Tivo with CableCard

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2020, 11:53 AM
Angry Tivo with CableCard

Has anybody had any experience with a DVR that needs a CableCard with Comcast/Xfinity? Is it working?
Old 01-17-2020, 12:31 PM
Veteran member

We have owned TiVo's for close to 20 years. We currently have two units in our house (one in LR, one in master) plus a TiVo Mini in another bedroom. The first two units have cable cards (one in each device). They work fine. Sometimes when you move them to another house (which we have done multiple times) you have to call and have them "zap" the card (send a signal to it) before all of your pay channels show up but otherwise we have never had a problem. TiVo is the ONLY reason we don't cut the cord and use a streaming service. I love my TiVo so much!

Are you having some kind of problem or just anticipating that you might?

kathy
Old 01-17-2020, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhallam View Post
Has anybody had any experience with a DVR that needs a CableCard with Comcast/Xfinity? Is it working?
Not currently but up North I used a Tivo with no issues once they got the card authorized. Had a few issues but eventually it was fine.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:31 PM

We had a miserable experience with Xfinity trying to install a CableCard (supplied by Xfinity). We finally gave up just before our trial period ended to avoid getting charged. We have a relatively new (1 year) Tivo Bolt. Nobody at Comcast seemed to remember how to install and activate the card. We're looking at cable again and only for basic tv but I've read that even that requires a CableCard in order to match the channel numbers in the Tivo Guide.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:34 PM
Veteran member

Yes, if you are going to use TiVo you need a cable card. I'm sorry you had so much trouble. Back in the early days it was hard to find a technician who had a clue about them but over the last several years that has really changed. I would suggest that you pick up another cable card from the Xfinity store and try it again. It could be that your previous card was bad. That can happen. You certainly should not have trouble watching a basic cable package with your TiVo and it would be a shame if you were unable to utilize the equipment you paid for.

k.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:35 PM
Veteran member

Cable card installed in TIVO several yrs ago with no issues I can remember, works great.
Closed Thread

Tags
cablecard, comcast/xfinity, working, experience, tivo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.