers mikes could have been stronger overall.

- 5pm perf was 1/2 full. Couple next to us left during intermission, and appeared others did as well.

- $25 per ticket. Was hoping for better music selection from Bernstein's tribute - and crisper performances. But not quite there last night for us. Can't expect a 'Sharon' performance at the Savannah at those prices of course - will not impede us attending more in the future.

Tags
extremely, production, west, selections, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.