For "Downton Abbey" Fans

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Sage
Default For "Downton Abbey" Fans

Just got around to watching the last episode of Season 3. If things go on at this rate, by Season 6 we'll be watching Thomas smoking all alone in the basement of an empty mansion.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 02-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Gold member

Yes, I was sorry to see the demise of Matthew, apparently the actor declined to re-up for Season Four, and his wish was the director's command - "deceased" No chance of the occasional visit, and certainly no "dream sequence"
Old 02-19-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Just got around to watching the last episode of Season 3. If things go on at this rate, by Season 6 we'll be watching Thomas smoking all alone in the basement of an empty mansion.
Seriously, your are correct!
Ugh, I was so upset I wanted to write to complain!..the season is short enough, then this....I am a recent fan, this season, but have been watching the previous episodes to catch up on Netflix just to see things like why: Bates went to prison.
In any case I love the series, but felt manipulated by the ending. Loved Matthew and the way he and Mary came to love each other.
M. Boyle (New York, CT and soon to be TV)
Old 02-19-2013, 06:24 PM

So much tragedy! Can't wait for next season, I think it will be interesting to see Mary as a single woman raising her son, she is one of my favorite characters on the show. Wish there was more great television like this show, love the Brit TV shows.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The series was so popular that the cast has been offered parts in movies and are moving on.

Last edited by duffysmom; 02-20-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Veteran member

PBS needs to air the series closer to when it is aired in Britain, since the demise of Matthew was widely discussed there and leaked over here. I wish I hadn't known it before I watched the show. It is a real spoiler.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Platinum member

So glad I didn't know ahead of time. It really blindsided my husband and I.
We thought Mary was going to lose the baby. Terrific show.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Sage

i had not heard any of those rumors and his gruesome death was a terrible shock to me, only a few weeks after the death of beautiful sybil! it actually triggered a lot of grief over recent losses of my own....made me wonder if there is a "casting dept" in heaven which puts people into our lives and takes them away with impunity.... hope next season will not be so tragic...i need I Love Lucy for a while now!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Platinum member

Awful ending. Took me by surprise as well. It should have ended with everyone toasting to the birth of the new baby. That was too tragic.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Sage

First the horrible tragic death of Sybil, who was so sweet and beautiful after the birth of her baby. Why did the writer have to bring another tragedy coinciding with a baby's birth??? I agree it could have ended differently!!! Couldn't they have had Matthew, Mary and the baby travel to America for awhile then the family hears "something" happened while they were gone? But with some happiness experienced for awhile for the family...it wouldn't have been so shocking!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:47 AM
Sage

I think it's all because the Matthew actor wanted out of his contract. What a shame.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I think it's all because the Matthew actor wanted out of his contract. What a shame.
Yes.....but he was so good in that part. We will miss him.....as will everyone.
Love that series.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default sad, sad, sad, sad, sad

....I was saddened too but figured they couldn't just let Mary be happy for awhile!!!!hahahaha

Hope no one else leaves.

At least they did not let us grow accustomed to these characters and then just change the actors playing the part.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Gold member

JBlum is correct, the actor portraying Matthew wanted out of the series. Many UK directors oblige that request by "killing off" the character. I hope the actor is successful in finding other roles. Let's see what the character "Mary" will do in series 4. She always seems to be in control despite what life throws at her. And then, there is..... "Edith"....... and the odious Lady's Maid O'Brien..... Can't wait for next season and hope its soon
Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Veteran member

downton-abbey-cartoon-jpg
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.