Doc Martin

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2015, 06:15 AM
Veteran member
Default Doc Martin

A few people on other thread recommended this to watch on Netflix, so perhaps there's enough interest in a discussion.

We started watching last year, and maybe catching up on 2-3 episodes a week isn't the best, because I've started getting both irritated by and impatient with Martin. Luisa, too, but more Martin. It just seems like this season there aren't as many funny or gently whimsical scenes -- it's all marital misery all the time.

I like Joe and his bumbling sincerity and Ruth's no-nonsense intelligence.

Bert needs a new storyline, because his never-ending money troubles are getting tiresome as well.

I can hand-wave a lot of the medical stuff because the show is insistent on making everything "quaint" instead of "accurate," but the doc often seems to be practicing 19th century medicine, with patients crammed into his poorly-stocked examining room with no gowns or a nurse or anything. Most of his diagnoses involve a quick discussion, followed by an amazing deduction out of nowhere. I realize that's the premise of the entire show -- that Martin is a brilliant diagnostician but emotionally ill-equipped to interact with patients -- however it has become rote now.

I'm going to see the thing through to the end to find out what happens, but I wish the tone hadn't turned so serious in the later seasons.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:38 AM
Sage

I love that show. Martin Clunes said, after six series, it is difficult to find new story lines. Martin Clunes Discusses Potential Series 7 Storyline | Blog
Old 01-11-2015, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have felt the same way as of late Halibut. Try Father Brown on Sunday night. Great show. Love the absolutely amazing costuming from the forties and do not be turned away thinking it religious. It is a very decent show.

I remember that you didn't like to be wished Merry Christmas even though your ancestors are from Italy. This ISN'T churchy or maudlin or emotional or sappy. Not even Lassie-y. But it isn't all gory and messy and hatey either.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:07 AM
Gold member

Love the show...I suggest Inspector Morse, Inspector Lewis, Sherlock, Midsomer Murders...Doc Martin is typically British and like American shows gets repetitive...still a great way to escape if you can avoid being to critical...
Old 01-11-2015, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
Love the show...I suggest Inspector Morse, Inspector Lewis, Sherlock, Midsomer Murders...Doc Martin is typically British and like American shows gets repetitive...still a great way to escape if you can avoid being to critical...
We love those too. And I agree. Also Pasco and Dalzyiel(sp?) although their accents are REALLY tough to understand at times.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.