NBC news anchor Brian Williams is suspended.

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2015, 09:24 PM
Veteran member
Default NBC news anchor Brian Williams is suspended.

Brian Williams, now former-NBC news anchor has been suspended without pay for 6 months effective immediately because of his lies, distortions and exaggerated involvement in various national news stories. What are your expectations of journalists?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:26 PM

Just give me the news and stop editorializing then there would be no need for them to lie
Old 02-10-2015, 09:30 PM

Give Lester Holt the permanent job.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Gold member

I just heard Meghan Kelly and Brit Hume discussing the post mortem on FNC, and from their tone and sympathy, you'd have thought Mother Theresa had just been crucified.

Gimme a break. The empty suit has been making a fortune and can retire on his NBC retirement investments and then write books and give speeches and keep making a fortune off gullible people.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Veteran member
Default Brian Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
Brian Williams, now former-NBC news anchor has been suspended without pay for 6 months effective immediately because of his lies, distortions and exaggerated involvement in various national news stories. What are your expectations of journalists?
He's not a journalist. He's a news reader. My expectations of a true journalist are honesty, accuracy, confirmation of facts, authentication of sources and objectivity. Sadly, you don't get these things in network TV news anymore. Brian Williams is a "brand" and will show up somewhere again, "as always."
Old 02-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Sage

Journalists should not lie, distort and exaggerate.
I wonder how many others do it too.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I had watched NBC since the days of Huntley Brinkley, never saw Walter Cronkite, not even once. Then whoever else they had, John Chancellor, Tom Browkow and finallaly Brian Williams. A couple of years ago we switched to Diane Sawyer. Brian Williams spoke as if he considered every word and how it played in every corner of America. I have no doubt he was well aware of what he said. Anyway, since Diane retired we continue to watch ABC and their new guy, whoever he is.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:14 AM
Sage
Default David muir

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I had watched NBC since the days of Huntley Brinkley, never saw Walter Cronkite, not even once. Then whoever else they had, John Chancellor, Tom Browkow and finallaly Brian Williams. A couple of years ago we switched to Diane Sawyer. Brian Williams spoke as if he considered every word and how it played in every corner of America. I have no doubt he was well aware of what he said.

Since Diane retired we continue to watch ABC and their new guy, whoever he is.
We watch David Muir each evening on ABC, always having known he was being groomed to follow in Diane Sawyer's footsteps.

Our pet peeve with her was that she spoke too slowly; yet this anchor is often rushing through his sentences too quickly.........but he's a winner.

High achiever from a very young age in Syracuse New York..........went to a prestigious school of journalism in Spain, I believe, after Ithaca College.....also Georgetown University.

He's very intelligent, personable & not hard on the eyes.........a peer of our childrens' generation.

After him, we turn to CBS & Scott Pelley, actually our favorite. Never watched Brian Williams at all. A Sunday favorite of ours is Bob Scheifer, always "says it like it is"........

David Muir
Nov 08, 1973 (age 41) ·

David Jason Muir is an American journalist and anchor of ABC World News Tonight with David Muir, the news department of the ABC broadcast-television network based in New York City.
Muir previously served as the weekend anchor for the flagship ABC News broadcast ABC World News Tonight and co-anchor of the ABC newsmagazine 20/20.

Muir formerly acted as principal substitute for World News with Diane Sawyer on weeknights and then succeeded Sawyer in the anchor chair.

While at ABC News, David Muir has won multiple Academy awards and Edward R. Murrow awards for his journalism both overseas and in the United States.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:25 AM

I would expect journalist be held to the same standard of ministers, teachers and business leaders We will not go into politicians. If any one of them committed the same acts of exaggeration, I would think their respective employers would act in kind or more severely. The reasoning is they represent the employer/organization which depends upon public/customer trust. Once that trust is broken, it takes years to rebuild at a severe economic or social cost.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
We watch David Muir each evening on ABC, always having known he was being groomed to follow in Diane Sawyer's footsteps.

Our pet peeve with her was that she spoke too slowly; yet this anchor is often rushing through his sentences too quickly.........but he's a winner.

High achiever from a very young age in Syracuse New York..........went to a prestigious school of journalism in Spain, I believe, after Ithaca College.....also Georgetown University.

He's very intelligent, personable & not hard on the eyes.........a peer of our childrens' generation.

After him, we turn to CBS & Scott Pelley, actually our favorite. Never watched Brian Williams at all. A Sunday favorite of ours is Bob Scheifer, always "says it like it is"........

David Muir
Nov 08, 1973 (age 41) ·

David Jason Muir is an American journalist and anchor of ABC World News Tonight with David Muir, the news department of the ABC broadcast-television network based in New York City.
Muir previously served as the weekend anchor for the flagship ABC News broadcast ABC World News Tonight and co-anchor of the ABC newsmagazine 20/20.

Muir formerly acted as principal substitute for World News with Diane Sawyer on weeknights and then succeeded Sawyer in the anchor chair.

While at ABC News, David Muir has won multiple Academy awards and Edward R. Murrow awards for his journalism both overseas and in the United States.

I like people who have been trained in journalism because they edit and summarize. I have some in my family who are very ethical.

I also like Lester Holt.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Hope Muir doesn't lie in the next 25 years.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I was disappointed to read that one of the issues in determining Williams fate was that NBC new President was concerned about retaining the number one slot in the evening news. And that slipping to number two could be a reflection of her tenure in the job.

If that was more than just speculative reporting it telegraphs the priorities of those that run the network....and unfortunately the attitude of the day....an assumption the public is either fickle, short memoried or just don't care.

I suspect the 6 months will allow the real outcome to evolve. Lester Holt while not bad is not the favored permanent replacement. It is reasonable to expect the ratings to decline soon. Then we will find out what NBC really wants to do.

Does anyone really believe that Williams credibility will magically return after 6 months?
If remaining number one is the priority does anyone believe the network will let ratings go where they may during a 6 months wait?

I think the Williams incidenents accompanied by the networks reluctance to deal with Williams (ratings or otherwise) together cast the network in an unfavorable light.

Like too many issues of the day we live in, enforcement has become optional!!!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I was disappointed to read that one of the issues in determining Williams fate was that NBC new President was concerned about retaining the number one slot in the evening news. And that slipping to number two could be a reflection of her tenure in the job.

If that was more than just speculative reporting it telegraphs the priorities of those that run the network....and unfortunately the attitude of the day....an assumption the public is either fickle, short memoried or just don't care.

I suspect the 6 months will allow the real outcome to evolve. Lester Holt while not bad is not the favored permanent replacement. It is reasonable to expect the ratings to decline soon. Then we will find out what NBC really wants to do.

Does anyone really believe that Williams credibility will magically return after 6 months?
If remaining number one is the priority does anyone believe the network will let ratings go where they may during a 6 months wait?

I think the Williams incidenents accompanied by the networks reluctance to deal with Williams (ratings or otherwise) together cast the network in an unfavorable light.

Like too many issues of the day we live in, enforcement has become optional!!!
What do you expect would be the concerns of the network president? Of course she wants to keep her network #1. That's the goal of all the networks. And of course she would take the blame if they slipped in the ratings. That's her responsibility.

And why do you feel that the network was reluctant to deal with Williams? They suspended him for six months without pay. That sounds like they've dealt with him. Or maybe you think that he should just be fired. That may happen, in the future, but I would say that they've taken a first step.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
What do you expect would be the concerns of the network president? Of course she wants to keep her network #1. That's the goal of all the networks. And of course she would take the blame if they slipped in the ratings. That's her responsibility.

And why do you feel that the network was reluctant to deal with Williams? They suspended him for six months without pay. That sounds like they've dealt with him. Or maybe you think that he should just be fired. That may happen, in the future, but I would say that they've taken a first step.

I agree. It isn't easy being at the top and thus the big bucks. Rock and a hard place would sum it up.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Sage

As Far far as Brian Williams is concerned, Sgt Joe Friday said it best, "just the facts, mame".

Ratings are what broadcaster are ultimately measure on. Low ratings equals someone being replaced, with a new face".

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.