What is your favorite "live" music performance of all time?

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2020, 09:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Okay I’ll be the dork. My all time favorite live music experience was going to Broadway to see Camelot. I was 12 and the perfect first play for a girl on the cusp of teen years
LOL, I don’t consider that dorky. Wonderful music. Here’s mine.

Many years ago, the San Diego Zoo’s Wild Animal Park had evening concerts on a swath of land within the park. You could hear some of the animals while you sat on the grass listening to the music. My wife and I attended a concert by Don McLean. Everything was normal until he started singing Starry Nights (Vincent). The crowd fell silent listening to the haunting lyrics and melody. Then we noticed that all the animal sounds stopped as well. It was wonderful, but eerie. We were in the middle of a valley, surrounded by animals free to roam in large enclosures. Sent shivers. It has to be 40 years ago and we’ve never forgotten it.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

John W, I totally agree with both Jethro Tull and Grand Funk Railroad as some of the best. I saw Tull in Worcester, MA back in the 70's, never got to see Mark Farner and Grand Funk, but have always been a huge fan. Other honorable mentions for me, have seen the WHO, Santana, George Thorogood, Jonathan Edwards, Chicago, and The Almond Brothers many times. Another one of my favorites was seeing Lynyrd Skynyrd live at the Springfield Civic Center about a week before their plane went down. Very Sad :_ ( Stay safe everyone!
Old 04-16-2020, 10:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
LOL, I don’t consider that dorky. Wonderful music. Here’s mine.

Many years ago, the San Diego Zoo’s Wild Animal Park had evening concerts on a swath of land within the park. You could hear some of the animals while you sat on the grass listening to the music. My wife and I attended a concert by Don McLean. Everything was normal until he started singing Starry Nights (Vincent). The crowd fell silent listening to the haunting lyrics and melody. Then we noticed that all the animal sounds stopped as well. It was wonderful, but eerie. We were in the middle of a valley, surrounded by animals free to roam in large enclosures. Sent shivers. It has to be 40 years ago and we’ve never forgotten it.
Thank you

What a beautiful memory. I loved Starry Night.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:33 PM

The Beatles at Cleveland Public Hall in September 1964. Also Hugh Jackman in Boy from Oz on Broadway and Simon and Garfunkel in concert with their special guests, the Everly Brothers. Wonderful memories.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

I don't have a singular favorite live performance. I have singular favorite moments in each of the live performances. I remember John Denver's enormous bed in the middle of the stage when he sang Grandma's Feather Bed at the New Haven Coliseum in I believe 1975. I remember certain moments in each of the Yes shows I've been to, starting in 1977, every single year until 1980, and then every year from 1984 until Jon Anderson had to leave due to illness in I believe 2005-ish (I still have the ticket somewhere, can't remember what year it was). I remember being impressed by Rick Wakeman's son when he performed for Yes one year at Oakdale Theatre.

I remember SO vividly when Ian Anderson rose up out of the stage, which was set to resemble a ship, at the start of his Broadsword and the Beast tour in Massachusetts.

I remember the wineskin that the brother of someone in the Grateful Dead passed me, because he happened to be sitting next to me that night, and then going back stage to meet the band. That was in New Haven too.

When it comes to music and sound, I have a very vivid, 3D memory of things I enjoy. So they're all my favorites.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:53 PM
Veteran member

My second concert ever and it remains my fave to this day: The Doors at Boston Arena, April 10, 1970. Thank God for Youtube.

And that's saying something as I also saw Jethro Tull many times in the early and mid-70s including the Aqualung, Thick as a Brick and Passion Play shows, Bowie as Ziggy Stardust, Black Sabbath's first American tour, Pink Floyd's quad Dark Side of the Moon show, Dylan's '74 tour with the Band, Queen's first American tour, Elton's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road tour, etc.

Like some of you guys, I was also a big Uriah Heep fan and saw their Wonderwall show as well as the Demons and Wizards and Sweet Freedom tours. Also saw them way back when they were still unknown in the states when they opened for Three Dog Night in 1970. My favorite Heep album is Salisbury.

Regrettably never saw the Beatles. My parents thought I was too young to go to a concert at that time. But they let me go one year after the Beatles' last tour to see the Monkees at Boston Garden in 1967!

The Doors Boston Arena 1970 - YouTube
Old 04-16-2020, 10:57 PM
Veteran member

Neil Young during his '70-'72 acoustic tour for After the Gold Rush. Just him on stage singing and telling stories in a 3K seat theater. He made it feel intimate and personal.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I saw the Uriah Heep Wonderworld Show with Manfred Mann's Earth Band at the Bayfront Center in St. Petersburg, Florida August 8, 1975. Unfortunately the roof didn't open, but David Byron was fantastic as the opening spotlight shined only on him and he did the acapella intro to "Stealin". He was one of my favorite singers and Ken Hensley played a mean Hammond. Mick Box is still carrying on the name touring every year.

It's hard to pick just one show, Journey and the Babys at the Mississippi Coast Colosseum in Biloxi, April 18, 1980 Departure Tour. That was great because we had two great singers, Steve Perry and John Waite, and Journey couldn't be any bigger at the time.

After I couldn't get tickets to see Georgia Carlin, a few of us went to the Electric Zoo club out by St. Pete/Clearwater Airport. It was the Allman Bros September 6, 1969. Had no idea who they were, we paid $3.50 to get in. There was band with a guy with a red guitar and long blonde hair going wild on the guitar, they had two drummers and the singer was this guy sitting down playing the keyboards. I never forgot that show, at the very end, the singer said, we're the Allman Bros and our first album comes out in two months, we hope you buy it.

I've always told people the best live theatrical type show I've ever seen, even better than Pink Floyd, was Jethro Tull on the Thick as a Brick tour, Savannah, Georgia June 11, 1972. It was more than music, it was a sight to be seen. Ian Anderson was fantastic, they had people dressed as giant rabbits hopping on stage. Huge telephones ringing, if you read the Thick as Brick newspaper that came with the album jacket, then it all that.

The Villages Florida

I'll add one more because I hear these guys on the radio all the time. Def Leppard on the Pyromania Tour, July 1, 1983 Savannah, Georgia. This was their first headlining tour, I owned a record store and Pyromania was my biggest selling cassette ever, going through 100 a day and the Union Jack T-Shirts were just as hot. The band didn't disappoint, fantastic show, Gary Moore and Krokus opened. I think I couldn't hear afterwards for 3 days.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/IY-x9ZwGTJrrXpNTflSwHrlLKcM3UjjKDaT79ppofgXG6b7tfP7Kk uQoOe0uEaOr7ssMCJMd2nM-WnOsZ5HYC_uammWcQ8v1_a6uFdmy6vs4ip7TNd696UsuCzsPQl Blm31vcIGZkiNR1b7yvyhuB7jWtrG9VE_oXz4ffzdNmNCrdNb4 v9Y1yUZeXpJYq4Ob2yty5YyPsMFDFeTf[/I
MG]
Pretty impressive...... what I wouldn't give to have seen Pink Floyd...... wow.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:48 PM
Default Favorite Live Performance

This thread is great. So glad someone started it. It is sure stirring up some memories. I am a product of the Elvis era, never saw him live. My father wouldn't even let me listen to his music, lol. Saw Louis Armstrong as a teenager. Gene Vincent, Buddy Holly. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, David Bowie, Santana, just on and on. Have also seen the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Pavarotti. Just too many to mention because my taste runs everything from acid rock to opera. Oh, have to mention Tom Jones in his heyday. Oh, and Van Cliburn live. Swan Lake Ballet. What a life it has been..... Thanks for all the memories, OP.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:53 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Blues from the Mississippi bottoms.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:56 AM
Default Desert trip

One Friday night, an all-star team of classic rock veterans — the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Neil Young, the Who and Roger Waters of Pink Floyd on the same storied bill at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, Calif.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:38 AM

Allman Bros at Alpine Valley ski resort in 1979 on the Enlightened Rogues tour. The Ozark Mountain Daredevils opened up for them. Also sat a few feet from Carlos Santana and watched him play in awe. For pure technicality, I finally got to see Return to Forever at the Fox in St. Louis after seeing Al Demiola at the Sheldon a few years prior.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:48 AM

If you get an opportunity, go see the Australian Pink Floyd act. They played at David Gilmour's 50th birthday party in 1995 and he said they were technically better musicians than any of the original Floyd. I think he was being humble. I never got to see the original, but did see the Aussies and they are phenominal. To experience a bit of Floyd's early genius, give this a view. Careful with that Ax, Eugene from Ummagumma. Pink Floyd - Careful With That Axe Eugene - YouTube
Old 04-17-2020, 07:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

At 55 years of age I know I'm on the young side and maybe Foo Fighters is not a well known band to some of you, but my fave concert was when they did a tour of small clubs around 2004 where we got to experience them in a local bar. Dave came right up to the bar to get himself a beer during the concert. Even touched him as he went back to the stage. The best concert of my life.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:22 AM

Another dork...The Three Tenors at The United Center (Chicago) and Peter, Paul and Mary at Ravinia (Chicago).
Closed Thread

Tags
music, favorite, live, performance, forum

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.