The Great British Bake-Off

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2020, 09:23 AM
Veteran member
Default The Great British Bake-Off

The new season is airing weekly on Netflix. Pastoral and gentle, as usual, with kind contestants and a new host this year.

Do you follow the series, try any of the recipes at home, dream of graceful white tents on green lawns?
Old 10-17-2020, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Love this show, amazed at how many young men are enjoying baking as a relaxing hobby. Wish my husband would start baking. As for the recipes, they are mostly very difficult and not the usual English kitchen recipes.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-17-2020, 10:23 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
The new season is airing weekly on Netflix. Pastoral and gentle, as usual, with kind contestants and a new host this year.

Do you follow the series, try any of the recipes at home, dream of graceful white tents on green lawns?

I need to watch this. I keep forgetting about it.

I know 4 millennials who watch it. They speak of it as if it is a form of therapy.

All of them have been working from home for months. Between that and each day’s fresh hell of news, they are all watching “The Great British Bake-Off” when they need to tune out and tune in.

And they bake — and sometimes text us pictures of beautiful loaves of bread, etc. I bet their homes smell wonderful.

We sent a Kitchenaid stand mixer as a gift to one couple. (We had already given one as a gift to the other couple.) They all have been baking and baking some more.

We have not actually seen them in months. They have always been health and fitness-conscious adults. But now I am wondering if they might be slowly turning into butterballs.

Will I be blamed for giving the gift of Kitchenaid? — and dough hooks, included — uh, oh.

Boomer, Guilty or Not Guilty?
Old 10-17-2020, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I need to watch this. I keep forgetting about it.

I know 4 millennials who watch it. They speak of it as if it is a form of therapy.

All of them have been working from home for months. Between that and each day’s fresh hell of news, they are all watching “The Great British Bake-Off” when they need to tune out and tune in.

And they bake — and sometimes text us pictures of beautiful loaves of bread, etc. I bet their homes smell wonderful.

We sent a Kitchenaid stand mixer as a gift to one couple. (We had already given one as a gift to the other couple.) They all have been baking and baking some more.

We have not actually seen them in months. They have always been health and fitness-conscious adults. But now I am wondering if they might be slowly turning into butterballs.

Will I be blamed for giving the gift of Kitchenaid? — and dough hooks, included — uh, oh.

Boomer, Guilty or Not Guilty?

good on you!

many millennials grew up missing out on learning how to cook from the generations before them...cooking is all new to them (let alone cooking from scratch)

mixing all of the ingredients for a meat loaf together with your hands isn't a lot different than working in the garden...which many believe reduces stress

sad that the many lessons/skills that we learned in 'shop' and 'home economics' are often cut from the schools today
Old 10-17-2020, 01:57 PM
Platinum member

Love this show and also “Chef’s Table” and “Fat, Salt, Acid, Heat” (maybe wrong order.). Both go on location and very beautiful scenery.
Closed Thread

Tags
follow, home, recipes, series, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.