Jeopardy's Next Host

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2021, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts
Default Jeopardy's Next Host

The producer of the show is now hosting. I didn't catch his name. He said Covid-19 interfered with other host(s) agreeing to come to LA and host, and Ken Jennings had a scheduling conflict.

As our son would say, they must have been pooping Twinkies the last couple of weeks trying to figure this out.

But the producer did a very good job and has a great sense of humor.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,135 Times in 880 Posts

He did quite well. Even got the small audience to laugh at a couple of his jokes.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:43 PM

I think it’s sad that the producers totally ignored Alex Trebek’s own recommendations for his replacement (Laura Coates or Alex Faust).
Old 02-22-2021, 07:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Man View Post
I think it’s sad that the producers totally ignored Alex Trebek’s own recommendations for his replacement (Laura Coates or Alex Faust).
Perhaps they turned it down...?
Old 02-22-2021, 09:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
I thought the producer did a really good job tonight. I'm sure the guy on the right is kicking himself for betting $10,000 on the daily double and missing it, which gave the champion a runaway. Had he only bet $8,000, which is still a lot, he would at least stayed within range, and on Final Jeopardy he could of won the game. He knew the answer and the champion didn't.

I don't think it's sad, it's not a dying wish, he only suggested these names. After he's gone, he's not the one responsible for show continuing it's high ratings. I had no idea who those two names were, so I did a search. Laura Coates is an analyst for CNN and does an Urban View show on XM Radio. Of course I'm sure she would be reminded to keep politics out of it, but that resume doesn't sound like one that would resonate with the audience that Jeopardy draws.

Alex Trebek being Canadian, was also a big hockey fan as I am myself, and Alex Faust is the play-by-play man for the LA Kings. That's a sport that requires quick thinking, spontaneous announcers with shots sometimes coming rapid fire. I'm sure he has the raw talent to handle the job, perhaps they don't think he's a big enough name outside of LA, or as already mentioned, they have turned it down if they were asked.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 02-22-2021, 10:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I thought the producer did a really good job tonight. I'm sure the guy on the right is kicking himself for betting $10,000 on the daily double and missing it, which gave the champion a runaway. Had he only bet $8,000, which is still a lot, he would at least stayed within range, and on Final Jeopardy he could of won the game. He knew the answer and the champion didn't.

I don't think it's sad, it's not a dying wish, he only suggested these names. After he's gone, he's not the one responsible for show continuing it's high ratings. I had no idea who those two names were, so I did a search. Laura Coates is an analyst for CNN and does an Urban View show on XM Radio. Of course I'm sure she would be reminded to keep politics out of it, but that resume doesn't sound like one that would resonate with the audience that Jeopardy draws.

Alex Trebek being Canadian, was also a big hockey fan as I am myself, and Alex Faust is the play-by-play man for the LA Kings. That's a sport that requires quick thinking, spontaneous announcers with shots sometimes coming rapid fire. I'm sure he has the raw talent to handle the job, perhaps they don't think he's a big enough name outside of LA, or as already mentioned, they have turned it down if they were asked.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
To your point about the late double Jeopardy wager of $10,000... I don't think players should bid so much so late in the game. There is too much to lose and not enough time to make up for it. I also don't understand why some players don't bet it all in the bonus round if they could possibly win otherwise. What if they top player gets the answer wrong. It's not like you get to take everything you've earned home. I would go for broke if I were not the top player.

I agree with your assessments of Alex's picks. Obviously the powers that be will want the show to keep its top ranking. But I hope they won't turn it into a celebrity fest. Somebody heretofore relatively unknown or otherwise connected with the show might be the answer. I liked this guy tonight. Especially at the final answer when the one contestant said "I don't have a clue," and the host said, "That's not surprising." Or something like that. My husband and I both thought he has obviously been in front of an audience before.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:39 PM

I thought Ken Jennings did a good job during his turn as guest host.
I also thought the show producer, Mike Richards, did well in his first turn this evening.

The current list of upcoming guest hosts includes:
Katie Couric
Doctor Oz
Aaron Rodgers
Savannah Guthrie
Anderson Cooper
Mayim Bialik
Bill Whitaker
Dr Sanjay Gupta

I haven’t found anything to confirm whether or not they talked to Laura Coates or Alex Faust about participating as guest hosts.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
I thought Ken Jennings did a good job during his turn as guest host.
I also thought the show producer, Mike Richards, did well in his first turn this evening.

The current list of upcoming guest hosts includes:
Katie Couric
Doctor Oz
Aaron Rodgers
Savannah Guthrie
Anderson Cooper
Mayim Bialik
Bill Whitaker
Dr Sanjay Gupta

I haven’t found anything to confirm whether or not they talked to Laura Coates or Alex Faust about participating as guest hosts.
Also, Mike Richards said Covid was a problem with the next hosts, but he actually didn't say all hosts or just the next host (Katie Couric?). More to come, I guess.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

For those who didn't get in on the first thread, here's what was discussed about Ken's performance on Jeopardy.

How’s Ken doing?
Old 02-23-2021, 08:21 AM
Default Article re Jeopardy host

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
The producer of the show is now hosting. I didn't catch his name. He said Covid-19 interfered with other host(s) agreeing to come to LA and host, and Ken Jennings had a scheduling conflict.

As our son would say, they must have been pooping Twinkies the last couple of weeks trying to figure this out.

But the producer did a very good job and has a great sense of humor.
Here is an interview with the producer and current guest host.

'Jeopardy' producer on guest hosts and who will replace Alex Trebek
Old 02-23-2021, 08:30 AM

The producer, Mike Richards, did a good job. Alex Trebek said the show should be about the contestants, not the host. Richards performance shows that a big name is not required.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Laura Coates seems very busy with other stuff.

Laura Coates - Wikipedia

She graduated from the U of MN Law School in 2005. I am Class of 1989. We might have had a few of the same law school professors.

The Attorney General of MN--Keith Ellison -- is Class of 1990 U of Minnesota. It is usually ranked among the top 20 law schools in the US by US News and World Report but looks to be at 21 right now.

Keith Ellison - Wikipedia

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 02-23-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:42 AM

I actually thought the producer did a better job than Ken Jennings. Hire him, they don't need a well=known name on that show. No one had ever heard of Alex.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
I actually thought the producer did a better job than Ken Jennings. Hire him, they don't need a well=known name on that show. No one had ever heard of Alex.
Me too.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
100% agree. He was great.
Closed Thread

Tags
host, producer, twinkies, pooping, couple

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.