Cut the cord, now have sling but want local channels.

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2020, 11:38 AM

We have YouTube tv has all local channels
Old 08-10-2020, 12:33 PM

You may want to do a google search on "Steaming TV Services".
I use FuboTv which covered local channels and all the other channels I watch. My cost when I subscribede was $54.99. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2020, 02:18 PM

I cut the dish and went with YouTube TV, 85+ channels, $65.00 monthly. You get a lot golfchannel, ESPN and fox sports, turner classic movie, check it out on internet
Old 08-10-2020, 02:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilcreast View Post
Pretty soon, streaming regardless of which service plus internet will cost about the same as basic cable and internet from either Comcast or Spectrum. It's a scam. Every two years I have to change providers to get an acceptable package. Nuts
Plus 1
Old 08-10-2020, 02:44 PM

Satellite TV has no WiFi. All other services require a WiFi connection plus crazy taxes in FL. Soectrum is 65+ taxes after a year, Comcast higher. That doesn’t include router or DVR. Nothing is less than 125-/mo except very limited on Sling.
Amazon Prime annual 120-; Netflix 11-16/mo, Peacock NBC, Hulu, etc not incl showtime Hbo etc
Old 08-11-2020, 07:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
We cut the cord a month ago and signed up for sling TV. I would like to get some local channels like Orlando CBS (when a golf match leaves the Golf Channel) and perhaps a few others. I am also not interested in an antenna on the roof. I know I am getting a bit picky here but I don't know that for sure. Any suggestions?
My house had a satellite dish mounted on a pole next to the AC. I just mounted a $20 Yagi antenna on a taller pole attached to that, about 25 feet off the ground. Pointed it 112 degrees, towards Bithlo Fl, where the Orlando-Daytona TV station antennas are located, and the reception is generally as good as, sometimes better than Comcast. Try it, you will like it!
Old 08-11-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
For those who currently have Xfinity Mobile cell phone service and a Comcast landline as part of a bundle, you may want to consider replacing the landline with an extra cell phone. You can get unlimited cell phone service for $13.49 per month with up to 1gb of data, and even cheaper if you use a shared data plan. And, if you use it mostly in the house, you wouldn't use any data because the phone would be connected to wifi. An extra cell phone would also come in handy if you lose or break your primary cell phone.
If you want a free or almost free landline telephone, you can sign up for a free Google Voice account, and buy an Obihai box to connect the free Google Voice line to your physical telephones. The Obihai box is a one time cost of about $50. If you need the 911 location service to work it will cost $20 a year for that subscription.

If you need to keep your existing landline telephone number, there’s a process to do that. Transfer the landline telephone number to a cheap burner cellphone with a one month prepaid card, then transfer the number to the Google Voice line. Direct telephone number transfers from you old landline to Google Voice, are not allowed, only indirect telephone number transfers.

After that, you’d have free monthly landline service every month, unless you have the 911 location subscription for $20 a year. The one time costs are made up very quickly. It’s excellent call quality, nationwide free unlimited calling, many extra telephone features that are also free. If you move, you can take the Google Voice line, the Obihai interface box, and physical telephones with you.

When I had the Comcast Triple Play package, dropping my Comcast landline would have increased my cost. After I dropped my Comcast cable TV, and have the Comcast Internet and Comcast Internet service, I could drop the Comcast landline and save about $12 a month.

I could buy a cable modem and return the Comcast rental modem to save another $14 a month. The cable modems with telephone jacks cost about $200. The cable modems without telephone jacks cost about $80. So, that another reason to replace the Comcast landline with the Google Voice and two line Obihai interface box I already own. I’m using the Google Voice line for my fax telephone line. I’d just need to add a second Google Voice line.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
If you want a free or almost free landline telephone, you can sign up for a free Google Voice account, and buy an Obihai box to connect the free Google Voice line to your physical telephones. The Obihai box is a one time cost of about $50. If you need the 911 location service to work it will cost $20 a year for that subscription.

If you need to keep your existing landline telephone number, there’s a process to do that. Transfer the landline telephone number to a cheap burner cellphone with a one month prepaid card, then transfer the number to the Google Voice line. Direct telephone number transfers from you old landline to Google Voice, are not allowed, only indirect telephone number transfers.

After that, you’d have free monthly landline service every month, unless you have the 911 location subscription for $20 a year. The one time costs are made up very quickly. It’s excellent call quality, nationwide free unlimited calling, many extra telephone features that are also free. If you move, you can take the Google Voice line, the Obihai interface box, and physical telephones with you.

When I had the Comcast Triple Play package, dropping my Comcast landline would have increased my cost. After I dropped my Comcast cable TV, and have the Comcast Internet and Comcast Internet service, I could drop the Comcast landline and save about $12 a month.

I could buy a cable modem and return the Comcast rental modem to save another $14 a month. The cable modems with telephone jacks cost about $200. The cable modems without telephone jacks cost about $80. So, that another reason to replace the Comcast landline with the Google Voice and two line Obihai interface box I already own. I’m using the Google Voice line for my fax telephone line. I’d just need to add a second Google Voice line.
Thanks for the information. My problem is that I have a Comcast landline, but the only time I ever used it was when my cell phone died. I am going to drop the landline and add another cell phone to my Xfinity Mobile account to provide a backup phone which will be portable. It may cost a little more, but, to me, the redundancy will be worth the extra cost. It was a very difficult situation when my cell phone died and It took about 5 days to try to repair it and then to replace it.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Thanks for the information. My problem is that I have a Comcast landline, but the only time I ever used it was when my cell phone died. I am going to drop the landline and add another cell phone to my Xfinity Mobile account to provide a backup phone which will be portable. It may cost a little more, but, to me, the redundancy will be worth the extra cost. It was a very difficult situation when my cell phone died and It took about 5 days to try to repair it and then to replace it.
Here’s another option for you. If you have an iPhone or upgrade to an iPhone, which is superior to an Android cellphone, you could add an iWatch. The iWatch can also be a backup to the iPhone, and will work independently of the iPhone if the iPhone breaks, or even if you forget the iPhone in your home or car. The iWatch only needs the iPhone periodically for updates.

Sometimes we misplace our iPhones around the house, and we can quickly locate the misplaced iPhones by using the iWatch to active the iPhone ringer. If you misplace the iWatch, you can call it with another cellphone or landline causing it to ring.

The iWatch also has health monitoring features, which can be helpful. The iWatch costs another $10 a month to your cellphone bill. With our T-Mobile service, one iWatch is $10 a month extra, and the other iWatch is free. Plus, we get free Netflix and free WiFi in some of the airlines.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:40 AM
Default WE got rid of cable a couple of years ago

It was about $75 at that time for just the standard stations.
We do have internet and after investing in a smart tv (large flat screen from Walmart (on sale))we now get hundreds of channels at no charge, including movies, learning channels, news, weather, etc.
NOCHARGE Just plug it in and you have TV. but you do need internet.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:09 AM

You can try the app Locast. It locates the local stations and actually gives you a guide that looks like a cable guide. They will ask for you to donate though I don't believe it's required. Don't know if Orlando is on it yet but they are adding cities all the time.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:38 PM

You cut the cord, now you want more channels. I guess you should have left the cord alone. I have comcast, and get over 800 channels i don't mind paying for what i want.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERCHIEF View Post
You cut the cord, now you want more channels. I guess you should have left the cord alone. I have comcast, and get over 800 channels i don't mind paying for what i want.
On Comcast, they duplicate a lot of channels. If you subtract the duplicate channels, that total channel count probably is close to 200 channels. But the problem is I don't want 200 channels, where 197 channels are garbage channels that I don't ever want to watch. I only want three channels, and I don't have the option to a la carte the three channels and pay a drastically lower price.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:54 PM

Thank you!
Old 08-12-2020, 08:27 PM
Default Novice cord cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
We cut the cord a month ago and signed up for sling TV. I would like to get some local channels like Orlando CBS (when a golf match leaves the Golf Channel) and perhaps a few others. I am also not interested in an antenna on the roof. I know I am getting a bit picky here but I don't know that for sure. Any suggestions?
Thanks to all who responded to my initial post! I have learned a lot from you all.I need to checkout these other services beyond sling. But I had one further wish. We have a bunch of TV's in the house and lanai and I would like to be able to access what ever service I use on all TV's (certainly not more than 2-4 TV's at one time) Just thinking for say football I would like to view the game in the family room, den and lanai at the same time. Any suggestions? Thanks again! Villagers are the greatest!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
cut, golf, local, cord, sling

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.