AGT winner

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2020, 10:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgsJr View Post
I was very happy he won. He is a unique talent in an unrespected medium, Spoken Word. He was a true performer with a fabulous manner of presentation!!! Much like great poetry it needs to be read/heard more than once to be fully appreciated... His messages were poignant and timely. Go listen to him again on YouTube and I think you will agree!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It's a sad, sad statement about a certain generation that literacy is so devalued. Once upon a time, poetry was what stirred hearts, inspired revolutions, prompted war, created peace, and informed the masses. I am ashamed of the Boomer generation I belong to, if the most positive thing they can think of to say about poetry is that they wouldn't ever see it in Vegas.

Dylan Thomas, Sylvia Plath, Allen Ginsberg, ee cummings, et al, would be flooding their graveyards with tears over the loss of appreciation for the spoken word.

It seems to me that more of you should actually pay attention to Thomas:

Do not go gentle into that good night, old age should burn and rave at the close of day. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Instead - you sit in your armchair whining about how words have no value.
I did not get to see this; we don’t subscribe to any commercial television (cable or satellite). But even without seeing it, I am conscious of the power of the word, and I will look for his performance on YouTube. The quality spoken word has been devalued lately; so much of it has become sound bites with little respect for our language. If he is not your ‘cup of tea,’ there is lots more to see and do in Las Vegas. Poetry can still stir the hearts of those who are open to the joys contained in quality writing and speaking. I can’t wait and hope it is readily available on YouTube.

Last edited by Quixote; 09-29-2020 at 10:52 AM. Reason: removing the word ‘of’ where it didn’t belong
Closed Thread

Tags
talent, winner, americas, show, contestants

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.