Murphy Brown

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2018, 03:14 PM
Default Murphy Brown

Anyone have opinions on show rebooting, such as Murphy Brown or Roseanne, etc?

is it that these people run out of money or that they can't come up with any new ideas? That guy who played the Anchor Jim Dyle has to be pushing 90 by now. Wonder if he will be on it again?
Old 01-26-2018, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Look at how many sequels there are in the movies. Television is investing in the the tried and true also. For the people putting up the money it's a safe bet.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2018, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I think the networks are admitting that they are giving us junk to watch and something old is better than some of the trash these days. We hardly ever watch these new shows, we try them once and done! Right now, tonight, I have CSI reruns all night long and I am thrilled ................

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-26-2018, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Viewership numbers will be the ultimate arbiter on whether these new, old, shows...make it.

The networks may be thinking that the longer the old show has been off the air, the better chance it has...with those that were too young back then to watch them.

One thing is for sure, some of the themes that they took on in the original run that were controversial back then...are pretty humdrum these days.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I also think some of it is generational. We were the audiences. The later generations don't watch as much TV, they have other outlets and are more movie focused. We are also more nostalgic, liked things the way they were, not always the way they are. These older shows are comfort food as are a lot of the shows at Savannah and Sharon.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-26-2018, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Viewership numbers will be the ultimate arbiter on whether these new, old, shows...make it.

The networks may be thinking that the longer the old show has been off the air, the better chance it has...with those that were too young back then to watch them.

One thing is for sure, some of the themes that they took on in the original run that were controversial back then...are pretty humdrum these days.
Murphy Brown ran for ten years. When we watched all of the reruns on dvd's when we were out of the country in 2010, they were still relevant and still extremely funny. Candice Bergen is one of our faves. I hope they do the rerun justice.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

And now Magnum P.I and Cagney and Lacy are being rebooted.....time warp..lol

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-26-2018, 10:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I wonder if they're figuring out that all their cheap-filmed virtual reality programming is not flying.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I wonder if they're figuring out that all their cheap-filmed virtual reality programming is not flying.
I admit to being addicted to "Botched" which is probably a virtual reality show - and that is the extent of my reality show viewing. Love Botched. I like the shows where they are helping people who have been botched by a butcher. I will also admit to being intrigued with the people who pay thousands to change their bodies, both male and female.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-27-2018, 07:37 AM
Sage

I am watching CSI Las Vegas. I have Direct and CSI is being rerun on Friday nights, all night. I am really enjoying it, not too much changes in the way people are killed so it does not seem outdated to me - plus Friday night on TV is awful - bring on the reruns.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

What I found the most terrible remake is Charles Bronson's Death Wish from 1974. Yes, coming in March is Bruce Willis in Death Wish. I loved the 80's show Moonlighting, but after Die Hard I can only take so much Bruce Willis action adventure.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 01-28-2018, 11:33 AM
Sage

I just recorded several episodes of "Barney Miller" and "Father Knows Best". Fish, (Abe Vigoda), was hysterical on Barney Miller. Just watched the episode of Fish not getting paid and needed to go to payroll as they had him down as being deceased and he had to prove otherwise. Today's equivalent of being in the "dead" file on social security.

The episode of Murphy Brown in a dream sequence of her and Frank having died in a plane crash and they were at the same funeral home. One being in a casket and the other cremated. Frank said he could stand the thought of being in a confined space and urged Murphy to see who was in the casket as he had a phobia of funerals. She came back and informed him, "she was sleeping alone again" cracked me up.

The show I really want to come back to television is "Taxi" What a cast. The episode of reverend Jim at the DMV is a classic.

BTW - Father Knows Best was a warm picture of a loving family where the parents were very involved with their children.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-28-2018, 11:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I just recorded several episodes of "Barney Miller" and "Father Knows Best". Fish, (Abe Vigoda), was hysterical on Barney Miller. Just watched the episode of Fish not getting paid and needed to go to payroll as they had him down as being deceased and he had to prove otherwise. Today's equivalent of being in the "dead" file on social security.

The episode of Murphy Brown in a dream sequence of her and Frank having died in a plane crash and they were at the same funeral home. One being in a casket and the other cremated. Frank said he could stand the thought of being in a confined space and urged Murphy to see who was in the casket as he had a phobia of funerals. She came back and informed him, "she was sleeping alone again" cracked me up.

The show I really want to come back to television is "Taxi" What a cast. The episode of reverend Jim at the DMV is a classic.

BTW - Father Knows Best was a warm picture of a loving family where the parents were very involved with their children.
Another vote for Taxi, but where are they going to find brilliant comedians/comediens like that nowadays? The original Taxi was sheer genius.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post

When Reverend Jim sat down to play the piano at the uppity party is another classic.

Good stuff.
Closed Thread

Tags
murphy, brown, anchor, jim, dyle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.