Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2020, 10:49 AM
Veteran member
Thumbs down Help your neighbor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
Please find something to do besides complain help your neighbor

No one cares about AGT
Sorry Mother Theresa! In case you didn't notice, there is not a lot to do since March. I hope you kept your social distance while helping your neighbor .
Old 09-25-2020, 11:36 AM
Default I agree,

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I was shocked he was even in the final. Changed channel when he was on. Not my type of entertainment.
I agree, don't care for rappers or poetry. I think so many singers diluted the votes. Nice guy though. Interesting the judges aren't American though I like them. I think NBC did make the most of the overall situation.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:07 PM

Brandon Leake (the poet) was absolutely amazing. I was rooting for him to win from the time he first performed. He brings a positive and thought-provoking message to our world of unrest.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:29 PM
Default America's Got Talent

Agree. The show has been going down hill for a few years. Too much foreign "talent" and too many large groups and young children competing. The winner is a sign of the times. Could not imagine an hour show in Vegas with a poet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Did anyone watch America's Got Talent final last night. Is it just me or did I miss something when the winner was a poet? Seriously! I bet everyone will be running to see him at his Las Vegas show. One other point, why do they call the show "America's Got Talent" when none of the judges are American and many of the contestants are not from the USA? Just my opinion.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."
Old 09-25-2020, 12:40 PM

I was very happy he won. He is a unique talent in an unrespected medium, Spoken Word. He was a true performer with a fabulous manner of presentation!!! Much like great poetry it needs to be read/heard more than once to be fully appreciated... His messages were poignant and timely. Go listen to him again on YouTube and I think you will agree!
Old 09-25-2020, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

It's a sad, sad statement about a certain generation that literacy is so devalued. Once upon a time, poetry was what stirred hearts, inspired revolutions, prompted war, created peace, and informed the masses. I am ashamed of the Boomer generation I belong to, if the most positive thing they can think of to say about poetry is that they wouldn't ever see it in Vegas.

Dylan Thomas, Sylvia Plath, Allen Ginsberg, ee cummings, et al, would be flooding their graveyards with tears over the loss of appreciation for the spoken word.

It seems to me that more of you should actually pay attention to Thomas:

Do not go gentle into that good night, old age should burn and rave at the close of day. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Instead - you sit in your armchair whining about how words have no value.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'm so glad he won. True lyrical storytellers are hard to find these days. I only knew one on a personal level, his name was Brother Blue. You can read about him here:

Brother Blue - Wikipedia

He was a fixture in Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA when I was a street musician there. We spent many hours hanging out together with the rest of the "street people," discussing everything from philosophy and religion to street fashion (it was an actual thing), to the pair of amphibian cars that we often saw parked outside the Garage.

His presence was missed and from what I recall, Queen Elizabeth II sent a personal condolence card to his wife Ruth after he passed away.
Brother Blue - how do you do - Varied interests - like life at a zoo - Credentials apenty - that's obviously true - Travel aplenty - lots of stamps to glue - My heart's heavy - and that's no levity - My poetry's bad - and I should give up - Take Blue's advice - and shut up!
Old 09-25-2020, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
It's a sad, sad statement about a certain generation that literacy is so devalued. Once upon a time, poetry was what stirred hearts, inspired revolutions, prompted war, created peace, and informed the masses. I am ashamed of the Boomer generation I belong to, if the most positive thing they can think of to say about poetry is that they wouldn't ever see it in Vegas.

Dylan Thomas, Sylvia Plath, Allen Ginsberg, ee cummings, et al, would be flooding their graveyards with tears over the loss of appreciation for the spoken word.

Do not go gentle into that good night, old age should burn and rave at the close of day. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Agreed! And I believe that songs predated written language. Maybe even spoken complex sentences.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:04 PM

I think he won because he touched people with his talks. It's a completely different style than normal winners, but maybe something we need right now, to stop and listen.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:00 PM
Default Agt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Did anyone watch America's Got Talent final last night. Is it just me or did I miss something when the winner was a poet? Seriously! I bet everyone will be running to see him at his Las Vegas show. One other point, why do they call the show "America's Got Talent" when none of the judges are American and many of the contestants are not from the USA? Just my opinion.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."
This “act” was astounding to me. Each time he spoke I was moved. I don’t have any real talent, so I appreciate all. But in this time when the spoken word is so important, I was cheering him on from his first performance.

I respect everyone’s opinion. And I know that not all appreciate.

However, I will anxiously await the ticket sales because I believe in the messages. Also, I believe it is time for us to recognize talents in relegated formats.

IMHO this young man will be very important to our unified future.

Listen again if you will to his messages. I think we could use more doses of his wisdom...again IMHO.

Last edited by Rami.j.spain@gmail.com; 09-26-2020 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:50 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
So glad I missed it. Poetry writing takes talent, but so does doily crocheting. I think both are very personal activities.
BTW ... do you really think that all those phone in "votes" actually are counted? It's all pre determined by the producers of the show. And that's what it is ... a show.
Hmmm.... sort of sounds like mail in voting... (I couldn't resist)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:56 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:

I never said his words have no value. In fact I said I thought he was very good.
I said I would never go see him because that is not how I want to be entertained. Plus, he talked very fast for me so a lot of the impact and meaning of his words were lost on me.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:47 PM

Ok, but still not a bad deal. Who wouldn’t want an extra $25k per year?
Old 09-26-2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Did u know that the million dollars is paid out at a rate of 25k for 40 years!!
The winner can go to: To get the money right away, they can go to: J.G. Wentworth’s Site and sell the winning paperwork to them for the cash........... 🙂🙂🙂
Old 09-27-2020, 06:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdesensi View Post
I quit watching this season. Not that many Las Vegas type entertainers. Country boys should have won instead of poet. Don’t like that show anymore. Not since the Girl with banjo won. Grace V. Would not pay real money to see her of the poet
Right on brother. It was a ukulele, and she was awful. Never saw her again anywhere.
Closed Thread

Tags
talent, winner, americas, show, contestants

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.