Lack of movies on premium channels

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2020, 10:41 AM

Xfinity was doing nearly a month long Watchathon for most of the premium channels and then some - that just ended May 17th. I was able to binge quite a lot of great shows.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

we use Amazon Prime & Hulu. we also watch a lot of free streaming channels like pluto tv, & filmrise has some unique things. as for more recent movies, the only 'new' 1 i saw was 3 from hell, free on shudder thru amazon.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,636 Times in 1,489 Posts
Default Not a fan of most new movies.

I really don't care for most of the newer movies. Some years back the method of acting and production changed. A lot of dialogue was like the actors we're talking very softly, like they were afraid of being over heard. They also did not enunciate, often seeming to mumble. Meanwhile, the "background music" swelled, making the dialogue even more difficult to pick up. I know my hearing is a bit diminished, but if I can pick up every word in an old movie, shouldn't I be able to pick up every word in a new movie with all the high tech mics, mixers and other production enhancements and advancements rather than have the mood music take center stage??
TCM, Comedy.tv, science, history, NATGEO and old Britcom (when I can find them) makes up the bulk of my viewing. Oh, and NHL Center Ice (when hockey stars .
Old 05-22-2020, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
I really don't care for most of the newer movies. Some years back the method of acting and production changed. A lot of dialogue was like the actors we're talking very softly, like they were afraid of being over heard. They also did not enunciate, often seeming to mumble. Meanwhile, the "background music" swelled, making the dialogue even more difficult to pick up. I know my hearing is a bit diminished, but if I can pick up every word in an old movie, shouldn't I be able to pick up every word in a new movie with all the high tech mics, mixers and other production enhancements and advancements rather than have the mood music take center stage??
TCM, Comedy.tv, science, history, NATGEO and old Britcom (when I can find them) makes up the bulk of my viewing. Oh, and NHL Center Ice (when hockey stars .
I love TCM, I try and record at least a couple of movies a week on there. The only current actor that I have hard time hearing is Harrison Ford, he's always spoke in such a low tone. I like the 70s best, my favorite era. The Godfather 1 & 2, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Chinatown, Network, Heaven Can Wait, Alien, The Exorcist, Jaws, American Graffiti, Coma, The Sting, Dirty Harry, The French Connection, Dog Day Afternoon, Taxi Driver, Animal House, Apocalypse Now, The China Syndrome, Deliverance and Mash to name a few from the 70's.

Of course I've got favorites in every decade, current years included. I like the old and the new, but the 70's I like the best. I don't care for the action adventure super hero type movies, maybe a James Bond at best would be OK. Prefer a thriller, crime drama, mystery, something like the Girl on the Train or Gone Girl, movies like those. Good buddy movies also like Sideways, I can watch that movie over and over.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Recommendation

I know that a lot of movies on Netflix and Amazon are just not good. As a suggestion for an outstanding Series I recommend "Turn" on Netflix. It is a series dedicated to the Revolutionary War and it holds your attention and there are a number of Sessions and Episodes included. I don't agree with some of the personalities they assign to characters,
(e.g. George Washington, etc.) but overall it is a good use of time while we wait for the
all clear on the virus.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
...Sideways, I can watch that movie over and over.
Same here.

From your post in general we have very similar tastes in movies.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:44 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinthevillages View Post
Ok this might hurt but if your still paying for an AOL email address you might also consider moving to a free service.
AOL!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
movies, lack, cinemax, hbo, showtime, newer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.