James on jeopardy

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2019, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
His mind is just amazing...I get the feeling that he "allows" his opponents to answer some of the questions, as long as their scores don't threaten his score.
I met people in law school who had photographic memories. He might have one.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Off topic ........... but, does anyone remember Marylu Henner from the TV show Taxi? She is extremely interesting she says: “What I have is known as Highly Superior Autobiographical Memory. It’s like a fancy name,” she says, laughing. “They don’t call it hyperthymesia anymore because that sounded like a disease.”

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-25-2019, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Off topic ........... but, does anyone remember Marylu Henner from the TV show Taxi? She is extremely interesting she says: “What I have is known as Highly Superior Autobiographical Memory. It’s like a fancy name,” she says, laughing. “They don’t call it hyperthymesia anymore because that sounded like a disease.”
A tad more off-topic.

Because of his almost supernatural ability to recall everything from about the age of 1-1/2 on, I had my oldest tested...when he was about 12 (he, of course, could tell me the exact day...lol).

While he didn't meet the threshold of the very rare condition of 'hyperthymesia,' the doctor did kiddingly mention that we may want to avoid arguing with him as to dates/places/events that he's experienced...because we would most likely lose.

We in the family, lovingly call him "our family historian"...who doesn't need a diary to remind him of things.

He was also diagnosed as dyslexic in grade school and struggled with certain things.

The doctor suggested that he developed his highly advanced memory from concentrating on listening to others (mostly quietly hiding in the corner, listening to adults...while the rest of the kids were playing with toys in another room)...so that he could verbalize instead of writing (he had/has pretty bad writing). Buying him a laptop computer when he was in 8th grade, when the cheapest good ones were about $2,500 and up...made a huge difference.

We were fortunate in that before he got his computer, most of his teachers accommodated him and allowed him to verbally perform things like book reports...instead of writing them out by hand.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you have a child/grandchild who seems to do poorly in school and/or handwriting, but otherwise exhibits a very high vocabulary, memory and intelligence/emotional IQ...they well could be dyslexic (or have another condition) and just need accommodations to excel.

Which, in the field he's chosen as a 38 year old adult...he is now doing.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 04-25-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
A tad more off-topic.

Because of his almost supernatural ability to recall everything from about the age of 1-1/2 on, I had my oldest tested...when he was about 12 (he, of course, could tell me the exact day...lol).

While he didn't meet the threshold of the very rare condition of 'hyperthymesia,' the doctor did kiddingly mention that we may want to avoid arguing with him as to dates/places/events that he's experienced...because we would most likely lose.

We in the family, lovingly call him "our family historian"...who doesn't need a diary to remind him of things.

He was also diagnosed as dyslexic in grade school and struggled with certain things.

The doctor suggested that he developed his highly advanced memory from concentrating on listening to others (mostly quietly hiding in the corner, listening to adults...while the rest of the kids were playing with toys in another room)...so that he could verbalize instead of writing (he had/has pretty bad writing). Buying him a laptop computer when he was in 8th grade, when the cheapest good ones were about $2,500 and up...made a huge difference.

We were fortunate in that before he got his computer, most of his teachers accommodated him and allowed him to verbally perform things like book reports...instead of writing them out by hand.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you have a child/grandchild who seems to do poorly in school and/or handwriting, but otherwise exhibits a very high vocabulary, memory and intelligence/emotional IQ...they well could be dyslexic (or have another condition) and just need accommodations to excel.

Which, in the field he's chosen as a 38 year old adult...he is now doing.
That is nice to hear and James won yet again tonight.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
That is nice to hear and James won yet again tonight.
At $1,225,987 won already, I think his DNA should be tested to ensure he's even human...and not a 'Data' from the future!
Old 04-26-2019, 06:16 PM

I feel sorry for the contestants who have to brave the storm against James!
Old 04-27-2019, 07:39 AM
Gold member

Unless they can find a challenger who can perform like James (combination of great intelligence and a "no fear" betting style), he is going to be around for awhile. Of course he could have a bad day or have a set of unfamiliar categories come up, but I'm thinking he may be the perfect Jeopardy! contestant.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Im sure as time goes by Jeopardy and its powers to be will assemble a list of categories James is not familiar with..It may take time
All about ratings
Old 04-27-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Im sure as time goes by Jeopardy and its powers to be will assemble a list of categories James is not familiar with..It may take time
All about ratings

You could be exactly right!

But on the other hand, because of James' incredible intelligence in so many areas, the Jeopardy ratings must be going through the roof. Everyone is glued to their TV watching him.

I think the Jeopardy powers-that-be will wait until such time that he either surpasses as the all-time winner or is out. Once he is #1, then they may try to get tough with potential topics that are not necessarily his forte.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post

But on the other hand, because of James' incredible intelligence in so many areas, the Jeopardy ratings must be going through the roof. Everyone is glued to their TV watching him.

I think the Jeopardy powers-that-be will wait until such time that he either surpasses as the all-time winner or is out. Once he is #1, then they may try to get tough with potential topics that are not necessarily his forte.
He seems to keep abreast of trivia by reading a lot of children's books. Which is an interesting technique.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post

AS I recall it happened to me one other time

Tags
reminds, cucumber, iceman, cool, jeopardy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.