How can I brighten my TV screen?

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2022, 07:38 AM

Pull the plug out for 5 minutes…it will factory reset…
Old 04-18-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
The Villages Florida
“It’s not a tumor” (in an Austrian accent and a deep voice)
Old 04-18-2022, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I stream using Roku. I mainly watch YouTubeTV and Prime. Recently I have noticed my screen is so dark it is hard to see what is happening. Last night I watched an Australian program that was really great, but some of the shots were too dark to see anything, but I could hear the action.

I notice this more on the older programs that come up on streaming. Is there anything I can do to lighten my site. I tried searching, but found nothing.
Go into the menu of your TV Remote control. Look for category dealing with picture quality. There should be a brightness section.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersweeney View Post
Pull the plug out for 5 minutes…it will factory reset…
That may correct some issues, but it won't change any settings you made or reset them back to the factory defaults. Otherwise, you would need to adjust your TV after every power outage.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I stream using Roku. I mainly watch YouTubeTV and Prime. Recently I have noticed my screen is so dark it is hard to see what is happening. Last night I watched an Australian program that was really great, but some of the shots were too dark to see anything, but I could hear the action.

I notice this more on the older programs that come up on streaming. Is there anything I can do to lighten my site. I tried searching, but found nothing.
If the television is less than 10 years old then it may have a setting in the menu where there is an adjustment for an automatic response to room lighting. That could be a factor if it is on, or if it isn't it then it may help to turn it on. Some of the other comments are correct in saying to adjust the brightness manually or by picture modes in the TV's menu.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,516 Posts

Paint it yellow and pink?
Old 04-18-2022, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post

Paint it yellow and pink?

Moving a pole lamp closer to the TV tends to brighten it.

Seriously, with the low prices of TVs today, it's easier to replace than fix them. We recently had a TV that was only four years old, start to get dark from the top and slowly moving the dark toward the bottom. Looked at replacing the LEDs myself, but decided that it was too much hassle for an old retired guy like me. Bought a new on and put the other at the end of the driveway with a sign on it "FREE." It disappeared.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Using the remote that came with the tv, go into settings and then picture. It should prompt you to where you can adjust the picture settings like brightness, color, tint, etc. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2022, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
Some times there is a big difference between live TV, or cable, and some of the streaming movies and shows.

Watching golf yesterday and picture was great. Then last night I started watching a new Josh Brolin show on Netflix (Outer Range). Some of the scenes were so dark I could barely figure out what was going on. Attempted to adjust screen lightness to no avail.

Wasn't first time I noticed some night scenes on streaming stuff was really dark. So maybe compare overall tv picture to streaming movies etc

FYI, Outer Range seems like an episode of the Twilight Zone.
I have watched "Outer Range" and I think they shot some scenes purposefully dark and use some foreboding music to enhance the mystery quality. It kept my interest. I wonder when episode 3 becomes available? The hippy mystery tent camper talked about the Greek God Chromos and mentioned time and movement between worlds.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:20 PM
Veteran member

There tends to be another setting in your menu that may say "store mode" or something along those lines. It is used in stores to boost the brightness so the screen can be seen in bright light.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proveone View Post
Go into the menu of your TV Remote control. Look for category dealing with picture quality. There should be a brightness section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaNi4os View Post
Using the remote that came with the tv, go into settings and then picture. It should prompt you to where you can adjust the picture settings like brightness, color, tint, etc. Good luck.
Makes me wonder if anyone actually reads the thread before posting. In this case, all they had to do was get to post #2
Old 04-18-2022, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Makes me wonder if anyone actually reads the thread before posting. In this case, all they had to do was get to post #2
It’s not always about you. Good grief.
Old 04-18-2022, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
It’s not always about you. Good grief.
WHAT?????? It has nothing to do with me. Most people aren't thrilled to read the same answer over and over.
If you like it, maybe I could introduce you to the membership chairman of the redundancy club
If you like it, maybe I could introduce you to the membership chairman of the redundancy club
Old 04-18-2022, 06:49 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,619 Times in 1,763 Posts

My TV set brightened itself without me touching it. The picture got much sharper, too. I had cataract surgery and that did the trick!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-18-2022, 09:16 PM

I had this problem with my 6 year old 60 inch Samsung and went to picture settings and turned off the automatic "ambient room lighting" adjustment. That did it - no more dark scrreen
Closed Thread

Tags
dark, screen, notice, shots, hear

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.