Help Roku remote talking to me

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2021, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Help Roku remote talking to me

I have touched a button on my Roku remote and am now getting audio instructions on every move I make through the TV. I know there must be a way of turning off this annoying mechanical voice, but cannot find it. Please help before it drives me crazy!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-03-2021, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I have touched a button on my Roku remote and am now getting audio instructions on every move I make through the TV. I know there must be a way of turning off this annoying mechanical voice, but cannot find it. Please help before it drives me crazy!
Go to "home", "settings", "accessibility", "audio guide", and turn it off.
Old 07-03-2021, 01:14 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Mine started asking me if I wanted to extend my car warranty! Go into Roku Audio settings and you can turn it off.
Old 07-03-2021, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
Mine started asking me if I wanted to extend my car warranty! Go into Roku Audio settings and you can turn it off.
I don't think you can fix it in the audio settings. You need to use the "accessibility" settings.
Old 07-03-2021, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't think you can fix it in the audio settings. You need to use the "accessibility" settings.
Thank you, it was driving me crazy. I did try going through the Audio setting without success. I will have to remember it is accessibility.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-03-2021, 04:01 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
I think it depends on which model. My oldest one has audio settings. My new one has accessibility- to the audio functions settings.
Old 07-04-2021, 05:45 AM
Veteran member

You can always go on the Roku site and look it up as well.
Old 07-04-2021, 06:31 AM

Most every time someone posts a simple question like this one, there is an answer of where to go on the internet to find the answer. I think we all know where the internet is. As a new owner and future resident, I really like reading the questions and the answers. I have new Roku TVs in my place, I had no idea they might one day start talking to me. Keep up the questions (and answers)! I learn something from TOTV every time I read it!
Old 07-04-2021, 06:48 AM
Default Thank You

Quote:
Go to "home", "settings", "accessibility", "audio guide", and turn it off.
Thank You
Old 07-04-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Thank you, it was driving me crazy. I did try going through the Audio setting without success. I will have to remember it is accessibility.
Always google it, you can solve most problems. I have a son that is a software engineer and that is always the first question he asks me, did you google how to fix whatever the problem was. Now I google first.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
Excellent
Old 07-04-2021, 10:45 AM
Default talking remote

Think you’ve got it bad. The other night we were watching “The Chosen”. In the scene Jesus had just finished a private conversation with John the Baptist and in parting said “ I love you”. My Amazon Nest photo device chimed in with “I love you too”.

It must be some kind of “right wing conspiracy” to make us all surrender to Big Brother.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:27 PM
Default Roku answer. The same thing just happened to me

Quote:
From Menu..go to settings...accessibility...audio guide...arrow over and check off. Done
Old 07-05-2021, 05:04 AM
Default I have been there! Here's the instructions

Quote:
You can disable the Audio Guide from the Roku's Accessibility settings menu. From the Home menu, scroll down to Settings, then select Accessibility > Audio Guide. Choose the “Off” setting, and get ready for some peace and quiet.Feb 26, 2021
Old 07-05-2021, 10:49 AM
Default TV sound issues

I have had the same problem and drove myself crazy to figure out how to get rid of it. If you go to a live tv show and hit the * on your Roku remote a menu will pop up on the left upper corner of the screen. Scroll down to Accessibility and click on audio guide and click the audio narration on or off. Hope this helps.
Closed Thread

Tags
remote, roku, annoying, turning, mechanical

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.