What classic rock bands did you see? And how much did the ticket cost?

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Sage
Default What classic rock bands did you see? And how much did the ticket cost?

In 2013 classic rock bands such as The Rolling Stones, The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, and Paul McCartney commanded ticket prices ranging from $624 to $241. The minimum wage is $7.25.

In 1973, when the minimum wage was $1.60 I went to the Summer Jam at Watkins Glen featuring The Band, The Allman Brothers and The Grateful Dead. Tickets cost $10 for all three. They were established rock stars by then. Many of those performers passed away so there can’t be a “final tour”. But if there could be a “final tour” I wonder what a ticket would cost today?

$1,200? Weren’t we lucky?

What classic rock bands did you see? And how much did the ticket cost?
Old 08-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Sage

Palm Beach Pop Festival - Thanksgiving weekend 1969 - Iron Butterfly, Chambers Brothers, Pacific Gas and Electric, Sweetwater, Country Joe and the Fish, Johnny Winter, Janis Joplin, Sly and the Family Stone, Spirit, the Byrds, Rotary Connection, Grand Funk Railroad, King Crimson, Jefferson Airplane, Steppenwolf, Byrds, Canned Heat, and the Rolling Stones. ..Ticket price- $20 for all three days

Jimi Hendrix -1970 Miami Alai Fronton - 5 bucks
Old 08-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

Saw the beach boys at pine knob in Michigan and I think the seats were under $1O.OO also Neil diamond a few times and I think those tickets were under $20.00. Took my daughter a few times before she could drive to the Jesus Jones concert and tickets were under &20.00 also NiN way before they were popular. All I can remember that I wouldn't go to a concert if the tickets were over $30.00 each. What about the prices of Ball games now? Wow they are out of control along with the beer and food.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

Dayton Hydroglobe Music Festival in 1976. Headliners were Ted Nugent and Aerosmith but we also saw Rick Deringer, Rory Ghallager, and Exile. They booed Exile off the stage. Tickets were $10. Saw Boston the next year in Toledo, Ohio for $6.50.

Dr. Seuss
Old 08-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I don't recall ticket prices except the $5.50 that I paid to see The Beatles, from the fifth row in 1966.

Beside them, I saw Cream, Hendrix, The Doors, Joe Cocker, The Who (twice) The Jeff Beck Group. The Small Faces, Rod Stewart, The Rolling Stones, BB King (many times), Delaney and Bonnie and Friends with Eric Clapton, Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Ponies, Arlo Guthrie, Buddy Guy, The Spencer Davis Group, The J. Giles Band and many more that don't come to mind right now.

I was just thinking about ticket prices this morning. I really wish that Paul McCartney, Elton John and all of the other big names would get together and try to do something about the so called legal ticket scalping that goes on today.

I saw McCartney in 2002 for the 11th row. I paid $1600 for two tickets which had a face value of $250 each. Ticketmaster and all of these other ticket agencies are screwing us. I think that it's time that the performers stood up and said, "Enough. We're not going allow this any more". I think that they can do something about it.

For a group of people who generally portray themselves as being very socially conscious they seem to be very quiet on an issue that affects so many of their fans who they claim to love.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:34 AM
Platinum member

saw the Dave Clark 5 for $5. don't remember ticket prices (but couldn't have been much since I had to account to my parents for what I spent) saw Janice Joplin

also at SUNY at Oneonta as part of our fees we saw in concert Laura Nyro, Sly and the Family Stone, Chicago and John Denver
Old 08-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Palm Beach Pop Festival - Thanksgiving weekend 1969 - Iron Butterfly, Chambers Brothers, Pacific Gas and Electric, Sweetwater, Country Joe and the Fish, Johnny Winter, Janis Joplin, Sly and the Family Stone, Spirit, the Byrds, Rotary Connection, Grand Funk Railroad, King Crimson, Jefferson Airplane, Steppenwolf, Byrds, Canned Heat, and the Rolling Stones. ..Ticket price- $20 for all three days

amazing line-up
Who was the headliner? I'm guessing The Rolling Stones.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The most expensive show I ever paid for was Amnesty Int'l Concert Atlanta, GA Omni Center was $36 in 1986. Each band played six songs, U2, The Police, Peter Gabriel, Bryan Adams, Lou Reed & the Neville Bros.

The most I ever paid for a single artist show was Pink Floyd 1988 at Atlanta Omni was $20. In the early 80's at Savannah Civic Ctr I saw many shows and never paid more than $10. That included Foreigner, Scorpions with Bon Jovi, Def Leppard with Krokus, Billy Squier with Saga, ZZ Top with Sammy Hagar, Moody Blues with the Fixx, REM, Molly Hatchet, etc. In Jacksonville 1985 U2 was $15, Frank Zappa 1985 Atlanta $15.

Going back to the 70's I saw Jethro Tull in '72, Deep Purple '72, Black Sabbath '72 and Uriah Heep with Manfred Mann Earth Band '74 and those I paid $7.50 or less.

In more recent times in the mid 90's I saw several shows at Merriweather Pavillion in Columbia, Maryland. They were all $20 lawn tickets and the shows were Boston, Styx & Kansas, Jethro Tull & ELP, Grand Funk with all 3 original members, Blue Oyster Cult/Foghat/Steppenwolf, and so on. Also Peter Gabriel at the Cap Centre in 1993 was $15.

The best sounding show I ever saw was Ambrosia at the Rainbow Theater in Denver 1979 and it was less than $10. It was a former movie theater converted to a concert pavillion. It seated about 1200 people in very comfortable seats. When you entered the lobby it was just like the movie theater with pop corn and food and drinks and the walls were covered with gold records presented to the promoter. The week I was there the shows included Ambrosia, Blondie & Journey. The alternative was the beautiful Red Rocks outdoor shows, Denver really had it nice for concerts.

The show I was probably most hyped for was Journey in 1980 at Gulfport Coliseum at Biloxi Mississippi. For some reason the first three albums Journey produced with singer Steve Perry were Infinity, Evolution and Departure and I played them non-stop. Now I was seeing that band on the Departure Tour.They were great as well as the opening band The Babys. Also I am a great fan of Peter Gabriel and seeing his twice live has been a highlight of my concert shows.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=Dr Winston O Boogie jr;918019]I don't recall ticket prices except the $5.50 that I paid to see The Beatles, from the fifth row in 1966.

Could you tell us more about the Beatles concert? [if you don't mind me asking]
Old 08-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:

I remember the Palm Beach Festival, I was going to St. Petersburg Jr. College at the time and wanted to go really bad, but couldn't find anybody to go with or wanted to miss school. The funny thing was, I had bought King Crimson's first album 'The Court of the Crimson King' and was playing it non-stop and that was the band I wanted to see the most, as well as Grand Funk and the Chamber Bros. Every band had some great songs then, 1969 is my favorite year for music.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
amazing line-up
Who was the headliner? I'm guessing The Rolling Stones.
Yes, Stones played last. Airplane finished about 2:00 am and the Stones didn't come on until about 4:00 am. Sat in the mud and about 30 something degree weather for 2 hours waiting for them. Local news referred to the festival as Woodstock South.

Oh yeah, Vanilla Fudge played also.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Saw the Stones during their Bridges to Babylon tour about 15 years ago at the MGM Las Vegas. Tickets were $300 face value. It was an unbelievable show. The audience was a mixture of white hairs and some of the freakiest "costumes" you'll ever see.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Saw the Stones during their Bridges to Babylon tour about 15 years ago at the MGM Las Vegas. Tickets were $300 face value. It was an unbelievable show. The audience was a mixture of white hairs and some of the freakiest "costumes" you'll ever see.
Was that Jagger and Richards in the freaky costumes?
Old 08-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:

thought you might like this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=777UEHKyka4
Old 08-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Platinum member

I also saw Elton John way in his early days at the Saratoga arts center...had lawn seats so couldn't have been much
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.