Bletchley Circle on PBS

Bletchley Circle on PBS

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 07:58 AM

It is quite a story, at least the parts that she told us. On the way to England they had to stay in their cabins. They were put in the back of a truck and taken to Bletchley where they stayed in chicken coop like buildings for weeks. Not even sure what country they were in, all of our lives growing up she played cards. Looking back she could count cards, we could never beat her at any game. She did puzzles until a few days before she died. Was amazing with numbers. I gave her a computer when she was about 75 and within a week she was pasting and sending things to my sisters. I now know why.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:33 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianne237 View Post
This was and still is a great program. The Bletchley women were the heroes of the war, and were not acknowledged. They were not allowed to admit their war time work to anyone, even to their husbands. When the truth came out, they were finally given the praise they deserved.

Marvelous series and another part of history we should know about.
Pales in comparison to the 290,000 deaths and 670,000 U.S. Military wounded during WW2 and 48,000 deaths and 300,000 wounded in the Vietnam and the 150,000 Vietnam Vets who committed suicide. Interesting that when these statistics are written about gender is never mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2019, 10:47 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyman View Post
It is quite a story, at least the parts that she told us. On the way to England they had to stay in their cabins. They were put in the back of a truck and taken to Bletchley where they stayed in chicken coop like buildings for weeks. Not even sure what country they were in, all of our lives growing up she played cards. Looking back she could count cards, we could never beat her at any game. She did puzzles until a few days before she died. Was amazing with numbers. I gave her a computer when she was about 75 and within a week she was pasting and sending things to my sisters. I now know why.

Thank you, Harleyman.

I bet your mother has some mathematically brilliant descendants, some already, some long into the future maybe. What a wonderful story to pass down.

You mentioned puzzles. I was just with a friend whose grandchild is a toddler, 18 months old. She loves to play with puzzles (designed for little ones) and she patiently solves them. I have seen her do this. I told him that I think this little girl is wired for math. Also, I love it that her puzzles are hands-on and not on a screen. (But that is a soapbox topic of mine for another day.)

(I have to say that I am wondering if your mother was also musical, or are any of her offspring? I have observed that often, though not always, playing a musical instrument comes easily to those for whom math comes easily.)

Anyway, thank you.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:48 AM
Sage

Last edited by John_W; 04-17-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
From where were they coming? Where is Bletchley exactly? I wonder how they found these women who had such amazing qualities to figure out codes. Were they volunteers or were they drafted?

I know your mother must have been fascinating. And her genetic abilities must have been gifted down.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:10 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Not everyone fought on the front lines, and even if a woman wanted to she was denied. Just because they worked behind the lines doesn't mean they should not be honored for the work they did in winning the war. How about all those men who sat home and did nothing at all because they were CO, or flat feet, or some other ailment. These woman actually contributed to our victory. Every war has casulties, and every war has heroes, these woman were heroes.
Thank you, John W.

The women pilots of WWII did not get the recognition they deserved. In fact, tragically, sometimes they were sabotaged by insecure men who were supposed to be serving alongside them.

There is a book called “Yankee Doodle Gals: Women Pilots of World War II” by Amy Nathan. It is a book for YA (Young Adult) readers but it is something anyone interested would like. Excellent photos.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Thank you, John W.

The women pilots of WWII did not get the recognition they deserved. In fact, tragically, sometimes they were sabotaged by insecure men who were supposed to be serving alongside them.

There is a book called “Yankee Doodle Gals: Women Pilots of World War II” by Amy Nathan. It is a book for YA (Young Adult) readers but it is something anyone interested would like. Excellent photos.
WASP - Women Pilots of World War II
Old 01-05-2019, 04:44 PM

About 50 women who were in the a Royal Canadian Army were picked to take a course in Ontario, based on a test of some kind they had done. About twenty of them were chosen to go to Bletchley, which is outside a London, about 30 miles or so I think. My mother was good in math and puzzles. She had also worked for the phone company as a switchboard operator before the war. The only musical ability was that she played a wicked harmonica. I could go on forever but from what I know, which isn’t as much as I would like, it was an experience of a lifetime. As a point of interest, her father was a Major who served in both world wars, was wounded twice in the first nine, had two brothers killed in the first war. She had two brothers who were both air crew in the second war. When I asked her brother a few years ago if he knew about her working at Bletchley, he told me that he did know about it and also that he himself was a commando during the second war and was shot when he was parachuting out of a plane on a mission. I was the first person he had told that and he was 90 when he told me. There are other military stories about her family but I have gone on long enough. All the best to everyone.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Thank you, John W.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:40 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
About 50 women who were in the a Royal Canadian Army were picked to take a course in Ontario, based on a test of some kind they had done. About twenty of them were chosen to go to Bletchley, which is outside a London, about 30 miles or so I think. My mother was good in math and puzzles. She had also worked for the phone company as a switchboard operator before the war. The only musical ability was that she played a wicked harmonica. I could go on forever but from what I know, which isn’t as much as I would like, it was an experience of a lifetime. As a point of interest, her father was a Major who served in both world wars, was wounded twice in the first nine, had two brothers killed in the first war. She had two brothers who were both air crew in the second war. When I asked her brother a few years ago if he knew about her working at Bletchley, he told me that he did know about it and also that he himself was a commando during the second war and was shot when he was parachuting out of a plane on a mission. I was the first person he had told that and he was 90 when he told me. There are other military stories about her family but I have gone on long enough. All the best to everyone.

Thank you and thank you to your family.
Closed Thread

Tags
series, women, basically, bletchley, good