Cutting the cord

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We rely on the DVR. We record everything and anything we intend to watch. Hence we view at our convenience and not have to endure commercials.
Some programming now has what they call smart resume. You hit fast forward and it starts again after the commercials.

Until streaming gets more convenient (a relative term) with suitable DVR capability we choose to pay a little more for the convenience.

I believe streaming is still in it's early evolution and will operate similar to today's packaged providers at some point. And yes the price will go up along with the convenience.

IMHO.

Interesting, everything you pointed out as negative does not happen with us at all. I guess we all have different experiences.

1. We have a DVR, but never use it any more since we can go back and watch anything we want on demand from the original streamer or one of the many other sites offering shows 2 or 3 years old. I am a geek, and I do have a media server (computer) that is dedicated to being a DVR and storage for all the movies we might ever want to see (400 or 500 at this point), but we mostly just stream them from Apple, or other sites, our DVR is very lonely at this point.

2. I don't think I have seen more than a commercial or two in 10 years of streaming. I don't know what you have streamed with commercials. The last commercial I watched was on HULU years ago and a simple increase from $10/mth to $12 or $15 per month (I don't recall) eliminated those.

One thing that may explain the difference is we watch almost NO first run commercial TV shows from networks like ABC, NBC, CBS. Fox, etc. Most of what we watch is from Prime, Netflix, HULU and HBO, Showtime and BritBox.

Again, we watch very little TV anyway - maybe 2 to 3 hours some nights just before bed. I have no interest in Sports, and 99% of commercial TV is boring to me.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Sage

Some of the streaming services, such a YouTube TV, have both DVR capabilities and a program guide with the look and feel of the programming guide from cable/statellite providers. Regarding cost, YouTube TV is $50/month for about 70 channels with no contract.

Quote:
We rely on the DVR. We record everything and anything we intend to watch. Hence we view at our convenience and not have to endure commercials.
Some programming now has what they call smart resume. You hit fast forward and it starts again after the commercials.

Until streaming gets more convenient (a relative term) with suitable DVR capability we choose to pay a little more for the convenience.

I believe streaming is still in it's early evolution and will operate similar to today's packaged providers at some point. And yes the price will go up along with the convenience.

IMHO.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

We use a VPN in USA to watch all UK tv programmes live and Catchup when in US from our laptop when over wintering at TV's
Also have Amazon firestick with a download called Smart IPTV which enables us to watch pretty much any channel in the world.
Funny thing is we are not avid TV watchers, but its good for all Sports channels, and I do like PD Live!!
Old 09-24-2019, 12:28 PM

Simple. YouTube TV ………..Good coverage...includes local news....has a great DVR feature. I think it is up to 5 or 6 tvs on one account. We are using on 4 tvs in the home now. Would never go back to Direct TV with AT&T.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 09-24-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulbrooks View Post
Simple. YouTube TV ………..Good coverage...includes local news....has a great DVR feature. I think it is up to 5 or 6 tvs on one account. We are using on 4 tvs in the home now. Would never go back to Direct TV with AT&T.
On their web site they make it sound oh so simple. Even calling it "...intuitive...".

On a scale of 1-10 techie ability I would rate myself a 6.

Is it really as simple as presented?

And if the offering is as capable and easy as advertised for a significant reduction in cost.....why are there not more responding with their satisfaction.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:22 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
On their web site they make it sound oh so simple. Even calling it "...intuitive...".

On a scale of 1-10 techie ability I would rate myself a 6.

Is it really as simple as presented?

And if the offering is as capable and easy as advertised for a significant reduction in cost.....why are there not more responding with their satisfaction.

Kid, you will rock it.

I have it on a smart TV & thru Roku on the dumb ones.

It reminds me of cable TV with the menu & guide.

They offer a free trial period.
No cost.
I think it's 14 days.

As they say, "Nothing to lose".

Good luck.

Addition to post: And it trails with you.............if you travel.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

AS I told Nucky months ago..... I have a hard time setting the clock on the microwave. I decided to give streaming a try because I disliked Comcast. Did the FREE streaming for a couple weeks before cutting the cable. Sort of like working with a net under you for safety. Worked out the bugs and cut the cord. At first went with DirecTVNow (ATTNow). They cut channels and raised price..... said good bye to them too. Have YouTubeTV and love it. Also have Prime with my Amazon acct. and Netflix. Netflix is very reasonable. We have 3 SMART TVs so don't use any sticks. If I can do it.... anyone can!
Old 09-24-2019, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
AS I told Nucky months ago..... I have a hard time setting the clock on the microwave. I decided to give streaming a try because I disliked Comcast. Did the FREE streaming for a couple weeks before cutting the cable. Sort of like working with a net under you for safety. Worked out the bugs and cut the cord. At first went with DirecTVNow (ATTNow). They cut channels and raised price..... said good bye to them too. Have YouTubeTV and love it. Also have Prime with my Amazon acct. and Netflix. Netflix is very reasonable. We have 3 SMART TVs so don't use any sticks. If I can do it.... anyone can!
Couldn't be happier with Roku & YouTube TV with History Channel, Discovery Go, The Munster Channel, Crackle Prime TV. Many Other that are all free. The only charge is YTTV = $53 all in, taxes, everything.

CWGUY gave me the push to try it and I can see the point of paying for the convenience of DirecTV up till the point they were bought out. It really is not an inconvenience at all to Stream. It was easy.

One point of interest. YOUTUBE TV can be shared by 6 households not, just 6 television sets. We have two of our sons on our account up north so they pay Zippety Do Da and I pay the bill just like the old days. They found a way back onto the payroll!
Old 09-24-2019, 10:05 PM

We did direct tv for the same reason, back and forth to Indy. For the last year the 5 minute zip code change call took over and hour! Then they made a $700 mistake on our August bill and 3 hours on the phone would not correct it. I reported them to our bank as fraud and got our money back.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:13 PM

Just beware of “fire stick tv guy” at market of marion. Server is still down now. If isn’t fixed soon I’ll be paying them a visit all day Saturday and Sunday with a “ask me about my service” sign! Don’t fool around with us retired guys....we got all day!
Old 09-25-2019, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I don't see how that is evidence of legality. Amazon is not doing the jailbreak. Ford does nothing to prevent speeding.
Speeding doesn't affect Ford's bottom line, watching Amazon shows without paying for them affects theirs.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
It's easy to "jail break" to Fire Stick, just go to www.troypoint.com" and follow his video along with his written directions.

If "jail-breaking" was illegal, then Amazon (that makes the Fire Stick) could send down a update that would stop it. They don't.
IANAL but, the DCMA specifically makes it illegal to modify a computer system for uses they were not intended for. So, jail-breaking iPhones, Fire Sticks, whatever could be illegal technically. The problem is it is not worth it to Apple or Amazon or Microsoft or whoever is being hacked to take legal action.

That does not make it right or moral.

Personally, I don't have a problem with jail-breaking devices, it is what people then do with the device that bothers me. Kind of like guns, I don't care if you own a basement for of guns, rockets, and bombs. It's what you do with them that concerns me.

If the purpose of jail breaking a device is to allow the user to view media without paying for it (which is often the purpose - done with a wink wink - nod nod), that is illegal and immoral.

As a professional photographer I actively protect my copyrighted materials. When someone copies a photograph I sold them they are stealing from ME and my children. When someone watches a movie they did not pay for they are stealing from the copyright holders.

Maybe they will get away with it, and maybe they smooth over their morals by thinking thinking the "big business" deserves it.

But it is still stealing and immoral.

If on the other hand you jail break a device to make a use of it you could not have done without the jail break, and that use does not involve stealing, then I see no harm and no foul in the jail break.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Speeding doesn't affect Ford's bottom line, watching Amazon shows without paying for them affects theirs.
The law does not care if Amazons bottom line is affected or not. This is NOT a Tort law where one must show damages to have standing to sue.

The law is the copyright law and it is illegal and punishable by up to $25,000 per incident to copy, distribute or view movies and tv shows without paying for them.

As a professional photographer many people believe that once they pay me for the prints they get they can do what ever they want with them. That is NOT true. I own the copyright, (Amazon owns the copyright on their productions/creations). If someone. copies or even displays publicly a photograph I sold them - I can and do sue for breach of copyright.

Whether or not it is "worth it"' is another question entirely, but make no mistake it is stealing and immoral.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
One of my friends has a couple of these Jail Broken Sticks See? I can't remember his name! I don't know where he lives See! I can't imagine someone at a Flea Market would be involved in something Shady See!

Roku is The Bomb! It constantly gives you more choices. There is so much good stuff on I'm losing my tan! Book 'Em Danno!
Not Enough sports....your friend😁😁😎...see?
Old 09-25-2019, 10:41 AM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bclark View Post
Just beware of “fire stick tv guy” at market of marion. Server is still down now. If isn’t fixed soon I’ll be paying them a visit all day Saturday and Sunday with a “ask me about my service” sign! Don’t fool around with us retired guys....we got all day!
I have Brian's number...352-801-0785
Closed Thread

Tags
stick, fire, weeks, inoperable, week

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.