Chromecast or Firestick or ROKU

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2021, 12:44 PM
Veteran member

Big fan of Roku as it is the most independent of the options to stream. Thousands of channels are available and easy to add including Prime and Apple.

If you are buying a TV then you may want to consider one with Roku preinstalled. It means one less remote to deal with.
Roku

Last edited by ithos; 03-21-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Which of these devices do you have and what do you like or dislike about them? Thanks
We have an Apple TV device and like it better than our Roku. You can easily mirror the screen of your device onto the TV. We use this when Zooming with the kids. Also can play iTunes music easy enough through it.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:07 PM
Sage
Default Roku

We cut the cord about a year ago and decided on Roku. I think the choice is a personal one. One may not be right for everyone. It depends on what your TV likes and dislikes are. For us, we don’t watch any news, so Roku works for us. There are no news stations on it. We get the channels we like most, so it suits us well.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:13 PM

This has been very informative for me, a new Villages owner about to by a new television and streamer of some type.
Sort of reads like the posts on my Village is better than your Village, but very helpful to me. I am going to like the Talk of the Villages.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:59 PM
Sage

We started using Roku six years ago when we cut the cord. That Roku device was killed in a lightning strike so we bought a new one a couple years ago. They've improved much in features and ease of use. We only pay for Netflix, locast.org for news, the Amazon prime membership once a year, and PBS Passport membership. It's easy to subscribe to Roku pay channels like Acorn and Smithsonian, for example, and just as easy to unsubscribe when you are done with them.

Like OBB, I also believe in paying for what we view, and not view so-called "free" content.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:38 PM

We have 2 Roku units and they serve us very well. I find them very user-friendly. Be sure to get the remote with the volume control.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,249 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
Firestick is O.K., but it is really tied to Amazon and what they offer.
How so? I was able to (legally) download the ATT TV, Netflix, Hulu, etc, etc, etc, Apps with no problem...

Yes, it comes with Amazon, but I also have that on my Apple TV (up North)...
Old 03-21-2021, 07:55 PM

Ok, one more country heard from. I had Roku up north and it was fine. Here I cut cord, have Comcast for Wifi & Chromecast for all else. I use my smartphone like a controller, have all the apps I want (Netflix, Prime, PBS, Hulu) loaded on my phone and cast from it. No prob. $25 a month, plus the cost of subscribing to the apps.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 03-21-2021, 10:28 PM

How did you all get started with any of these things? Seems so confusing
Old 03-22-2021, 06:48 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
No it is not legal. Bypassing fees imposed for service by manipulating a device is against the law. It's also a pretty low-rent classless thing to do. If you can't afford to pay for a service, then don't get the service. The actors, producers, the network that provides the shows, the gafs, the stage hands, the caterer, the babysitter of the staff's kids, they all rely on revenue stream from the premium fees that those premium channels charge their customers.
I think you misread the comment - Firesticks can side-load APPS that Amazon doesn't publish, and that is perfectly legal.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:50 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
Firestick is O.K., but it is really tied to Amazon and what they offer..
Kind of an odd statement as the Firestick allows installation of ALL the apps the Roku has.... plus a lot more that Roku doesn't have.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Which of these devices do you have and what do you like or dislike about them? Thanks
If you have Apple devices like phones or iPads, get an Apple TV. Work flawlessly and integrate with all the other devices.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,614 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
Kind of an odd statement as the Firestick allows installation of ALL the apps the Roku has.... plus a lot more that Roku doesn't have.
Please explain what you mean by "all the apps the Roku has". As I understand it, you can search the internet and add any app you can find onto a Roku, and without using the side load process. I have never had a problem adding apps to my Roku. Are there some apps that the Roku won't accept? I am not interested in watching illegal content.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
Big fan of Roku as it is the most independent of the options to stream. Thousands of channels are available and easy to add including Prime and Apple.

If you are buying a TV then you may want to consider one with Roku preinstalled. It means one less remote to deal with.
Roku
That's good advice we purchased a Roku TV can't beat it.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
How did you all get started with any of these things? Seems so confusing
It was pretty simple why we got started and it was simple to do: 1) Comcast kept raising their rates to the point where Comcast cost more per month than SECO billed for an all-electric house, which just seemed odd, 2) We were irritated by 90% of the channels they offered for non hi-def and 3) Husband kept remarking that if something were to happen to me, the first thing he'd do is get rid of Comcast.

So to make things easier for all, we decided to turn in the boxes to Comcast and pay them for internet only. (We looked at CenturyLink but they could only bring 10 mbs to our location). We installed a Roku, subscribed to Netflix, and had an attic antenna installed for local stations. Upgraded the router so all areas would get a decent signal.

The antenna became undependable after a few years so now we pay Locast.org $5.50 per month for local channels for news and weather. The only cable channels we miss are Turner Classic Movies and occasionally C-Span. And life is much simpler without cable news.
Closed Thread

Tags
dislike, chromecast, devices, roku, firestick

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.