AGT winner

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2020, 09:05 AM
Veteran member
Default AGT winner

Did anyone watch America's Got Talent final last night. Is it just me or did I miss something when the winner was a poet? Seriously! I bet everyone will be running to see him at his Las Vegas show. One other point, why do they call the show "America's Got Talent" when none of the judges are American and many of the contestants are not from the USA? Just my opinion.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."

Last edited by bilcon; 09-24-2020 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-24-2020, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Did anyone watch America's Got Talent final last night. Is it just me or did I miss something when the winner was a poet? Seriously! I bet everyone will be running to see him at his Las Vegas show. One other point, why do they call the show "America's Got Talent" when none of the judges are American and many of the contestants are not from the USA? Just my opinion.

why not a poet?

among my favorite pieces of literature are Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken" and John McCrae's "In Flanders Field". JFK thought enough of poets that he invited Frost to write and deliver a poem at his inauguration.

my guess the show is called "America's Got Talent" because it's open to anyone from any of the countries in North, Central and South America... Britain's Got Talent is open to contestants from outside England.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:14 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Default Agt

Did u know that the million dollars is paid out at a rate of 25k for 40 years!!
Old 09-24-2020, 02:32 PM
Gold member

He is more than a poet, he's a real storyteller. And yes I think people will go to see him in Vegas. He is the headliner but a lot more acts will perform in the show.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,455 Times in 3,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
He is more than a poet, he's a real storyteller. And yes I think people will go to see him in Vegas. He is the headliner but a lot more acts will perform in the show.
I'm so glad he won. True lyrical storytellers are hard to find these days. I only knew one on a personal level, his name was Brother Blue. You can read about him here:

Brother Blue - Wikipedia

He was a fixture in Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA when I was a street musician there. We spent many hours hanging out together with the rest of the "street people," discussing everything from philosophy and religion to street fashion (it was an actual thing), to the pair of amphibian cars that we often saw parked outside the Garage.

His presence was missed and from what I recall, Queen Elizabeth II sent a personal condolence card to his wife Ruth after he passed away.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:27 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

I'll be honest, if I go to Vegas I'm not going to see that show.
I thought he was very good... actually excellent at his craft, but I had a hard time following him. I needed to absorb what he was saying and he talked too fast for me to do that.
But then, I'm not going to go see an Opera in Vegas (or anywhere else for that matter), or someone in a one person dramatic play. It's just not my thing.
But I wish him all the luck in the world.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:43 AM

People will line up in Vegas to hear him read his poetry
Old 09-25-2020, 04:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

I was shocked he was even in the final. Changed channel when he was on. Not my type of entertainment.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:10 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 449 Posts

Quote:

This was a bad season for sure.....I am with you on the winner. But I knew it was going to happen, because of the times we are in. I have always laughed that all the judges are not from America. Not sure why so many out of country contestants....your right doesn’t fit the name of the show. Maybe change to American Looking for Talent......🤣😂🤣
Old 09-25-2020, 05:11 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
why not a poet?

among my favorite pieces of literature are Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken" and John McCrae's "In Flanders Field". JFK thought enough of poets that he invited Frost to write and deliver a poem at his inauguration.

my guess the show is called "America's Got Talent" because it's open to anyone from any of the countries in North, Central and South America... Britain's Got Talent is open to contestants from outside England.
This year in the finals The contestants were from Germany and India
Old 09-25-2020, 05:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmsp@aol.com View Post
People will line up in Vegas to hear him read his poetry
He does not read his poetry he performs it. The category he was in is called spoken word.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:13 AM
Default Thanks a lot...

Quote:

Thanks for ruining it for me....guess I’ll erase all my recordings now....sheesh
Old 09-25-2020, 06:44 AM
Veteran member

I thought he was interesting, but to me not a Vegas act; which is the point of the show. Audience votes on the winner, so I think maybe it reflects to some extent a change in who was watching the show this season, with covid keeping so many people at home. I thought overall it was an off season, but that there were several good acts that I thought more deserved to win. Nevertheless, even in an off season it’s still our fav show on tv. We see great acts on AGT that we would never otherwise see; and we watch it for the entertainment value more than for the competition aspect.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:58 AM

Darn! You didn't say spoiler alert. I'm wathcing the semi-finals now.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:07 AM

I quit watching this season. Not that many Las Vegas type entertainers. Country boys should have won instead of poet. Don’t like that show anymore. Not since the Girl with banjo won. Grace V. Would not pay real money to see her of the poet
Closed Thread

Tags
talent, winner, americas, show, contestants

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.