Bletchley Circle on PBS

Bletchley Circle on PBS

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 01-05-2019, 07:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Not everyone fought on the front lines, and even if a woman wanted to she was denied. Just because they worked behind the lines doesn't mean they should not be honored for the work they did in winning the war. How about all those men who sat home and did nothing at all because they were CO, or flat feet, or some other ailment. These woman actually contributed to our victory. Every war has casulties, and every war has heroes, these woman were heroes.
Never suggested that they should not be honored. They indeed played a very important part in the war effort. But so did all the women who stayed home including my mom who had 4 kids in a one bedroom apartment Living on an Army allotment and ration stamps. No stories about them because it does not fit the subliminal Agenda that entraps many. Point is that these great women were treated unfairly but so were a lot of other veterans who were spat upon and called baby killers. My FIL. Was shot down over Ploesti and was a POW under very bad circumstances but he amazingly never complained or thought he was special. This story could have been about their achievements but PBS prefers to dote on victimization. Life is not always fair but that is true for all genders.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
...Point is that these great women were treated unfairly but so were a lot of other veterans who were spat upon and called baby killers...
I hear a lot those comments that many veterans were treated unfairly and looked down upon, I don't know where that was or by who. Living in the south we were exempt from that, because it never happened. In January 1970 I dropped out of St. Pete JC in my second year and enlisted in the Army. Went through basic and school and went to orientation for Nam, but my orders were changed to Korea for 13 months. When I came back I was stationed right in Savannah at Hunter AAF.

When I ETS from there in '73 I stayed about a year, then went back home to St. Petersburg. I never once ran into anyone who had a negative word and cross-eye look at me, or said anything like baby killer. I think because Savannah and St. Petersburg were very conservation cities, we never had that problem. When I graduated from St. Pete in '68, we were still required to wear dress pants, dress shirts and shoes with socks and military style haircut and no facial hair. This was a public high school, the oldest in the state of Florida. As you can see, some communities, I guess especially here in the south, embraced a attitude of the straight and narrow and really looked down upon hippies and liberals. It's probably why I like The Villages so much, it sort of like home.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2019, 08:01 AM
TOTV Moderator

Please return to the topic....the PBS TV show. Getting sidetracked ....

Old 01-06-2019, 10:11 AM
Sage

I am sure I am not alone in saying that I enjoyed the personal connection from Harleyman. I felt it added to this thread and to all of our general information. He is another lucky fellow in his choice of mothers.

Are you a year rounder in The Villages, Harleyman? It would be lovely to hear you talk about your mom at length.

I think how amazing it was that people kept mum about this secret. It showed the stiff upper lip and the moral fiber of the people in that generation.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:13 PM

Thanks Gracie. Of all the people who post on this site there about six or seven that I would like to meet and you are at the top. We are from Nova Scotia and have owned for eight years. We spend about four and a half to five months a year at our house.. We will be back hopefully in mid Feb until mid April. I would love to get together with you and tell you some more of the story. My mother wrote us a letter about her war times but she would not actually tell us about Bletchley. They all signed a sixty year oath of secrecy and she took most of the stuff to her grave. I will send you a note when we get back. Perhaps we can arrange to get together for a chat.

Tags
series, women, basically, bletchley, good