Mr. Selfridge PBS Masterpiece Classics

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2013, 04:55 AM
Sage
Default Mr. Selfridge PBS Masterpiece Classics

Mr. Selfridge | Programs | Masterpiece | PBS

How many of you are enjoying “Mr. Selfridge” on Masterpiece Classics on PBS ???

It reminds us of the big “department stores” of our youth......in the cities ......
even though it is set in London)...
Old 04-27-2013, 05:18 AM
Sage

Yes, my mother and an aunt and I would spend a whole day in one of the department stores in Richmond. Lunch was such a treat.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 04-27-2013, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Love this show, so much going on all the time and so fast paced. Cannot wait to see who takes over running the store this week with Selfridge in a coma - I'm hoping the wife steps in, but I rather doubt it.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-27-2013, 06:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Yes, my mother and an aunt and I would spend a whole day in one of the department stores in Richmond. Lunch was such a treat.
Remember the escalators and elevators?

We all had to take the bus to go "uptown" I guess it was.
I always got uptown and downtown confused.......

We had Bambergers (which is also Macy's), Kresge's, Haynes, Kleins, and a few more that escape me as we haven't lived there since 1965.......and the last time I went shopping there was in 1968 after the riots.......leaving my newborn daughter with her daddy and Godfather for an hour.......while I drove there and parked in an underground garage.

I hadn't seen Newark, N.J. in three years, since 1965........it was quite different.
There were armed police on the street corners with machine guns or so they seemed.........anyway, after that I kept going to the MALLS where we lived.........and then we relocated to Vermont which had small shops on its Main Street..........which is what we've become accustomed to the past 43 years. Small merchants who know their customers. But I still remember the big department stores of my youth with fondness.

Now I prefer to shop online...........for everything........no tax, free shipping, large selection with time to think it over........all of my peers also shop online.........we prefer it. As long as one knows their sizes as well as their grandchildren's sizes........we can buy quality items from good sources online..........and even have them gift wrapped and shipped for free.........or to us, ditto, for free. No tax is also a plus.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Love this show, so much going on all the time and so fast paced. Cannot wait to see who takes over running the store this week with Selfridge in a coma - I'm hoping the wife steps in, but I rather doubt it.
I'm with you. It's a great "escape" to another era.......

I actually found it quite by accident one morning......now we record it.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

It's based on his real life, I like it.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:59 AM

I'm enjoying it. It's a nice alternative to Downton Abby
Old 04-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Veteran member
Default Selfridges

I actually worked in Selfridges in the '70's I was a store detective there! Great place to work.
Mr Selfridge bought and lived in a plasce called Hichcliffe Castle, which is about a 20 minuter drive from where we now live! He is buried in the grounds there.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Remember

I remember back in the 70's on a trip to London and my bag was damaged. I reported it to American Airlines when we landed and they said (a) it was probably the gang that unloaded the luggage from the plane and (b) when I was in London see if it could be repaired or go ahead and replace it and have the store call them for approval to charge it to the airline. I went to Sufridges and picked out a beautiful Itialian Leather suitcase and had them call the airlines and they said go ahead and charge them. I have eaten in Sufridges a number of times and it is a great department store. It is wonderful to hear its background. Who would have guessed.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Gold member

Yes, we're addicted to the show too.......really fun and entertaining, love the era....can't wait for 9pm tonight to again!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.