What is your favorite "live" music performance of all time?

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2020, 09:07 AM
Gold member
Default What is your favorite "live" music performance of all time?

Since were all in quarantine I thought it would be fun to see what is your favorite LIVE performance by a music artist. Find it on YouTube, copy then just paste it right here on this forum. Here is mine.

Elvis singing American Trilogy in Hawaii. The year is 1973.

American Trilogy (High Quality) - YouTube
Old 04-16-2020, 09:14 AM
Platinum member

Santana
Soul Sacrifice at Woodstock

Santana - Soul Sacrifice 1969 "Woodstock" Live Video HQ - YouTube
Old 04-16-2020, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

When I was a little kid growing up in Northampton, MA I went for a bike ride into town one summer evening. There was a free outdoor concert being played at Pulaski Park by some new band that no one knew. They put on a great show, turns out it was Aerosmith.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:30 AM
Gold member

Great choice! I loved Santana too.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:38 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

A tie between The Eagles at Sprint Center in Kansas City about five years ago before Glenn Fry passed and Elton John in 2001 at MGM Grand in Vegas. Maybe the most enjoyable was a 1964 Peter Paul and Mary concert at Brewer Field House at Missouri University, Columbia because I had front row seat. Also, come to think about it, had front row center seats at Kansas City Music Hall for “Jersey Boys”. When it comes to live performances the nearer the stage the better the experience in my book.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:23 AM

Uriah Heep, Wonderworld Tour, Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, Pa. August 14, 1974
When they played Wonderworld, the arena opened the dome to a spectacular sky full of stars...... still get tears in my eyes remembering it. Of course, this experience was enhanced by the thick cloud inside the Arena before they opened the dome, lol.

Uriah Heep Concert Setlist at Civic Arena, Pittsburgh on August 14, 1974 | setlist.fm

Uriah Heep - Wonderworld - YouTube

Last edited by Inexes@aol.com; 04-16-2020 at 11:32 AM. Reason: another link
Old 04-16-2020, 11:56 AM
Veteran member

Elton John, 1974 Nassau Coliseum. There was a horrendous thunder storm and all the power went out in the building. He just kept playing the piano and singing. Everyone had their lighters lit and he had everyone sing along to his songs. Fantastic showman.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:33 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

Back in the late 1960s I used to attend Julliard String Quartet concerts at the Library of Congress. Tickets were I think 25 cents each. The trick was getting them over the phone at 8:00 am just when the box office opened as they were all gone within a few minutes. The players were faculty members. At least one violin was a Stradivarius. Incredible musicians on some of the finest string instruments in the world. Acoustics were pretty good too.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-16-2020, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexes@aol.com View Post
Uriah Heep, Wonderworld Tour, Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, Pa. August 14, 1974
When they played Wonderworld, the arena opened the dome to a spectacular sky full of stars...... still get tears in my eyes remembering it.
I saw the Uriah Heep Wonderworld Show with Manfred Mann's Earth Band at the Bayfront Center in St. Petersburg, Florida August 8, 1975. Unfortunately the roof didn't open, but David Byron was fantastic as the opening spotlight shined only on him and he did the acapella intro to "Stealin". He was one of my favorite singers and Ken Hensley played a mean Hammond. Mick Box is still carrying on the name touring every year.

It's hard to pick just one show, Journey and the Babys at the Mississippi Coast Colosseum in Biloxi, April 18, 1980 Departure Tour. That was great because we had two great singers, Steve Perry and John Waite, and Journey couldn't be any bigger at the time.

After I couldn't get tickets to see Georgia Carlin, a few of us went to the Electric Zoo club out by St. Pete/Clearwater Airport. It was the Allman Bros September 6, 1969. Had no idea who they were, we paid $3.50 to get in. There was band with a guy with a red guitar and long blonde hair going wild on the guitar, they had two drummers and the singer was this guy sitting down playing the keyboards. I never forgot that show, at the very end, the singer said, we're the Allman Bros and our first album comes out in two months, we hope you buy it.

I've always told people the best live theatrical type show I've ever seen, even better than Pink Floyd, was Jethro Tull on the Thick as a Brick tour, Savannah, Georgia June 11, 1972. It was more than music, it was a sight to be seen. Ian Anderson was fantastic, they had people dressed as giant rabbits hopping on stage. Huge telephones ringing, if you read the Thick as Brick newspaper that came with the album jacket, then it all that.

The Villages Florida

I'll add one more because I hear these guys on the radio all the time. Def Leppard on the Pyromania Tour, July 1, 1983 Savannah, Georgia. This was their first headlining tour, I owned a record store and Pyromania was my biggest selling cassette ever, going through 100 a day and the Union Jack T-Shirts were just as hot. The band didn't disappoint, fantastic show, Gary Moore and Krokus opened. I think I couldn't hear afterwards for 3 days.

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 04-16-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:21 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Nat king cole at the civic arena in pittsburgh on the first date with my new girl friend who later became my wife. I believe it was around 1962 or 63.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

MJ at his best row 11 center
Old 04-16-2020, 02:43 PM
Veteran member

Cage the Elephant opened for The Black Keys. Never imagined this would end up being my all time favorite concert.
Black Keyes
Black Keys - Lonely boy [LIVE Eurockéennes 2014] - YouTube
Cage the Elephant
Cage The Elephant - Cigarette Daydreams | Lollapalooza Brasil 2017 - YouTube
Old 04-16-2020, 03:43 PM

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Purple Haze (Live at the Atlanta Pop Festival)

What I remember of it.
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
I'm a little disappointed you didn't include Grand Funk, their live album was recorded in '69 there.

The Villages Florida
Old 04-16-2020, 08:51 PM
Platinum member

Okay I’ll be the dork. My all time favorite live music experience was going to Broadway to see Camelot. I was 12 and the perfect first play for a girl on the cusp of teen years
Closed Thread

Tags
music, favorite, live, performance, forum

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.