Cutting the cord

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2019, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Not Enough sports....your friendí ½í¸í ½í¸í ½í¸Ž...see?
You are a Funny Guy! I still can't remember the guy's name!
Old 09-26-2019, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We rely on the DVR. We record everything and anything we intend to watch. Hence we view at our convenience and not have to endure commercials.
Some programming now has what they call smart resume. You hit fast forward and it starts again after the commercials.

Until streaming gets more convenient (a relative term) with suitable DVR capability we choose to pay a little more for the convenience.

I believe streaming is still in it's early evolution and will operate similar to today's packaged providers at some point. And yes the price will go up along with the convenience.

IMHO.
Connected Villager Workshop
Old 09-26-2019, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

We've been using Roku for about 6 years now, and are very happy with it. We can stream many different "networks" from it, such as Amazon Prime - free, if you're already a Prime member, HULU, Netflix, YouTube (although, I don't know if that's the same one people get as their primary device. There are probably many other just as good or even better, but once you start using a system, many become lazy and don't research other devices
Old 10-01-2019, 04:06 PM
Bosoxfan

DO NOT BUY from The Firestick Guy Brian at the market of Marion. Remain part has been down almost 2 weeks. I call or text Brian and I get responses that are very rude. Live and learn
Old 10-01-2019, 04:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
DO NOT BUY from The Firestick Guy Brian at the market of Marion. Remain part has been down almost 2 weeks. I call or text Brian and I get responses that are very rude. Live and learn
In Europe, authorities shut down a service called Xtream Codes. It is not a IPTV Service, but rather a front end system used by the IPTV services. This has caused many of the services to go off line. The shut down occurred about two weeks ago. This most likely why the “Firestick Guy†services are down.

Last edited by Mleeja; 10-01-2019 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-01-2019, 05:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Whats worth watching Perhaps repeat of the screen test pattern from the 60's
Old 10-01-2019, 08:34 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
In Europe, authorities shut down a service called Xtream Codes. It is not a IPTV Service, but rather a front end system used by the IPTV services. This has caused many of the services to go off line. The shut down occurred about two weeks ago. This most likely why the “Firestick Guy†services are down.
What does this mean? Do you think the services will be restored?
Old 10-01-2019, 10:19 PM

There is no such thing as a free lunch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Veteran member

When we lived in southwest, Florida, we cut the cable and got Roku, and an HD antenna as the reception was good, and we got about 18-20 channels off the air. We kept basic internet only. Crapcast says it's 50 Mbps at $49 but in reality it's only about half of that. That's OK, as one only needs 5 Mbps for streaming video. But here in TV we didn't have much luck with antenna reception, so we went back to Crapcast, but kept our Roku, which we use more than regular TV. I would recommend Roku.

We did, at one time, have DirecTV, but every time it rained, we lost our picture. That was about 8 years ago. Maybe they improved it, but I don't know.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:00 AM

Ditched Directv, put up an antenna, roku plus smart tv's
Hulu just offered 1.99 a month for 12 months. And Netflix and prime. Too much to watch
Old 12-14-2019, 04:39 PM

It is not wrong to jail break a device. The problem is doing the jail break to install copyrighted programs or shows. Example, NFL live broadcast which clearly states during the program it is illegal to copy. The jail breakers will claim you have thousands of programs and sports to watch, better hope none have copyrights. Very expensive hobby if caught.

Many of the IPTV providers are finding themselves in hot water over all of this right now.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 12-14-2019, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulbrooks View Post
The jail breakers will claim you have thousands of programs and sports to watch, better hope none have copyrights. Very expensive hobby if caught.

Many of the IPTV providers are finding themselves in hot water over all of this right now.
Tadpole's Bar in Brandon, just east of Tampa, decided not to pay the annual $1,600 licensing fee for music rights. They hired a band to play on a special occasion and received a bill from BMI for over $300,000. As it were, BMI sent bills to 25 bars and restaurants in the Tampa Bay area. They settled with 11 bars for a total of $342,000. Tadpoles got a lawyer and fought the case and was offered a settlement of $30,000. Tadpole's closed because they could not afford the amount and stay open.

Tampa Bay businesses are sued for playing copyrighted music without paying fees

The Villages Florida
Old 12-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
On their web site they make it sound oh so simple. Even calling it "...intuitive...".

On a scale of 1-10 techie ability I would rate myself a 6.

Is it really as simple as presented?

And if the offering is as capable and easy as advertised for a significant reduction in cost.....why are there not more responding with their satisfaction.
I have been trying the free trial of you tube tv. It is very good. “Intuitive� Yep. I like watching news in the morning on Fox 35. Except on Saturday their news does not start until 8:00 am. When I brought up You Tube TV this morning at 7:30 am it suggested Channel 2 news!

Alas, after adding up all the cost for You Tube TV, Internet service and Ooma phone service, it was only about $10.00 less than my Comcast service, including all their silly fees... I am going to stay with Comcast for awhile longer. Let the streaming services shakeout.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:56 AM

I have used Roku and Apple, recently Amazon had the fire stick on sale at half price so I decided to buy a couple of the 4K fire sticks. After receiving them I decided to jailbreak them and I must say I am absolutely amazed that it took me this long to make this decision, I have the ability if they so desired to watch movies that are currently at the movie theaters not saying I do that but I also have a virtual private network that does not show my actual Internet number. These things are very simple to use 100% legal most young peopleDo not subscribe to cable I always thought it was foolish that they did that but now I know It’s a great idea. The cable companies have gotten greedy over the years and you’ll see more and more people cutting the cord. I don’t think I’d buy a ElectronIc Device from the flea market but that’s just me if you’re on the fence do what I did I kept my cable until I was comfortable enough to use streaming not to mention I’m saving $125 a month the whole process is easier than you think it scared me as well but give it a chance I think you’ll love it the picture quality is much better and if you want to DVR theyre available in the cloud.
Closed Thread

Tags
stick, fire, weeks, inoperable, week

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.