4K Television

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2022, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Kinda like getting your eyes tested.
Which is better number one or number two/number one or number two.......et al.

And if you only have one to look at....the difference is...........?
Old 02-07-2022, 10:11 AM

Not so many people have 4k. That's why there is limited programming.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:49 AM
Default Stupidbowl!

Stupidbowl

Who gives a flip anyhow? Like all other NFL games it is not DIVERSE in its player roster. Why isn’t anyone in the “social justice’ nonsense making a flap over this when they are pounding other private businesses over this same thing?
It takes over 4 hours to watch a 1-hour game, ridiculous!!! I can watch a 90 minute Premier soccer game in 2 hours, including extra time and lead in program. Why watch this NFL nonsense of people jumping around like children because the score a touch down. Pure nonsense. If the NFL and NBA disappeared tomorrow I would not miss anything except players complaining they didn’t make enough money or whining about the media, public and coaches. Get a life and a real job and see how much money you make without all the moron media coverage.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
This year, like last year, the Super Bowl will not be broadcast in 4K. Why? I think almost everyone has a 4K TV, but I wonder if the whole technology is a fraud. Even when I can watch something in 4K, I can't tell the difference from regular high definition. Can someone recommend some streaming content where I can actually experience 4K resolution (2160P) that has a noticeably higher quality picture than 1080P? I have a 75 inch 4K TV with HDR, a 4K cable box, and a 4K blu-ray player.
I don'topcorn
Old 02-07-2022, 01:12 PM

I can see the difference, a lot depends on what you watch. If it has a lot of CGI and special effects you'll see the difference. Look at some of the Sunday Night football coverage and you can see it.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

Most television sports coverage is handled by TV networks who broadcast over-the-air (like ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox & PBS) or by cable providers (like Spectrum or Xfiinity) or satellite providers (like DirecTV or DISH Network). The standards for over-the-air are limited to 1080i (1920 x 1080 resolution, interlaced) or 720p (1280 x 720 resolution, progressive). Every cable and every satellite system I am familiar with uses those same resolutions, with a small handful of pay-per-view channels dedicated to better resolution, such as 1080p (1920 x 1080 resolution, progressive) and a VERY small number dedicated to 4K (3840 x 2160 resolution, progressive). The only ways you can get true 4K resolution is through Ultra High Definition (UHD) discs, which don't exactly work for live events like the Superbowl, or through internet-based streaming services. Most streaming services offer multiple resolutions and stream to you the best resolution they can based on your internet download speeds. However, none of them are required to support any particular resolutions, including 4K. Many of them stream no higher resolutions than 1080p.

This Superbowl is being broadcast by NBC and also streamed by their Peacock streaming service. From what I've been able to find on the internet, Peacock is limited to 1080p and NBC is, of course, limited to 1080i. That doesn't mean they can't use 4K cameras and offer the video out as 4K, but to get it you would have to find a source other than NBC or Peacock. That is what they are doing with the Olympics, at least for the opening and closing ceremonies plus certain select events. However, they can only offer the 4K to your cable or internet provider; the provider would have to give up one of their pay-per-view channels to handle the 4K offering. Maybe some cable companies are doing this but I haven't heard of any.

Is there an appreciable difference between HD and 4K? I'm a bit of a videophile and audiophile and I definitely see the difference, just as I can hear the difference between a lossy audio format like Dolby Digital or DTS and a lossless audio format like Dolby TrueHD or DTS Home Theatre Master. After watching really nicely mastered 4K movies like The Lord of The Rings trilogy in true 2160p with Dolby Vision HDR from a high bitrate (90+ Mbps) UHD disc on a well-calibrated OLED-based 4K TV, it is bloody hard for me to watch even a minute of it in 1080i on the same TV from 1080i TV stations coming down from DISH Network satellites. Like I said, I'm a videophile (a 2-dollar word for "video snob").

On the other hand, I have been in many home where the owners happily watched standard definition (720 x 480, interlaced) channels on their HDTVs and thought they were watching HD. When I flip them over to the HD equivalent of the same channel, some are amazed and some don't see the difference. At our ages, most of us don't have the eyes (or ears) we once had! Will those folks see the difference between HD (whether 720p, 1080i or 1080p) and 4K (2160p) TV? Maybe, maybe not. And if you can't, there's no point in upgrading to a 4K TV just to get 4K video. Similarly, if you can't tell the difference between the sound from a TV's built-in speaker and a decent sound bar, don't waste your money on a sound bar, much less a full-blown surround-sound system with a dedicated audio/video receiver and high quality speakers. Instead, take that money (and it's been more tens of thousands of dollars on equipment over the years for me than I care to think about) and spend it on something that you CAN appreciate the differences on!
Old 02-07-2022, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,687 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
Most television sports coverage is handled by TV networks who broadcast over-the-air (like ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox & PBS) or by cable providers (like Spectrum or Xfiinity) or satellite providers (like DirecTV or DISH Network). The standards for over-the-air are limited to 1080i (1920 x 1080 resolution, interlaced) or 720p (1280 x 720 resolution, progressive). Every cable and every satellite system I am familiar with uses those same resolutions, with a small handful of pay-per-view channels dedicated to better resolution, such as 1080p (1920 x 1080 resolution, progressive) and a VERY small number dedicated to 4K (3840 x 2160 resolution, progressive). The only ways you can get true 4K resolution is through Ultra High Definition (UHD) discs, which don't exactly work for live events like the Superbowl, or through internet-based streaming services. Most streaming services offer multiple resolutions and stream to you the best resolution they can based on your internet download speeds. However, none of them are required to support any particular resolutions, including 4K. Many of them stream no higher resolutions than 1080p.

This Superbowl is being broadcast by NBC and also streamed by their Peacock streaming service. From what I've been able to find on the internet, Peacock is limited to 1080p and NBC is, of course, limited to 1080i. That doesn't mean they can't use 4K cameras and offer the video out as 4K, but to get it you would have to find a source other than NBC or Peacock. That is what they are doing with the Olympics, at least for the opening and closing ceremonies plus certain select events. However, they can only offer the 4K to your cable or internet provider; the provider would have to give up one of their pay-per-view channels to handle the 4K offering. Maybe some cable companies are doing this but I haven't heard of any.

Is there an appreciable difference between HD and 4K? I'm a bit of a videophile and audiophile and I definitely see the difference, just as I can hear the difference between a lossy audio format like Dolby Digital or DTS and a lossless audio format like Dolby TrueHD or DTS Home Theatre Master. After watching really nicely mastered 4K movies like The Lord of The Rings trilogy in true 2160p with Dolby Vision HDR from a high bitrate (90+ Mbps) UHD disc on a well-calibrated OLED-based 4K TV, it is bloody hard for me to watch even a minute of it in 1080i on the same TV from 1080i TV stations coming down from DISH Network satellites. Like I said, I'm a videophile (a 2-dollar word for "video snob").

On the other hand, I have been in many home where the owners happily watched standard definition (720 x 480, interlaced) channels on their HDTVs and thought they were watching HD. When I flip them over to the HD equivalent of the same channel, some are amazed and some don't see the difference. At our ages, most of us don't have the eyes (or ears) we once had! Will those folks see the difference between HD (whether 720p, 1080i or 1080p) and 4K (2160p) TV? Maybe, maybe not. And if you can't, there's no point in upgrading to a 4K TV just to get 4K video. Similarly, if you can't tell the difference between the sound from a TV's built-in speaker and a decent sound bar, don't waste your money on a sound bar, much less a full-blown surround-sound system with a dedicated audio/video receiver and high quality speakers. Instead, take that money (and it's been more tens of thousands of dollars on equipment over the years for me than I care to think about) and spend it on something that you CAN appreciate the differences on!
I have very good eyesight, all of the required 4K equipment, and a 600 mbps download speed. But, I believe that many of the services that advertise their content as 4K, are not telling the truth. Am I correct about that? Seeing is believing. I did watch the Super Bowl 3 years ago in 4K and the picture was better than 1080P. But, I have tried to watch many movies and shows that claim to be in 4K, but I don't believe they are.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:03 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
But, I believe that many of the services that advertise their content as 4K, are not telling the truth. Am I correct about that? Seeing is believing.
Like me. Guys come over to watch football, I tell them it's 4k.
They say: Oh man, I can tell the difference. I should get 4k.

Old 02-07-2022, 06:21 PM
Veteran member

You can get 4K movies, TV shows, etc. from Netflix and Amazon. I have a Roku Ultra that can handle 4K. It is a streaming service I hook up to my computer wifi. 4K has phenomenal colors, clarity, and contrast. I love it and even my wife notices the difference. There are many programs that are produced now in 4K, just not on cable or regular TV stations. I think Direct TV had 4K for extra cost but the quality wasn’t that reliable. Others may know more about other places you can get 4K. 90% of my viewing is through the Roku with Netflix, Brit Box, Acorn, PBS, Amazon, etc..
Old 02-08-2022, 08:11 AM

Just sitting here watching CBS spend 10 minutes on Oprah's book pick - think I need 4k for this? - Don't waste your time watching crap on TV - go play golf, pickleball or get some hobbies.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:17 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by montagnard1969 View Post
Stupidbowl

Who gives a flip anyhow? Like all other NFL games it is not DIVERSE in its player roster. Why isn’t anyone in the “social justice’ nonsense making a flap over this when they are pounding other private businesses over this same thing?
It takes over 4 hours to watch a 1-hour game, ridiculous!!! I can watch a 90 minute Premier soccer game in 2 hours, including extra time and lead in program. Why watch this NFL nonsense of people jumping around like children because the score a touch down. Pure nonsense. If the NFL and NBA disappeared tomorrow I would not miss anything except players complaining they didn’t make enough money or whining about the media, public and coaches. Get a life and a real job and see how much money you make without all the moron media coverage.
I have Dish. I record any game I might watch. I can watch the entire game in an hour or less, without having to watch any of their social justice mind altering stuff.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Just watched some of the Olympics, Comcast 1387 (I think) and it was in 4K, very nice picture on my 75" 4K UHD TV.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
You can "upgrade" to an 8K television, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I have watched several Amazon Prime videos that are advertised as 4K UHD, and I cannot see any difference in the picture quality with the 4K turned on or turned off. Also, I had the Netflix 4K service for a while, but I downgraded to the regular service because there was no difference in picture quality.
You must be doing something wrong with your TV setup as to not being tuned for 4K viewing...
Old 02-09-2022, 09:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
This year, like last year, the Super Bowl will not be broadcast in 4K. Why? I think almost everyone has a 4K TV, but I wonder if the whole technology is a fraud. Even when I can watch something in 4K, I can't tell the difference from regular high definition. Can someone recommend some streaming content where I can actually experience 4K resolution (2160P) that has a noticeably higher quality picture than 1080P? I have a 75 inch 4K TV with HDR, a 4K cable box, and a 4K blu-ray player.
Antenna TV — WESH, WKMG, WFTV, WUCF from Orlando all went to 4K last summer. On YouTube, search for “4K video” or add that phrase to whatever else you search for.
Closed Thread

Tags
year, noticeably, 2160p, experience, resolution

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.