Antenna ? Which one are people using ?

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2019, 07:11 PM
Default Antenna ? Which one are people using ?

I cut the cord and have wired for an antenna. I am just wondering which antenna people were using ? And what kind of results they are getting? I have hd it with the cable company’s. I have put many antennas in but we are quite far away from the signals. I have bought an amplifier splitter , and tried an old antenna that I had, but did not get great results. Please get back to me with your thoughts.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-23-2019, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

This won't specifically answer your question but the type and needed gain of antenna you will need depends mainly on your location. Sometimes HEIGHT is more important especially if there is an obstacle between you and the tower like a hill or a building or trees. You can buy the most expensive antenna in the world and best lowest noise amp but unless you can "see" the signal it doesn't matter. If you don't have a "professional" familiar with your location to help you determine the required location on your home, height and gain of your required antenna you might want to start with this website: Address.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

For quicker results, that subject has been discussed a lot, here's a link to several threads. The 'search' button at the top of the website is great.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...rchid=16536793

I use this one purchased on Amazon two years ago for $27 with free shipping, it's gone up a little in price. I put it in the attic over the front of our CYV near Seabreeze Rec Center, aimed at 118 degrees toward Orlando and pick up about 50 channels. About 2/3's are either religious or Spanish. You can get the networks of 6, 9, 35 and their sub-channels, but no channel 2. You would need a second antenna aimed in a different direction, or aim north and receive stations from Gainesville.

After I had it mounted and connected to the guest BR, I had Tom at Villages AV help with the connection since I have Directv hooked to 2 TV's and I wasn't getting anything at first. He found that the coax was bad. He charged about $80 for a hours work, helped with lining up the antenna and testing everything out. You can let them do the whole job and provide the antenna for $250.

The Villages Florida

If you go with this antenna, there are about a dozen sellers on Amazon, just pick the cheapest with the best rating. I also bought the mounting pole and bracket for $17 and connected it to the rafters.

https://www.amazon.com/Vansky-Outdoo...qid=1569290791

Tom at Villages AV lives in St. James and has done hundreds of antennas and TV hookups, just do a search if you need reviews or see photos of his work. He mounts TV on the wall with no wires, he does excellent work. He might take a week to get to you, he's usually booked.

Villages AV Website
Old 09-23-2019, 09:19 PM
Default Thanks

I actually have that antenna and did get ok results. About 44 Chanel’s but no channel 2. I think I might that guy a call.

Thanks for the help,
Old 09-24-2019, 08:40 PM
Default Update

So after narrowing it down little by little I got about 42 stations. But I checked it this morning early and I got 65 ! And all the networks ! But by noon I lost the hard to get ones. Around 8 this evening I checked and they were back again. It looks like I need an antenna with more reception
Old 09-24-2019, 08:43 PM
Veteran member

I got mine from Walmart , its the same as in picture
Old 09-24-2019, 08:45 PM
Veteran member

that's Walmart on line about $27
Old 09-25-2019, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDIronton View Post
So after narrowing it down little by little I got about 42 stations. But I checked it this morning early and I got 65 ! And all the networks ! But by noon I lost the hard to get ones. Around 8 this evening I checked and they were back again. It looks like I need an antenna with more reception
I don't believe a better antenna would make a difference. I think putting the antenna outside is what you need. If you have a CYV like we do, we have our Directv Dish on the roof. An antenna would be no different, it's allowed by the FCC and HOA's cannot prohibit them. Probably on a cottage home or designer home put it in the back yard on a pole and have it above the roof line.

The Villages Florida
Old 09-25-2019, 08:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Buy a 30.00 antenna and get 30.00 results. Buy this 169.00 model and get more channels, consistently. https://www.amazon.com/Marathon-Outd.../dp/B00O2M7N48

The difference is in the amplifier and the filters within the antenna.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:44 AM
Sage

We have a DB4E mounted in the attic by Tom at villager.com. We pull in about 50 stations including NBC almost all of the time. We also subscribe to YouTubeTV so the antenna doesn't really get much use anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDIronton View Post
I cut the cord and have wired for an antenna. I am just wondering which antenna people were using ? And what kind of results they are getting? I have hd it with the cable company’s. I have put many antennas in but we are quite far away from the signals. I have bought an amplifier splitter , and tried an old antenna that I had, but did not get great results. Please get back to me with your thoughts.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-25-2019, 10:08 AM
Default Antennas Direct DB8e

Using an "Antennas Direct DB8e" in attic. Self installed.
Works pretty good but have nothing to compare it to.
About $120. on Amazon. Chose that one because it was recommended by Tom of Village AV in a 3-4 year old thread here. I recall he did not recommend an amplifier with the new (back then) digital signals.

Here's a transmitter locator to help find distances.
Antennas Direct | TV Transmitter Locator and Mapping Tool
Old 10-12-2019, 09:05 AM
Default Omni Antenna

I installed an Omni antenna on the highest peak of my roof. Has built in amp and receives signals from all directions. Gets up to 80 channels but maybe 50 are what you would want to watch. Seller has them for around $85.00.

LAVA HD8008 Ultra 4K Antenna Manual

LAVA HD8008 Video Review From Minnesota
We bought the HD8008 antenna from AntennaDeals.com.
Shipping was fast and free. We cut the cable bills and we are
really happy with the antenna. We are receiving more channels
than we did with basic cable. The HD picture quality
is perfect, much more clearer than satellite or cable. Great buy!
5.0 out of 5.0 Star Rating
Reception up to 125 miles - "Set it and forget it" No aiming or pointing
1080p High Definition and Ultra 4K Ready
Full 360 degree omni-directional antennas
Receives stations from North, East, South, and West all at the same time
Outdoor or in Attic, supports up to 8 TVs
Antenna Size: 28 inches wide, 11 inches circular dome, 3 inches height
Powerful inline amplifier included
Anti-UV Coating, 100% Waterproof
FREE SHIPPING
5.0 out of 5.0 Star RatingReview Ratings
Proud USA company
15 years of service
SALE $84.95
Old 10-13-2019, 08:09 AM
Veteran member

This guy on YouTube has some good advice

antenna man - YouTube
Old 10-14-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
This guy on YouTube has some good advice

antenna man - YouTube
Thanks for this link - this young man is very informative.
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, people, results, splitter, signals

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.