Complete Rookie in understanding HOW TO cut the cord

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2022, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

What is unclear to me about cutting the cord/streaming is;
one, availability of major/local networks ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, etc.
Most programs we watch are on these networks.

Secondly, we record almost everything, then watch at our pleasure.

There is also what I would consider as the convenience packaging. Comcast/Xfinity et al have everything bundled/packaged/available in one easy to navigate "system".

The above three considerations unsolved (for me so far)......keeps us tethered to the cord.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:27 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,083 Times in 295 Posts
Default How to cut the cord

There's really not much to cutting the cord. You found your way to TOTV, so you've already mastered the tricky internet part.

Forget trying to use your smart TV features unless it's so new that is has built-in Roku or Amazon Fire. Instead, buy a Roku or Amazon Firestick stick for all your TV's, at about $20-$30/pop (Roku is easier, I think). Plug it into one of the HDMI ports on the back of the TV and plug in the power supply. Turn on the TV, select the HDMI input where you plugged in the stick, and follow the on-screen instructions for connecting it to your WIFI.

Then, on your computer, use your browser to go to Hulu and order Hulu Plus for about $70. It'll be free for the first month, and it includes most of the Orlando channels you normally watch on cable, as well as all of the ESPN channels, and Disney plus. It also has thousands of movies and TV series, like Netflix does, and you can also stream network TV shows anytime you want, the day after they first air. It also has a built-in "DVR" feature, but since everything is available to stream, anyway, you probably won't use it much, like you do with cable. Unless you buy the upgrade, you have to watch the commercials, even when you DVR.

"Sling" is a cheaper way to get the locals ($35) but it doesn't have the other Hulu features, and you have to pay extra for ESPN. It does have a built-in DVR, feature. You can try it for free, too, to see which one you like better.

On your TV, in Roku (or Firestick) add the Hulu (or Sling) "app", and you're streaming. The main inconvenience is that the channel number selector on your remote no longer works. To view live TV, select "Live" from the top menu. To get to the channel guide while in "Live" mode, click the down arrow. The channels are in alphabetical order instead of numbered.

Lastly, unplug the cable TV cable and call Comcast to remove the cable TV service and keep the internet service.
Closed Thread

Tags
streaming, service, figure, smart, set

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.